Rogaine/minoxidil sexual side effects?????

Norcal

Im 22 years old and I started taking 5% 2x a day for 4 days. 4 days ago I was perfectly fine sexually, but now after starting the treatment I finding that I have lost my libido and when I finally get an erection, it goes away quickly. I have completely stopped taking the treatment now due to the side effects and am waiting to regain my old self. Can anyone tell me how long this should take to be back to normal?? I need my sex life back.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May be worth it for alot of people, but not for me. I don't think I'll touch the stuff again after experiencing the side effects even though it worked in regroeing my hair. Did you experience any sexual side effect yourself?? How long ??

Gives me hope after reading all these horror stories. Thanks for your input blkbl. Looking forward to being normal again! I guess it just takes time. Did you experience loss of sensation "down there" as one of the side effects??

You are not alone. All people have side-effects from any medication. And even healthy athletic people like me have to deal with medication for hair loss treatment, in my case finasteride .25 mg every three days and minoxidil to applications every day.

For nutritional supplement, ingest biotin, Ginseng and cod liver oil and shower my hair with biotin. I also sleep with aloe vera and olive oil on my scalp. I occasionally pour some wet dog food in my scalp as well.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I'm 28 I started using Rogaine is 2007, stopped in 2010 because I came to terms with balding and I didn’t like applying it twice a day and avoiding contact with my head while wet. I never had PE (Premature Ejaculation) before Rogaine, didn’t have PE awhile using Rogaine but after I stopped, it got PE….and it must be permanent since it’s been two years. I know side effects can include “lower sexual desire” but I never had a lower libido, erectile dysfunction any side effects I noticed while using. I’ve never been on any medication, never used drugs and Rogaine is the only thing I’ve ever used that is known for sexual side effects.

I think whatever it does to your brain that could cause “low desire” can cause delayed ejaculation, which I’d be fine with but once you stop it does the opposite and causes premature ejaculation which is hell. I went from thinking 10 minutes was a quickie to praying I can last 3 minutes. I honestly could go 20mins easy, 30mins or more with enough effort and now I average 2mins.

I’ve started using Rogaine again, I couldn’t care less about if it regrows some hair but praying that it will give me some kind of ejaculation control again.

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I'm 28 I started using Rogaine is 2007, stopped in 2010 because I came to terms with balding and I didn’t like applying it twice a day and avoiding contact with my head while wet. I never had PE (Premature Ejaculation) before Rogaine, didn’t have PE awhile using Rogaine but after I stopped, it got PE….and it must be permanent since it’s been two years. I know side effects can include “lower sexual desire” but I never had a lower libido, erectile dysfunction any side effects I noticed while using. I’ve never been on any medication, never used drugs and Rogaine is the only thing I’ve ever used that is known for sexual side effects.

I think whatever it does to your brain that could cause “low desire” can cause delayed ejaculation, which I’d be fine with but once you stop it does the opposite and causes premature ejaculation which is hell. I went from thinking 10 minutes was a quickie to praying I can last 3 minutes. I honestly could go 20mins easy, 30mins or more with enough effort and now I average 2mins.

I’ve started using Rogaine again, I couldn’t care less about if it regrows some hair but praying that it will give me some kind of ejaculation control again.

Just a update for those this might help. I started using Minoxidil again right after my last post about 2 months ago and my premature ejaculation problem is gone. I can easily last 15-20 minutes without getting close to orgasm and I only cum when I'm ready. Overall story, I was fine sexually before Minoxidil, I fine while using it, once I stopped I became a premature ejaculator, once I started again I'm back to having basically fully control over when I ejaculate. The side effects are watery semen, mild pain in left testicle at times, possibly dark circles under eyes and puffy face I'm not sure. It's all worth it to be able to be in charge of organs and grow a little hair back.

• 1 year later...

Hi, everyone just wanted to relate my story.

I started using Rogaine 3 months ago and stopped 3 days ago due to libido loss and ED and within a day I was back to normal.

When I first started having the issues I assumed it was mental. But then the behavior was weird ( losing erection after a few seconds even when I knew my mind was calm) so I did a Google search and found this forum. And when I stopped using it, immediately back to my horny self.

I dont know the science behind it ... but I guess anything that stops hair loss somehow influences your hormonal balance? I have no idea how Rogaine but based on my own experience I'm doubtful that this was mental.

Also worth mentioning that years ago I used Propecia and had similar side effects. And 2 weeks after I stopped using Propecia the side effects were gone.

Perhaps my specific biology is highly prone to these issues....

Anyway my situation is resolved as I'm not too concerned about hairloss. Just wanted to post this for everyones benefit.

hope its helpful

A new type of topically applied drug (minoxidil) to facilitate erection is presented. Minoxidil acts directly on arterial smooth muscles via relaxation. This drug (1 ml. of a 2% solution) was studied under strict laboratory conditions in a double-blind controlled trial on 33 patients (4 with neurogenic plus arterial, 10 with neurogenic and 19 with arterial impotence) and compared to placebo and nitroglycerin (2.5 gm. of a 10% ointment). The application sites were the penile shaft (nitroglycerin) or glans penis (minoxidil and placebo). Increases in diameter and rigidity were measured with the RigiScan device and arterial flow was evaluated by conventional Doppler sonography. Side effects were considered as well. This drug proved to be more active than nitroglycerin and placebo in increasing diameter, rigidity and arterial flow of the penis. The highest activity proved to occur in neurogenically impotent patients. Fewer side effects also were found with minoxidil than with nitroglycerin. For these reasons minoxidil is proposed as a long-term therapeutic agent for organic impotence.

