3,000 FUE Hair Transplant (with Photos)

Good day to you all,

I received my 1st hair transplant of 3,000 grafts in May 2020 and it's now beginning of December 2020. So that's been about 6-7 months. I am attaching photos so you can get the overall picture.

I had receding hairline in the front. My crown area, as well as the overall top of my head, was losing hair, too. The clinic advised that they would fill 2,000 grafts in the front to cover the hairline, and then distribute the remaining grafts (1,000) all over the other areas. I went to 2 different clinics and got the same consultation. Also, I live in Vietnam.

My goal is to get a good coverage and minimize the visibility of my scalp. In other words, density is key to me.

I am now at the Month 6/7 mark. In all its fairness, I do recognize that I have hair in areas where I didn't before, but also notice that the hair, in fact, grows in length but lacks density. The scalp in the crown area is still visible. and the front looks sparse.

I only begin using Minoxidil 5% (evening) paired with pomelo tonic water (morning) 2 weeks ago. I didn't use it in previous months and am worried that might be the cause of the low density.

How would you rate my progress thus far? And is there anything I can do now to boost the coverage?

Thank you in advance!

49864015952_f2874c2e20_o.thumb.jpg.7457f8373094c1d77f8a92cef9bdf6ba.jpgIMG_8695.thumb.jpg.db4721c72ab991118e363a6450364bfb.jpgIMG_8693.thumb.jpg.8539b84cb8f4841c3355cd8de917a5aa.jpg49897650036_320e6bae0e_o.thumb.jpg.24231ae461e100e084d5ecdff5310e76.jpgIMG_8755.thumb.jpg.49fe92eab488cdec21acb17db4f7013c.jpgIMG_8693.thumb.jpg.8539b84cb8f4841c3355cd8de917a5aa.jpg

6 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

You do have growth and it’s only at the mid way point. However I’m not sure that 3000 grafts is enough for the large area it covered.

You may look to add to the density in the future. Happy continued growth 🙏

Thank you JohnAC71 for your encouragement! Initially, the clinic wanted to just cover the front with all 3,000 grafts but I thought it'd make the crown region looks... empty. So I agreed to split as mentioned. But I do see what you mean.

I do hope that by the time Month-12 rolls around, I am a hairier person. Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

• Like 1

Just now, Vincent Taylor said:

Thank you JohnAC71 for your encouragement! Initially, the clinic wanted to just cover the front with all 3,000 grafts but I thought it'd make the crown region looks... empty. So I agreed to split as mentioned. But I do see what you mean.

I do hope that by the time Month-12 rolls around, I am a hairier person. Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

You will definitely be hairer as month 12 rolls around. You can then evaluate and see if it’s enough. I can see the clinics point of view. 3000 grafts for the frontal third is usual. Please keep posting your progress though as these are the best months in the timeline! 

• Thanks 1

6 months is still too early you might see a growth spurt in the coming months. Are you on Finasteride? Did the clinic not recommend minoxidil and Finasteride at time of surgery? 

Edited by deitel130
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, deitel130 said:

6 months is still too early you might see a growth spurt in the coming months. Are you on Finasteride? Did the clinic not recommend minoxidil and Finasteride at time of surgery? 

Thank you Deitel130! That's exactly what I am hoping for.

No, the clinic didn't prescribe me with Finasteride or Minoxidil at the time of surgery. I also looked it up and there were sources saying the meds weren't necessary. Hence, I decided not to take them and went "au natural" with the post-op care :)

I only started Minoxidil 5% and pomelo tonic water 2 weeks ago because I was concerned about my growth rate, as you can see in my photos.

So let's see what will unfold in the upcoming months. Fingers crossed!

Always appreciate your words of encouragement.

Cheers,

Edited by Vincent Taylor

You don't need the clinic to prescribe Finasteride, your doctor can do it as well. They should have discussed the meds with you for further loss to your native hair. MBP is meant to be progressive so not taking meds means non transplanted hair in the recipient area will continue to thin and be lost. The information you read regarding not needing meds if you have a HT is inaccurate and others here will mention the same. You still have 6 more months so hopefully it all grows out nice but I would start the meds if I were you to prevent further loss. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

6 months is early, try not to get disparaged. Hope you get a great result, keep us updated 🙌🏼

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

Quick update on the progress.

Attached photo is where I am now at 9-month mark. I notice improvement in density as well as texture of the hair, better overall coverage, and thicker hair body. The photo was taken under regular light, not sunlight. Under the sunlight, I can still see the scalp, especially the crown area.

After my 6-month mark, I had to incorporate Finasteride, Minox 5%, Biotin, Fish oil (Omega-3) to my daily hair care routine. Also, wash my hair every other day with herbal-based shampoo and with Nirozal 2% once a week.

Hope to get your thoughts on this?

Thanks!

IMG_2894.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

Quick question…

I’ve been on Finas 1mg and Minix 5% for about 5 months now and the hair has filled up nicely (I had 3000 FUE a year ago). 

But now at this Month 5 of Finasteride 1mg and Minox 5%, I notice the hairs start falling about again, and by a lot. Most of the hairs are thin (not thin like peach hair, but not as thick as the regular healthy ones… maybe somewhere in between). They fall out when I apply Minox or when I run my fingers through the hair. 

Is it normal for the hair to fall or shed after 5 months being in finas 1mg and Minox 5%? Is there a shedding cycle?

Thanks!

On 5/22/2021 at 7:49 PM, Vincent Taylor said:

Hi guys,

Quick question…

I’ve been on Finas 1mg and Minix 5% for about 5 months now and the hair has filled up nicely (I had 3000 FUE a year ago). 

But now at this Month 5 of Finasteride 1mg and Minox 5%, I notice the hairs start falling about again, and by a lot. Most of the hairs are thin (not thin like peach hair, but not as thick as the regular healthy ones… maybe somewhere in between). They fall out when I apply Minox or when I run my fingers through the hair. 

Is it normal for the hair to fall or shed after 5 months being in finas 1mg and Minox 5%? Is there a shedding cycle?

Thanks!

its just same for me @Vincent Taylor..its almost 5 months i am on fin...i can see shedding on daily basis when i touch or run my fingers but density is really normal.... maybe its normal to have such a phase between 3-6 months

Edited by Wandererind

8 hours ago, Wandererind said:

its nust

its just same for me @Vincent Taylor..itd almost 5 months i am on fin...i can see shedding on daily basic when i touch or run my fingers but density is really normal.... maybe its normal to have such a phase between 3-6 months

Ok good if the density is normal. I’m hoping the shedding of the thin hairs won’t show my scalp. Fingers crossed.