Rogaine/minoxidil sexual side effects?????

Norcal

Ok, here's the deal. I'm 20 years old. I took propecia for 3.5 months, and stopped due to side effects, namely ed and extremely watery semen. Sexual side effects weren't worth it for me. I got off it in early January. Everything cleared up in a week after stopping. So I tried rogaine foam about a 3 weeks after quitting propecia. About 4 days in I started getting ed. I wasn't sure what it was from, and I feared that it was lingering effects from the propecia. But I stopped taking the rogaine and 2 days later everything was fine. I did notice that literally five-ten minutes after applying the rogaine (the correct half a capful, no more mind you) my tool would shrink in its flaccid state. Like it would literally shrivel up. So decided to lay off the minoxidil for a while. Then 2 months later, decided that since everything was functioning fine that I should try the minoxidil again. ED was not even a listed side effect, so I convinced myself it must have been the propecia. The first week of the minoxidil I got EXTREMELY aroused. I had to masturbate twice a day. This seemingly proved to myself that the minoxidil was fine. Then, everything came crashing down, and I started experiencing ED again. I took the rogaine foam for 3 more weeks (4 total) and then quit because the ED was getting ridiculous and quite embarrassing for a college student when with a girl. I figured whatever, I'll go bald, but I'm not going to lose my sexual function at the age of 20. There's been just one problem. A MONTH after stopping the rogaine and I am STILL experiencing ED. My libido was slightly lower when on rogaine and has recovered, but my ability to get it up has NOT. I'll see a girl or watch a sexually arousing video and will think "o man, that girls hot" like I normally would, but there is no action downstairs. I'm not saying I want a raging hard-on like when I was in middle school, but while not on rogaine I would have some connection down there.

Does anyone know what rogaine could possibly have done to me? I know it utilizes nitric oxide an important aspect of erections and ejaculation. Could this be cause?

I doubt my testosterone is low since I have my normal libido, but could my estrogen possibly be high now? I have gained some belly fat. I didn't think rogaine could effect hormones, but how is the massive increase in libido explained during the first week of rogaine?

I'm going to see a urologist in a week, but if anyone else has experienced any of these effects or has any advice it would be greatly appreciated!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A significant part of ED is psychological.

You are too young to have ED.

and extremely watery semen

Finasteride if will DECREASE the level of fluid in your semen.

take care...

Of course I'm too young to have ED! Why do you think it concerns me so much??? And please no more responses, "It's probably just in your head." I KNOW what my sexual function and general feeling of my tool was before the rogaine and it certainly has been diminished significantly. I should add that at times in the flaccid state, it feels cold and numb (as if there is not enough blood flow to it).

I would guess that it's a hangover from the effects of the finasteride and your body still hasn't normalised, simply because some people take a while/never fully recover, and it is more known for causing ED than Rogaine it.

But everyone is different, it could be the Rogaine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man I would just like to let you know I am having the exact same symptoms. However, I have yet to try propecia. So I am now thinking what I/we are experiencing is defiantly due to the rogaine.

My time line is different though. I was on rogaine for roughly 3 months before stopping 6 months ago due to lazyness. During those 3 months I did experience minor ED, it basically took much longer to achieve decent hardness but I never put the two together. But, everything went back to normal after I stopped using it. About 2 months ago I again started applying rogaine twice a day to my hairline and crown. And just like you for the week my labido was a monster, sex twice a day with the girlfiend along with major urges to masturbate had me thinking this stuff was f-ing amazing. (The rogaine was the only thing I had added to my life so it had to be the reason for the spike, my girlfriend isn't that attractive.) However after that first week everything came crashing down. Basically I can not get wood for the life of me. Forgive me for being graphic but If I masturbate long enough I can still ejaculate, but I never get hard. I have continued taking it for for roughly 3-4 weeks since the symptoms first arose, hoping that my body is just adjusting to the chemical. However that has not happened and I am becoming concerned.

I'm 27 and other then my narcissism associate with my hairloss I am in perfect health, I run, lift, nearly everyday I should not be having these problems. Tonight I am ceasing my rogaine use and if things don't get better in a week or two I'm going to go to a urologist.

One thing is interesting though. I wonder if experiences are tied to the fact we both started stopped and started using rogaine again.

Anyway please let me know what the urologist tells you/ or has told you about your condition.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

For a start, very sorry to hear that you've been having problems, it's not exactly what you need on top of losing hair!

Minoxidil should not affect hormone levels as it is a)topical and b)not targeted at DHT like Finasteride

However, something is obviously having an effect, and I'm not going to tell you both it's all in your head, it could be, but that doesn't mean you should rule out looking for a way to stop it in case it isn't!