Source: National Center for Biotechnology Information

• 2 months later...

Hi just new to the forum but by no means new to minoxidil.

Had a read through this thread and in my opinion no one on here is paranoid I have just been to the doctors and nurse wanted to have a overhaul so got a blood test to check all sorts from blood sugar testosterone colestorol all the usual just lately been of work with stress so thought this would be a good time to have all this done.

Last week phoned up for results receptionist very vague on my results but said they wanted me to go for another blood test and to make it a morning appointment but I queried this further she knew I was a bit concerned so decided before making the appointment for blood test it was best for me to speak to my doctor.

Mine and docs conversation Doc hi what is your concerns, Me hi not getting clear answers about my blood test Doc OK _everything fine with colestorol testoterone ect

but your hormone prolactin was above normal and also FSH hormone but stress can sometimes effect these hormones so I thought it would best to test your blood again Me_ oh I see doctor well I think it would be best for me to tell you that I have took regained extra in the past and currently been taking it for three months Doc_ what's in that Me_ minoxidil Doc_ oh I see this does put a different spin on things this drug would definitely account for higher FSH and I am nearly certain it would effect your prolactin levels so I think it is best to do another blood test after that we will see the results and sit down and discuss this further Me_ thanks bye.

Sorry for all the me and doc stuff but I thought it was the best way to explain it.

Now here is a link for anyone to read through.

Testosterone, Prolactin and Prolactinomas

I read it and I didn't like what I found, I don't want to lose my hair bit this stuff about minoxidil does scare me as I said I have took minoxidil on and off for a few years and I do suffer from ED I took minoxidil back when I was 24 for a few months then stopped but unlike you guys I never noticed a drop in libido I just stopped because it was far too expensive back then but since that time I have dabbled with it back and forth but not once did I make the connection between that and ED until now and yes right now I am suffering from ED and have done for longer than 7 years and like you guys I have had all the tests done and was told it was not organic it was phycological until the information I have shared with you now IE my convo with my doc.

So finally it scares me to think that I have possibly done the damage all those years ago from using minox or it has been done gradually because I have dabbled with it on and off since I was 24 I am now 43 so where do I we go even for hair loss now this is very frustrating and now I think that more side effects should be listed with this product other than the usual excess facial hair sore heads swollen ankles ect I would appreciate any ones comments thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

This thread worried me. This might be a lengthy post. It is the start of an attempt to document my sexual side effects. So read on if you want... I will try to keep it brief.

I started using Rogaine 5% to combat thinning hair on the top of my head, near the front. The thinning isn't that bad, but I wanted to be ahead of the curve, I'm only 28 and want my hair to last until my mid 30s. After using the Rogaine for about 2 weeks I started experiencing some sexual issues. I began seeing a girl at the same time I began the Rogaine.

During week 2 we tried to have sex, I could only get it to a trot, but we had drank a bunch the night before, so I wasn't worried. Latter that day I got it up myself without much of a problem. The next day something felt off. I couldn't get it up myself at all. Things were at an alarming stand still. So I reviewed any change in my habits, the introduction of Rogaine was the only thing. I began researching and found that many people complain of similar symptoms. The next day I stopped Rogaine.

As of now I am on day 4 of no Rogaine.

On day 1 of no Rogaine I began taking testosterone supplements, exercising, and trying to eat better / drink less, but there was little to no immediate change. The girl came over again, we didn't try anything, but as we were laying in bed I got like a half chub. Which was concerning, because in similar past situations it has been at full gallop. And I really want to go full gallop with this girl, the desire is there.

On day 2 I masturbated with great difficulty.

On day 3 I woke up with an erection, which lead me to believe I was in the clear. Later that night the girl came over. We were fooling around in bed, she was getting really into it, it was sexy, but when she asked me to fuck her my dick hung there like a wet noodle. It was terrible. I wasn't even drunk. This has only happened to me when I've been completely wasted. So, I had to explain to her what was going on. Then a bit later that night I was able to initiate with it just barely hard enough. It eventually died out, we had to stop.

On the morning of day 4 was able to muster up something that I thought would work, though I had to do this myself. We had sex, but I couldn't stop, I could feel it deflating every time I went slowly.

That brings us to now. I seem to be recovering, little by little, but something still feels off. I plan on taking the supplements for 16 days, and to continue exercising. I will try to provide updates.

• 1 year later...

Someone get any result? I used minoxidil for a month and i started to note the colatteral effects and a week and a half after stopped i started to have normal erections but now a week after getting better my sintoms are back, at the beginning i used to have ED and Watery Semen but now my D*** is cold and i'm very worried about that... Any recovery advice? Please!

• 3 years later...

I would guess that it's a hangover from the effects of the finasteride and your body still hasn't normalised, simply because some people take a while/never fully recover, and it is more known for causing ED than Rogaine it. But everyone is different, it could be the Rogaine.