How many grafts would i need?

So i am soon turning 25 and was thinking of getting a hair transplant to cover mainly my crown. I am a diffuse thinner so my hairline is fine but the density on top is lower than on the sides of my head, it is still not that bad with the exception of the crown. I have been on finasteride/minoxidil for 2 years and while i have gotten some regrowth and i am maintaining, it doesn't look like i can get anything else out of them. I have attached a couple of pictures taken on the same day with different lightnings.

How many grafts would i need for decent crown coverage? I was thinking around 2000, with anything extra being used for density where needed.

Any responses are appreciated.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Honestly, the risk with a transplant for you outweighs the reward at this time.  Especially being a diffuse thinner, you'll risk shocking the hair you currently have, potentially leaving  you with less coverage than before the HT.  Stay on fin and wait it out.  

• Like 3

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I got quoted 1500-2000 grafts through an online consultation to fill my crown and restore some density throughout. I think using dry pictures above did not fully demonstrate the extent of my hair loss, so here are some pictures of my hair wet, one with a part and one without.

Do the opinions given above still apply?

top wet1.jpg

top wet2.jpg

Yea wait, 25 is still very young. You should look into DermMatch and Toppik, great for when you are in a 'wait and see' middle period, they are topical concealers that work and are easy to apply especially when you still have a good amount of hair like you.

Toppik is the easier and quicker of the two to apply, and that may be all you want to do. There's a forum topic created and pinned by the forum moderator on DermMatch over in the "Shampoos, sprays, and concealers" -I would post the direct thread link but the moderator posted a later comment about some other questionable product and referenced a goofy commercial it made him think about -that preview pic of that goofy commercial comes up and I don't want guys to see that and think its not worth looking at.

Go to this link and its the first thread named "Pros and Cons to DermMatch"

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/forum/28-shampoos-sprays-and-concealers/

• Like 1

The wet pics don't change my opinion that a HT right now would be a mistake.  Don't assume that the native hairs you still have in the crown won't be permanently shocked out of existence due to the trauma of a HT.  Wait!

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Forget about a hair transplant, get some hair fibers or dermmatch and you’re set.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.