Are there any combination to reduce DHT, but boost testosterone?

organix

Hi all, been years since I posted - hope all is well with everyone. Recently I've noticed a distinct lack in libido and my erections have been non existent for over 6 months now, so I have started looking into boosting my testosterone. I am not taking any hair loss meds. However, with the increase in DHT boosting test might cause - is there any way I can take some kind of DHT blocker to keep my hair, along with some kind of test booster? It is starting to recede again, and starting to reveal a temple transplant I had back in 2007. It seems that I can either go bald, with no erectile disfunction. Or have erectile disfunction but keep my hair.

I know people say that only 2% of people suffer ED with things like propecia - but I am not comfortable taking this. ED has been a problem in my life before, and I don't want to encourage it further! I was going to try saw palmetto, but been reading mixed reports. Hope somebody can provide some discussion here and food for thought!

• Administrators

Technically, finasteride will temporarily boost testosterone by reducing DHT. There’s not anything that you can take that’s herbal that would work. You can try pygeum. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Personally, when I was on Finasteride temporarily prior to my HT and just a month after, I notice happening , what @Melvin-Moderator mentions , I felt my testosterone was being boosted especially when I was hitting the gym...after I stopped Finasteride I started taking Nettle Root extract to help both with DHT and boosting testosterone naturally (Nettle Root extract stops testosterone from binding to SHBG receptors and allows it to be free in the blood). Since March of this year I started taking a zinc supplement to help keep my immune system in tip top shape and free of the Rona and also notice a slight boost in my strength when working out now than prior. It’s anecdotal as I haven’t had any blood work done to see for sure, but I feel the difference.

Go to your doc get your testosterone levels and your Zinc levels checked (low zinc & magnesium is detrimental to men’s health)  and look into Nettle Root extract.

Edited by CosmoKramer
  • Like 1

You need to check your shbg levels to see how much of your total test is actually free test, and it could be possible that your problems stem from high estrogen aromatization. 

lower the dose of fin, try topical fin, or try something like CB which has looks promising for safety profile 

18 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Technically, finasteride will temporarily boost testosterone by reducing DHT. There’s not anything that you can take that’s herbal that would work. You can try pygeum. 

Thanks Melvin, I'll check pygeum out

15 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

Personally, when I was on Finasteride temporarily prior to my HT and just a month after, I notice happening , what @Melvin-Moderator mentions , I felt my testosterone was being boosted especially when I was hitting the gym...after I stopped Finasteride I started taking Nettle Root extract to help both with DHT and boosting testosterone naturally (Nettle Root extract stops testosterone from binding to SHBG receptors and allows it to be free in the blood). Since March of this year I started taking a zinc supplement to help keep my immune system in tip top shape and free of the Rona and also notice a slight boost in my strength when working out now than prior. It’s anecdotal as I haven’t had any blood work done to see for sure, but I feel the difference.

Go to your doc get your testosterone levels and your Zinc levels checked (low zinc & magnesium is detrimental to men’s health)  and look into Nettle Root extract.

Thanks also for the reply, very interesting things to look into. I'm just a little bit weary of finasteride. I didn't know it boosted testosterone though. So you're taking nettle root to keep the hair, and zinc is giving a gym boost. Interesting, I am taking a test boost supplement with zinc in it (no idea if it will work). I need to get my blood tested, right now cos of the old covey everything is shut down

15 hours ago, TorontoMan said:

I'll need to read up on SHBG, have no idea what it is. What is CB, hair loss medication? I really want to keep my libido, get rid of ED and keep hair. It's a cruel twist that it's so hard to do all at once

13 hours ago, Gatsby said:

The best way to increase your free testosterone levels is by weight resistance training. Unfortunately if you are genetically predisposed to MPB this can have a down side.

thanks for taking time to reply, I'm a gym regular, and reasonably in shape, they keep closing the gyms here though. Maybe it's because all 2020 I've not been consistently able to work out I'm having problems. Is free testosterone related to DHT?

I'm going to go to a private doctor to discuss, here in the UK the NHS just is useless when it comes to this kind of stuff

11 hours ago, organix said:

Thanks also for the reply, very interesting things to look into. I'm just a little bit weary of finasteride. I didn't know it boosted testosterone though. So you're taking nettle root to keep the hair, and zinc is giving a gym boost. Interesting, I am taking a test boost supplement with zinc in it (no idea if it will work). I need to get my blood tested, right now cos of the old covey everything is shut down

I should probably rephrase when I said “boosted” it’s more that Finasteride helped my testosterone be more prominent because there was less DHT to compete with so boosted is probably the wrong word. 
Yes, I’ve been taking a few capsules of nettle root daily over the course of the day for a couple years now and there is some clinical evidence that it helps with DHT and Testosterone, most male testosterone boosting supplements may have it as an ingredient or may have the weaker nettle leaf extract in it but I stick to the root extract. And yes, I’ve been taking 1-2 capsules of a zinc/copper combo (15-30mg zinc) daily since March to keep healthy from any cold/flu/corona and have read up on its help with male testosterone issues as many signs of deficiencies of zinc can be hair loss, lack of libido, low testosterone...and i feel it’s helped me all around...

You can google testosterone home test kit and purchase one as you may be able to order one and send it to the lab and they will tell you your results, if you are unable to get it done in person.