Transplant This Week

I'm due to get a hair transplant on Thursday so long as nothing unexpected happens between now and then. A bit worried and shitting it as some people might understand. My surgeon is Dr Saifi in Poland. I will probably choose FUE over FUT.

My biggest fear is that the transplant won't work or the density will be shit (which is as good as not working). I've seen loads of posts where people say that one side grows weaker than the other, that's a bit of a worry too.

What are the chances of being heartbroken with an unsatisfying result? 😭

• Administrators

As long as you are realistic in your goals, you should be fine. If you’re expecting your teenage hairline again, then chances are pretty high.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

What counts as realistic though? That's pretty subjective.

Could a NW3 drop to a NW1 again?

@Melvin-Moderator Wouldn't someone who never lost any hair essentially have their teenage hairline forever? I guess I'm just wondering where you draw the line? A hair transplant is also a cosmetic procedure, so why does the patient always have to accommodate their surgeon, rather than their own desires?

Edited by PizzaWolf
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, PizzaWolf said:

@Melvin-Moderator Wouldn't someone who never lost any hair essentially have their teenage hairline forever? I guess I'm just wondering where you draw the line? A hair transplant is also a cosmetic procedure, so why does the patient always have to accommodate their surgeon, rather than their own desires?

Every extra inch you lower your hairline means more area to cover behind it and consequentially less donor. 

I think it's very important to be realistic and desiring to be a NW1 again is anything but that, except for people with a very slow progression of AGA, and a family history of the same. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, PizzaWolf said:

Because a hair transplant is not a miracle. Being realistic isn’t accommodating to the surgeon, it’s being logical to yourself. Hair transplants do not create new hair, it simply re-arranges hair. Once you’ve noticed hair loss, you’ve lost 50-60% of your native density.

You cannot realistically expect to restore your juvenile hairline whilst keeping your donor from being overharvested, even IF possible, you have to take account the future. Hair loss is progressive, the amount of grafts it takes to restore a juvenile hairline ethical surgeons wouldn’t do.

It’s better to do nothing then to go in expecting something unrealistic and end up disappointed. Believe me that is for the patients benefit, not the surgeon. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

As long as you are realistic in your goals, you should be fine. If you’re expecting your teenage hairline again, then chances are pretty high.

Cool. I'm not expecting a 15 year old hairline. Just a nice realistic refurbishment :)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

With a realistic approach you won’t end up heart broken. You have done your research, you chose a good Dr!

I have said it before but I do think FUE is better suited for you. 

Cheers man. I think it'l be FUE.

• Like 1

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Rossybop said:

Cool. I'm not expecting a 15 year old hairline. Just a nice realistic refurbishment :)

Nice, you should be good then mate. Hope you share the journey here, I’m rooting for you 👏🏼

• Thanks 1

View my thread

Anyway, good luck to you on Thursday, Rossybop. :)

You shouldn't worry, man, you've chosen a good surgeon and trust me, having more hair is a great feeling on its own. My first HT didn't yield the coverage I wanted except in the left temporal region but I was happy I could finally have a hairstyle I haven't had in maybe 10 years, even if it wasn't perfect as there was some see-throughness. I just had my second HT at HDC yesterday (I know, should have been a week ago, but it got delayed) and again, what I'm expecting is more hair and a natural result, not perfection, not going back to pre-AGA times.  Please don't be disheartened IF it won't be a perfect result, you've got a lot of area to cover and I don't think Saifi's quote will be enough. So be honest with him, tell him what you expect and perhaps he will either suggest a higher number of grafts or (preferably, and this is my advice too) a more conservative hairline. You're on fin and minox, so you're on the right track, be optimistic. :) Really, really rooting for you.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, UnbaldEagle said:

Anyway, good luck to you on Thursday, Rossybop. :)

