Afraid to have a transplant

Hello to everyone, I'm 24 and norwood 3a and I'm considering to have an hair transplant as soon as I get 25. However, even if hair loss depresses me, I'm a bit hesitant on the idea: both FUT and FUE leave scars, and it means that, if needed, because the transplant go wrong or my MPB progresses even with Finasteride I will not be able to shave my head without doing other expensive procedures. Has someone gone through this?

• Administrators

Have you ever shaved your head? If no, I strongly suggest doing so before considering a hair transplant. If you can live with a head shaved, you’ve found the optimal solution. No down time, money or risk involved. Now, if you shave your head and hate it, chances are you always will, so shaving your head in the future becomes a moot point. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I don't like my head shaved, but the fact is that I fear I would have to shave my head in the future if the transplant fails, hair loss goes on etc. and in this case I'd have also scars from FUE or FUT. For this reason I'd never go with a FUT because the scar would be big, white dots are far less noticeable but still visible...

Edited by Struggle

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Struggle said:

I don't like my head shaved, but the fact is that I fear I would have to shave my head in the future if the transplant fails, hair loss goes on etc. and in this case I'd have also scars from FUE or FUT. For this reason I'd never go with a FUT because the scar would be big, white dots are far less noticeable but still visible...

Have your shaved your head before? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I know how you feel. I once shaved my head and went to a fancy dress night in a club (Theme was chavs and gangsters ) so I wore a tracksuit and put on a gold chain. The bouncers wouldn’t let me in as they thought I was a thug . 

What complexion are you? My skin is very white so scars are pretty much invisible. You could always do a hair transplant and then MSP later over he scars is needed . That’s my plan 

It is quite natural to be scared and apprehensive - the outcome is never guaranteed.  That's life.  You take a gamble and live with the result.  The FUE scars will be less noticeable in the long run and even if you go to a 5 or 6 you'll still have hair covering them there. Everyone has gone through your dilemma.  Keep doing research, accept nothing less that an approved, world class surgeon to minimize your failure quotient, and make your decision.  Don't go cheap or close. 

Edited by voxman
  • Like 1

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, voxman said:

It is quite natural to be scared and apprehensive - the outcome is never guaranteed.  That's life.  You take a gamble and live with the result.  The FUE scars will be less noticeable in the long run and even if you go to a 5 or 6 you'll still have hair covering them there. Everyone has gone through your dilemma.  Keep doing research, accept nothing less that an approved, world class surgeon to minimize your failure quotient, and make your decision.  Don't go cheap or close

Wise words by a wise man! 

View my thread

14 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Have your shaved your head before? 

Yes, I did when I started medications not to see hair shedding. People told me why I did it, however i didn't take pics of myself. I have only photos when I had a buzzcut. I have a strange head so I think I look better with hair, however the real problem is my weight, I'm skinny and with a shaved head I look like a cancer patient.

Thanks for your post, guys! 

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Struggle said:

Yes, I did when I started medications not to see hair shedding. People told me why I did it, however i didn't take pics of myself. I have only photos when I had a buzzcut. I have a strange head so I think I look better with hair, however the real problem is my weight, I'm skinny and with a shaved head I look like a cancer patient.

Thanks for your post, guys! 

Given what you’re saying, maybe you should focus on working out, and maybe that will help you with a shaved head. There’s always a risk with surgery, no way around it. There’s no risk with shaving, if you’re okay with it, that’s your solution. 

• Like 1

View my thread