Dr. Nadimi - Scar Repair Question (No history of hair loss)

Hi. I don’t have a history of hair loss, but I have scars from a c-section mishap from when I was born. They almost look like FUT scars on the back of my head. (Images of my hairline below)

After a recent consultation with Dr. Nadimi, she strongly recommended I opt for an FUE transplant (Around 300-350) grafts. Although, she is fine doing revision as well. 

My question: Is her recommendation for FUE (About 300-350 grafts) the best choice if I want to wear a buzz cut and not have visible scars showing? Or should I opt for scar revision? I have seen debate on whether or not blood supply in scars is good enough for decent results, and I am worried about poor coverage if I simply opt for a FUE over a scar revision.

Aged 22 and Norwood 0.

61DFF351-0F36-4E31-B939-BF9A79966F26.jpeg

06E25899-AB1E-4B8B-BFFA-146663EE829E.jpeg

Edited by Superfueled
  • Like 1

• Superfueled changed the title to Dr. Nadimi - Scar Repair Question (No history of hair loss)

I'd take C-section scars for a NW 0 any day of the week.  Show off! 😜

FUE in a scar is not a sure thing because of the scar tissue, but you're only talking 300 grafts so there's not that much at stake here.  I'd go the FUE route for sure.

• Like 3

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

3 hours ago, aaron1234 said:

I'd take C-section scars for a NW 0 any day of the week.  Show off! 😜

FUE in a scar is not a sure thing because of the scar tissue, but you're only talking 300 grafts so there's not that much at stake here.  I'd go the FUE route for sure.

Me too, easily!

It might be pencil thin, but even if it is it will be noticeable with your hair at that length. 

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Definitely go with FUE. Even if your scar revision is very thin it would be harder to hide then 300 FUE scars. Especially from the Chicago Hair Institute. Most FUT scars still need some length to cover and can leave an indent in surrounding hair. Grafts growing in scar tissue is always a risk but this clinic excels in repairs and I wouldn't be worried about graft survival if you go with Nadimi.

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

• Valued Contributor

I would consult with several of the hair transplant surgeons recommended on this forum and do a little bit more research (such as you have for posting on this forum). It never hurts to get a second and third opinion. When it comes to hair transplants of any type I personally see it as mandatory. Dr Nadami is a well regarded surgeon by the way. In my humble opinion I would opt for FUE as the number required is on the very low side. Wishing you all the best!

• Moderators

Your scars aren't very wide, so I'd go with FUE. With scar revision they will cut out the scar and close it up, but you will probably still be left with a noticeable, but thinner scar. You may hardly even notice much difference. If it was wider then Id try scar revision first to see how thin you can get it, but at the current width I would go with FUE.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

One of the few posts here where the patient's normal hair looks thicker than the donor! I wonder what it'd look like grown out, as the scars are negligible, but of course it's your decision to work on them if it bothers you. I'm sure a quick FUE would patch you up in no time.

4 hours ago, caricatura said:

One of the few posts here where the patient's normal hair looks thicker than the donor!

Agree, that's the first time I've seen the top hair look thicker than the donor (without any previous HTs), maybe some of that is the lighting/angle. Its like he had a hair transplant from the almighty while he was still in the womb! Great job God, need to work on your scarring though big guy. :D

Edited by ciaus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I probably should have asked this earlier but didn’t think about it.

Would I have to shave my hair with an FUE transplant? I sometimes wear my hair at around a 2 or 3, but I’ve seen photos where dudes shave down to a 0 for their transplant procedures.