I don't actually use Rogaine Foam, so I have no idea what's in it, but could it be something else apart from Minoxdil having an effect? You could try searching the ingredients, see if any of them have hormonal effects, bearing in mind the internet is full of morons so don't take anything at face value, if it's suggested, look further into it.

If you don't get any joy there, take the ingredients to either a urologist or even just a GP, and ask the question (quite embarrassing I know)

And please if either of you get an answer, come back and share, some of the guys on here put a great amount of effort into data collecting for us all to use, and the input would be valuable.

• 3 months later...

I have been using rogaine for quite a few years without any noticeable side effects - then I began increasing my dosage of rogaine foam to 2+ times a day and noticed the same sexual side effects you mentioned. I was so confused as to what was causing it at first, then stopped using rogaine for a week and the side effects went away. I'm back on rogaine in the meantime because I'm afraid all of my hair will fall out but am anxious to get off this stuff ASAP.

What did you end up finding out? Please share your experience!

Thanks.

Originally posted by Norcal:

I knew this was pointless. But just so you know, I'm not the only one complaining about sexual side effects from rogaine...

http://www.askapatient.com/vie...TRENGTH%20(FOR%20MEN)

• 2 months later...

I've been on Rogaine for 3 months and have noticed the same symptoms (weak errections, loss of sex drive). I have also noticed that my penis has gotten smaller over the past 3 months (by about an inch). I never connected the problem to Rogaine because I thought the stuff never entered my bloodstream (it isnt ingested) but it doesn't matter. Somehow this stuff causes those side effects. I am looking to get off Rogaine. It is amazing for hairloss, so I don't want to discontinue unless I have something to switch to, so if anyone knows of anything else that regrows hair (with no sexual side effects), please post it here.

is it just me or does anyone else think the same guy just keeps reregistering to complain about rogaine....?

my reg is:

propecia 1mg EVERYDAY

minox 5% twice daily (f the foam)

nizoral 1%

say la V old buddies .... i'm tryin to keep you

I cant tell if Rogaine causes sexual side effects for me because I use both Rogaine and Propecia, and I know for a fact that Propecia causes me to have sexual side effects. Since I started using Propecia first, and I started having the side effects within the first week or two, Im assuming its just the Propecia. I have never used just Rogaine, only a combination of both.

Luckily Im married and never get laid anyways, so it doesnt matter.

Right now I think that it does cause side effects. I've been using ketoconazole (alternative to minox) and experiance the same symptons - I thought it was the proscar but I've been experimenting:

http://hair-restoration-info.c...66060861/m/404101445

I might try the minox foam. But if I was you I wouldnt switch to ketoconazole.

@why oh why, I don't think this guy is complaining - I think like me and many others this guy probably just wants a solution icon_smile.gif

-------------------------------------
700 graphs is never enough! 

Collection of useful links (profiles etc): https://bit.ly/3JC2xwS

Hey Norcal, Cubbieblue and la77.

Please update your progress. How long did the symptoms last and did a urologist help?

I am experiencing the same problem after using minoxidil on and off for the last 18 months. Erections became more difficult to get and softer but I put it down to ageing and then for a while a stressful relationship. In the last month though I stopped using it and erections are now almost impossible. I just got a blood sample taken yesterday to test a load of stuff because my doctor is puzzled. I never made the connection to minoxidil til just reading your posts. I'm freaking out so any info would be really appreciated!

I would NOT use Rogaine again.

Here is my story: 4 years back, bought rogaine from the store counter. i used 3-5 days and i realised my penis started losing sensation. I stopped using rogaine any more & i decided to somehow masturbate & i was suprise instead of sperm there came out brown black liquid. With days i started getting better and now i am ok.

But now i am about to get married and this 4 years back incident is making me worried that wheather i will be able to give birth to child or not. Please Advise me.

• 4 months later...

Can any of you who have had the sexual side effects from Rogaine please update your condition? Have you improved? Did a urologist/endocronologist determine what the problem was and fix it?

Im going through the exact same problems and ive been off it for 8 months now. I was using the 5% minoxidil.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am 26 yrs old and i am suffering from MPB from the past 5 years. I have been using minoxidil from the past 3 yrs and finasteride past 1 yrs. As of now my hair loss is under control and i can see small hairs growing on the vertex.

My problem is the finasteride has affected my sexual health. I am really unable to get a proper erection, my penis size has decreased and even my sperm count has reduced. Every soon is this year i will be getting married i really confused whether to continue with the drug or discontinue. If not are there any drugs by which i can reverse the effects of finasteride.

I strongly feel that the finasteride has stopped my hair loss

Guys tell me how to deal with this?:confused:

• 3 months later...

