Proposed hairline photos from leading clinics

Hey guys,

My research phase is drawing to a close and I'm about to choose a surgeon pretty shortly.

I want to make sure my pre-op photos are good enough for everyone to evaluate for the before and after stages. I've tried to mix in a variety of lighting brightnesses and flash settings.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Hey guys,

My research phase is drawing to a close and I'm about to choose a surgeon pretty shortly.

I want to make sure my pre-op photos are good enough for everyone to evaluate for the before and after stages. I've tried to mix in a variety of lighting brightnesses and flash settings.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Nice clear pictures. I noticed that the H & W proposed hairline is the most conservative with the frontal region restoration. It looks like you went in for a in person consultation as it was the only one that had marker on your actual head. I wonder if they know something about your future loss that the other clinics that the others dont (i.e. evidence of more hair minaturziation) and went more conservative.

My personal favorite is that from the Shapiro group. I like the lowered hairline ... only because that is what is bothering me about my hairline .. the "high forehead".

From reading posts for the past year or so it sounds like the three doctors you are considering are well regarded on the forum and would all make fine choices, though admittedly I have no experience with any of them.

SDM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that the H&W hairline was also drawn onto his photo digitally. It seems they just took additional time to define the exact shape.

Generic1, is there any particular reason why those hairlines have all been drawn on photos of your head taken from different angles? It would probably be ideal to compare potential hairlines if all clinics used exactly the same base photo to draw their interpretation of your new hairline.

Have you had a previous transplant? If not, I fear for those hairs you have up front now if you plant too closely to them. You have a very nicely defined hairline now.

With that said, the Wong one by a mile, the last one is WAYYYYYYYY to aggressive IMO for our age cohort.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

At first I liked Shapiro's, but after thinking about it I'd go less aggressive with the Wong hairline; and fill in the crown.

The way your hair looks, I'd be wanting to eliminate that spot on the crown; even if it meant a little higher hairline.

I didn't have the same luxury, as a diffuse thinner.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Originally posted by Mane Attraction:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that the H&W hairline was also drawn onto his photo digitally. It seems they just took additional time to define the exact shape.

Hasson & Wong are the only ones who offer this service as a function of their online consultation, so yes, more time was taken in the process of rendering the photo digitally. But I wouldn't penalize the other two in comparison though, being as how they don't normally offer the feature. I liked the service so much that I requested it from the other prospective clinics, and they were kind enough to accommodate me. I think everyone should offer it. It's a great way to manage expectations.

??? The Hasson & Wong photos were taken by me with my laptop camera. After looking at the lighting quality of some other photos on this site, mine left something to be desired. So if there's an apples-to-oranges effect going on here, I apologize.

??? The Epstein photos were taken by their patient coordinator on a visit to me here in San Francisco. They were more for the surgeon to evaluate back in Miami, than for the me, the patient.

??? The Shapiro photos were taken by myself after I went out and finally bought a digital camera. (Which I should've done in the first place.)

Originally posted by ShavedDethMonk:

I like the lowered hairline ... only because that is what is bothering me about my hairline .. the "high forehead".

Yes, absolutely. It's tough for those of us born with huge, high foreheads to resist thinking of hair transplantation as a cosmetic way to mitigate that fact, instead of just the hair loss, (which is what we should be focused on). It's not that we want high-school hairlines per se (a la Robert Pattinson) we just wish for more natural forehead-to-face ratios.

(And no Mane Attraction, I have had no previous hair transplants. Virgin scalp, for the moment.)

That is wise.

Well, first off - IMO, anyone can draw a hairline as they did above. Did you get graft estimates from each doc. For you to lower your hairline as in the one which is most extreme would be a megasession, maybe two.

Originally posted by HairHope:

Did you get graft estimates from each doc. For you to lower your hairline as in the one which is most extreme would be a megasession, maybe two.

I did receive graft estimates.

??? Hasson & Wong recommended 1500 for the hairline and a minimum of 2000 grafts on the crown.

??? Epstein recommended 2400-2700 for the hairline, with little or no work recommended on the crown.

??? Shapiro Medical Group recommended "1500 -2300, maybe 2500" for the hairline and 800-1000 for the crown.

Before going further, I should mention I have a very rare learning disorder called dyscalculia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia

Numbers, spatial relations, even reading a map, is very difficult for me. So if there's ever a discrepancy regarding numbers, it's usually my fault. Anything that has to do with the abstraction of quantity is very hard for me to understand.

