Can you carefully trim your hair a few week after a FUE?

In the process of researching a FUE.

I've been reading about other guys experiences, and one thing I've noticed is how messy their hair is once it starts to grow back. I know you can't buzz it but could you or a hairdresser you trust at least carefully trim some of the hair with scissors to make it neater? I don't understand how these guys can go to work and everything else with such overgrown hair? 😄

I've googled this back when i had my procedures and the different times you'll find, some even from doctors, range from weeks on up into the ridiculous, like months. The grafts are secure after 10 days. You can play it extra safe and wait until 2 or 3 weeks if you are going to a barber that cuts other people's hair -their blades and scissors having other people's bacteria etc may slightly increase the infection risk if you have some surface skin healing still finishing.

This is about a study where they actually pulled out hairs in the immediate days after procedures to see when the grafts are secure:

https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/research/graft-anchoring-in-hair-transplantation/

And this is from a highly recommended doctor on this forum:

https://fellermedical.com/haircut-hair-transplant/

When can patients cut their hair after a transplant?

I recommend waiting 10 days before cutting the hair. This allows the grafts time to fully “anchor” and become permanent — so there is no risk of dislodging or damaging them during a haircut. It also usually allows enough time to get the stitches or staples removed in the case of an FUT or mFUE procedure. The stitches or staples should be removed before the hair is cut. This avoids any issues with the clippers or scissors hitting the staples/stitches or the healing wound, and it allows the barber to clearly see the entire area and properly trim the hair.

• Like 1

I buzzed mine all over both recipient and donor once the shedding took place  ..2.5 weeks...and continued to buzz every 10 days or so up to month 4 where I then started to grow it out..

I think Asmed and the like suggest waiting 6 months before a buzz which quite frankly is ridiculous..

Technically after  7 to 10 days you can do what you like upstairs without being too reckless..

• Like 1

Thanks, guys, very helpful.

I doubt I'd be brave enough to buzz it. Just have it super carefully tidied up, as little as possible, with scissors, and by a trusted hair dresser. Definitely wouldn't go to someone randomly.

I trimmed my hair about 2 weeks post op. Just the longer hairs around the top, to tidy it up. I used professional hair cutting scissors, which are super sharp and do not snag hair, you should be fine, just be careful and use proper scissors or just go to a salon. 

Edited by Kruchie
  • Like 1

• Administrators

When you say trim your hair, do you mean the donor? 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Just be very careful when using a clipper post-op.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators
5 hours ago, jc80220 said:

Are you talking to me, Melvin? I mean the whole thing, I guess. Just keeping the hair presentable.

I would wait to clip the top, grafts are still fresh. I would wait a few weeks until you can buzz it.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...