Why isn't anyone updating their progress? Several people said they were going to a urologist or trying different medications but no one is keeping us posted? This is my 3rd posting on this topic. I've now been on Rogaine for a year. The loss of erection has continued. The shrinking of my penis has continued. I wish I would have stopped using Rogaine when I first posted by in January but it was just working too well on my hair for me to stop. But I realize I have to get off it. It isn't worth losing erections and inches of my penis for. I would like to know if anyone knows of anything to regrow hair without side effects like these? Please people, post back with any info at all on your progress. Whether it be that the symptoms have continued, gotten worst or gotten better by getting off or finding a new alternative to regrow hair.

Unless you're using too much minoxidil and lowering your blood pressure too much, minoxidil will not cause any ED problems.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

• 1 month later...

Ok. So I've been using Rogaine Foam for about a year - I have significant thinning on the crown of my head, but certainly not catastrophic. Thought I'd try Rogaine after seeing all of the commercials thinking "Hey - why not? Maybe it will fix my bald spot". Well, not a whole lot of difference as far as my thinning crown goes, but experiencing severe and extremely distressing sexual side effects. I'm extremely healthy and fit, have an excellent cardiovascular system, and eat clean. At first I thought maybe I'm just "getting older" (I'm 50), but then after reading a few other sites I recognized the symptoms immediately - difficulty getting and maintaining an erection (becoming progressively worse fairly quickly), soft erections, sometimes ejaculating without becoming completely hard, shrinkage of the penis (while flaccid), and noticing my penis feels sort of cold and numb, as if it's not receiving proper blood flow. Needless to say I quit using the Rogaine last week as soon as I made the connection. I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing all of these symptoms, and what if anything there is we can do to accelerate the recovery process. It would be nice to have all my hair back, but I'd like to have my d*** back exponentially more. I can live with no hair - I can not live with no d***. Help!

I must admit it's odd to find so many people claiming minoxidil has given them sexual side effects. Although it cannot be verified or unverified, it's strange to say the least!

With finasteride it's clear to understand how, in principle, it could cause sexual side effects. It works by lowering DHT, an important hormone in males. For most men this lower DHT value causes few problems but for some they seem to have much more severe reactions to the drug. Some claim it has altered them permanently, or at least over a long period of time. Those statements have not been verified, but it is at least possible to see the logic behind how finasteride could cause these symptoms and problems.

Minoxidil, on the other hand, does not effect your endocrine system in any way to my knowledge. I'm sure it has to be excreted like pretty much any substance that enters your body, but it does not cause or try to cause any changes in any hormone. It's a potassium channel opener, and in short is a vasodilator, meaning it opens the blood vessels in the body. This aids hairloss by essentially making your hair follicles as well supplied as possible and thus being able to produce healthier hairs for longer.

Now, I am not a doctor or medically trained in any way, but with minoxidil the potential route to ED is much less clear, and the route to reduced libido even more so. I could sort of understand how minoxidil, which affects blood flow and hyperpolarizes cells, could in some way at least be theoretically linked to ED (given that penis erection is directly caused by blood flow), but reduced libido and minoxidil usage seem near enough completely unrelated (unless people claiming reduced libido actually are getting that confused with ED?).

I don't think there's any particular way to stop the ED apart from ceasing minoxidil, but the cases of minoxidil reportedly causing ED are extremely rare and the mechanism not understood (if there even is one). I would almost certainly imagine cessation of minoxidil would completely stop it from affecting your body in any way, so if you're really worried that's the best thing to do for now.

Also, I know people never like hearing this, but go see a doctor and explain it to them. ED can be caused by lots of other things and whilst nobody can doubt your personal belief that it's minoxidil-related, only a doctor has a chance of being able to verify or even affirm any association between the two events.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm here to give you guys an update. Its now been about a year and a month since quitting the Minoxidil 5% and the sexual side effects are still present. Still getting either weak or no morning erections, not waking up rock hard like I used to, random erections throughout the day haven't come back, maintaining an erection during sex is very difficult, and I still get that cold, tight feeling in my testicles/scrotum during the day.

I should note that 5 months ago I found out I had a varicocele in my testicle and thought may have been contributing to my sexual issues. I had an operation to fix the varicocele but it didn't fix my sexual problems. Looking back I do believe that somehow the Minoxidil somehow was responsible for the development of my varicocele as I know that Minox opens up blood vessels which in turn creates our problems. I've also read that Minox can mess with the thyroid and prolactin thus leading to impotence.

This past year has been a nightmare. I'm now beginning to believe that these side effects are going to be either permanent or very long term. I'm just trying to accept this, which is the most difficult thing to do. I'm only 28 years old. Life will certainly never be the same again. I'm thankful that I have a girlfriend who is very understanding.