FUT or FUE Which surgery should I go with???

I'm ready for the surgery ASAP. I don't know which to do FUT or FUE.  I have two friends that have had FUT and FUE . They are brothers and both say the FUT was way better.

The FUT method they both said pulls the skin in the  back together which results in a mini face lift so you get a two for one.   They also said the FUT was less painful than the FUE.  They were both happy with the results. One went to Bosleys in Houston and they both went to a surgeon in Tulsa for the second session because of the price. They were both happy with the results from each clinic.  Both have shown me the scar and it it's barely noticeable. I'm not worried about the scar. I don't wear my hair short and if it gets too short in the back my hair grows out fast.  I'm wanting at least 5000 grafts and more if if that's possible.  I've heard that 5000 is the max most Doctors will do at one time. I don't want to go through this and find out that we didn't do enough.

My concern with the FUE is I'm trading hair thinness.   I'm worried the donor area will get too thin with FUE.   I think I'm a norwood 5 and I want as many grafts as possible at one time. I don't want to pussy foot around with 1500 here and there.  If it takes a year for the the grafts to grow I don't see the point in getting 1500 now , 1500 a year from now, 1500  two years from now.  It makes more sense to get it all done ASAP and in a year be way ahead.  I've been using Fineseride for years and I just started with Minoxidil. I read with Minoxidil shedding will occur at first , which I've noticed. I've been using Minoxidil for about 6 weeks.  These pics were before I started the Minoxidil.

I'm including some pictures of what my hair looks like now. I knew I was losing but didn't realize how bad it looked till I saw the last pic of the top of my head.  That's when I freaked out! I asked my wife if it looked that bad in real life hoping that it might be the lighting or camera. She confirmed the picture is what I really look like.    OK. So can you all give me some guidance on what I should do. This is the first time for me. 

IMG_0163.JPG.7194b62edfadfa9c45b7dfe79dd409af.JPGIMG_0164.JPG.7ac37f870eb014e3cd656057e8d375db.JPGIMG_0165.JPG.a24ccaac9a753b902c7ffa5db0b3ea9a.JPGIMG_0167.JPG.b73c139295b8711cd2234040c8085bb4.JPGIMG_0168.JPG.b28fcbbbd8e6d4fcdc70a3610669d618.JPG

Since you wear your hair longish, FUT is the answer.

5000 grafts may be possible but I had two (2) FUT at 2500 each - but it will depend on your surgeon and his recommendations. 

Stay away form Bosley though.  Or any Hair Mill.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

You've hit on a number of key points, let's address them.

Numbers will depend on what your donor can support. Just tell the doctor you would like to do the max he can harvest. 

I would encourage you to concentrate on the front and top.  Leave the back alone until you are happy with the front. It is normal and natural to be a bit thinner in the back due to the whirl we all share.  Besides, you've been on medical therapy which is, perhaps, the best thing you ever did.  I doubt if you would have as much native hair as you do had you not been on the meds.

Cost is always an issue but I would not make it the determining factor.  I would rather you spend time reviewing photos of results.  Once you find results of cases similar to your own, I would consider that clinic.  Then start the process of researching the doctor, etc.

If you've always worn your hair the way pictured, I would exhaust FUT first.  This will allow you to maximize the donor you have.  Eventually, if needed, you'll have FUT available to you.

14 minutes ago, voxman said:

Stay away form Bosley though.  Or any Hair Mill.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely steer clear of Bosley et al.  Just curious.. Did you notice a mini face lift effect from your FUT procedures?

10 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

Numbers will depend on what your donor can support. Just tell the doctor you would like to do the max he can harvest.

The one doctor I have seen said my donor area was very good, but he only does FUE.

25 minutes ago, Bill Smith said:

Thanks for the info. I will definitely steer clear of Bosley et al.  Just curious.. Did you notice a mini face lift effect from your FUT procedures?

Not at all - I wish, tho...

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

29 minutes ago, Bill Smith said:

Did you notice a mini face lift effect from your FUT procedures?

I didn't, but I guess it would depend on some factors like how big of a strip they cut out, how much scalp laxity you have, how tight your connected facial skin currently is.

Be careful about mentioning that to the doctor, he might try to charge you for the mini lift too ;):D

9 hours ago, Bill Smith said:

Just curious.. Did you notice a mini face lift effect from your FUT procedures?

Haha, nope!  Even with my 3rd strip procedure there wasn't an inadvertent face lift.  The strip is too far away from the face to make any noticeable difference.  Definitely go FUT with your hair being long and please, please, please don't go to a crappy surgeon.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group