You shouldn't worry, man, you've chosen a good surgeon and trust me, having more hair is a great feeling on its own. My first HT didn't yield the coverage I wanted except in the left temporal region but I was happy I could finally have a hairstyle I haven't had in maybe 10 years, even if it wasn't perfect as there was some see-throughness. I just had my second HT at HDC yesterday (I know, should have been a week ago, but it got delayed) and again, what I'm expecting is more hair and a natural result, not perfection, not going back to pre-AGA times.  Please don't be disheartened IF it won't be a perfect result, you've got a lot of area to cover and I don't think Saifi's quote will be enough. So be honest with him, tell him what you expect and perhaps he will either suggest a higher number of grafts or (preferably, and this is my advice too) a more conservative hairline. You're on fin and minox, so you're on the right track, be optimistic. :) Really, really rooting for you.

Maybe I will push him to use more grafts so, because I really want to get a super result and not have to get a top up 6 months down the line.

Best of luck on Thursday. I have been to Marwan twice . Really nice guy and very friendly staff. I went for fut the first time that was about two years ago and then recently had an fue in September. Wish you all the best 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Duke1984 said:

Best of luck on Thursday. I have been to Marwan twice . Really nice guy and very friendly staff. I went for fut the first time that was about two years ago and then recently had an fue in September. Wish you all the best 

Amazing! Do you think he's really good? He seems to estimate a low number of grafts. Cheers.

Yes I would agree that he estimates a low number of grafts. But it’s the placements of the grafts that is important. My first operation I got 2000grafts and was delighted with the results. My second op was 1600 grafts. More in the crown area. 
He does one operation a day so all the attention is on you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Because a hair transplant is not a miracle. Being realistic isn’t accommodating to the surgeon, it’s being logical to yourself. Hair transplants do not create new hair, it simply re-arranges hair. Once you’ve noticed hair loss, you’ve lost 50-60% of your native density.

You cannot realistically expect to restore your juvenile hairline whilst keeping your donor from being overharvested, even IF possible, you have to take account the future. Hair loss is progressive, the amount of grafts it takes to restore a juvenile hairline ethical surgeons wouldn’t do.

It’s better to do nothing then to go in expecting something unrealistic and end up disappointed. Believe me that is for the patients benefit, not the surgeon. 

Is moving from a NW3 to a NW1 a miracle? Does a NW1 count as juvenile?

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, PizzaWolf said:

Is moving from a NW3 to a NW1 a miracle? Does a NW1 count as juvenile?

What do you consider Norwood 1 can you give an example? 

This is -Norwood 2 

image.jpeg

In my opinion, this is a solid Norwood 1

image.jpeg

• Like 1

View my thread

59 minutes ago, Duke1984 said:

Yes I would agree that he estimates a low number of grafts. But it’s the placements of the grafts that is important. My first operation I got 2000grafts and was delighted with the results. My second op was 1600 grafts. More in the crown area. 
He does one operation a day so all the attention is on you. 

Cool. Did you get good density and a very satisfying result first time around? He's estimated 1,800 grafts for me.

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, PizzaWolf said:

@Melvin-Moderator

Zayn Malik I consider kind of goofy looking, so I don't even know. His hairline to facial proportions are off.

A solid NW1 in my opinion:

David Muir (@DavidMuir) | Twitter

I would categorize that as a Norwood 0, the temples are closed off. A Norwood 1 has minor temple recession.

image.jpeg

View my thread

• Administrators
2 hours ago, PizzaWolf said:

@Melvin-Moderator So you would put that classification of Norwood 0 as off-limits for a hair transplant?

Yes, I don’t think that’s a good idea. Can it be done? Yes, should it be done? In my opinion, no. 

• Like 1

View my thread

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, PizzaWolf said:

What do think is the HT limit of aggressiveness for hairlines?

It depends on current hair loss, medication, age, and family history. Technically, if you’re older, have minimal hair loss and take medication, I think you can be pretty aggressive. 

Here’s a prime example, mid-40’s, on Propecia for 10+years, and had over 3,000 grafts to restore an aggressive hairline. Anymore than this doesn’t make sense to me personally.

View my thread