That's kind of why I needed the pictures. It was easier for me to figure out how the numbers corresponded to the hairlines. Still, the large variation in graft recommendations was pretty distressing.

Thanks for the update, I fully appreciate you letting us know. HT is not an easy thing to decide for all of us.

In my opinion, given the counts - I think you would get the best result with the Wong suggestion keeping your hairline fairly conservative and using 1500 (which is not a lot of grafts you will find).

Everyone here has a lot of experience and you are wise to take your time.

Best of luck.

Originally posted by generic1:
Originally posted by HairHope:

Did you get graft estimates from each doc. For you to lower your hairline as in the one which is most extreme would be a megasession, maybe two.

I did receive graft estimates.

??? Hasson & Wong recommended 1500 for the hairline and a minimum of 2000 grafts on the crown.

??? Epstein recommended 2400-2700 for the hairline, with little or no work recommended on the crown.

??? Shapiro Medical Group recommended "1500 -2300, maybe 2500" for the hairline and 800-1000 for the crown.

Before going further, I should mention I have a very rare learning disorder called dyscalculia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia

Numbers, spatial relations, even reading a map, is very difficult for me. So if there's ever a discrepancy regarding numbers, it's usually my fault. Anything that has to do with the abstraction of quantity is very hard for me to understand.

That's kind of why I needed the pictures. It was easier for me to figure out how the numbers corresponded to the hairlines. Still, the large variation in graft recommendations was pretty distressing.

1500 would be a nice amount for the hairline HW quoted but if you have the funds I think 3500- 4000 would be perfect.

You could fill in your crown and not go as conservative as HW quoted for the hairline /temples.

Somewhere in between all 3 clinics drawings is what I would do

You still have alot of hair and your donor looks good .

Its your head so whatever you do choose a clinic that is known for hairline work and can dense pack.

The last thing you want is a hairline that doesnt closely match your existing hair as far as look .

You have narrowed this down so far to 2 great clinics and one so so icon_smile.gif

To me you still are pretty young with very little significant loss. If I were you I would not do anything yet and start taking Finesteride and Minoxodil to see how you react to that. If you were to do anything though I definatly would not lower your hairline to much because you can never predict future loss!

Im not sure if people caught you were 34 NOT 24. Your side profile looks strong it still looks lke you have nice density in the forelock region.

I think if you go with a more aggressive hairline you need to be willing to have additional procedures in the future as your hair loss progresses. If you have your heart set on one procedure than a conservative hairline is a wiser path.

You cannot go wrong with any of the Physicians you are considering. Being as young as you are you might want to think about the commitment you will be making if you graft the crown area now. I would recommend finishing the most important area first (Hairline) before starting a secondary project. If you understand the commitment you are making and are willing to do more transplants if the crown area expands with aging, then grafting the crown at the same time would be acceptable.

I also vote the Shapiro proposal. If you were 24, i might think otherwise. The Wong hairline is a bit too conservative.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

I love how the ages keep going up for a transplant .

Next thing will guys 50 and nw3 being told to go conservative cause you never know..

Most guys with your loss and native hair will not be happy going too conservative .

Best thing you can do is go see a clinic and let then check your donor and laxity and get their opinion.

Do whats going to make you happy . Nothing worse then having surgery and being unhappy.

I wouldnt go super aggressive but also not too conservative . Somewhere in the middle.

One thing about Shapiro is he does a good job of getting you to your goal without sacrificing grafts that may be needed in the future

What I meant was you have a whole lot of hair left and while not to young you are still young enough where you could progress furthur and may want those grafts to do some thickening up on top of the head when you are older. Maybe it's the pics but your hairline doesnt appear to be to high. The only thing I would say is to close in the temples a little. Also propecia could work wonders for your crown.

It's a question of whether you want to have a more robust, bold hairline; or not, and "save"/"use" those grafts down the road, if you need them, to address areas behind and create density there. And this isn't to say you can't end up doing both.

You are getting a HT. The path has been set. You are doing battle w/ MPB. You will be using *all* of your grafts possible -- allocate them wisely to get the desired result you truly want and that is worth the risk. Little sense in hoarding them once you set foot on this course, IMO.

It's a judgment call, at the end of the day, that you have to make with your elite doctor of choice, and that you should make once you're aware of the +'s and -'s between various courses.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!