Hair loss and thinning, intestinal infection and Crash diet and weight loss (18 years old)

Hello everyone!

My name is Kim or you can call me Kit, I am new to this forum and i am 18 years old.

Recently i have lost about 40lbs of weight muscle and fat. I realise that crash diets are not good but i was just over weight and i got laughed at icon_frown.gif. Anyway I followed a crash diet for about 3-4 months and have lost 40lbs. But a few months after my diet i noticed hair has started to fall off easier, and the hair on my legs snap really easily. I have also noticed that the hair on my head is brittle and breaks off easily. And hair falls off easily at the back of my head near the neck and my hair just looks different. I went to the doctor and i am still waiting for the blood test result to come back.

its like before i get a short haircut i dont see the scalp on my head through the hair that easily but now i see it easily. I was wondering if theres anyhting i can do to help with the hair loss and make it grow back again.

During the crash diet i severely limited my caloric intake and didnt take much or if any protein. But i dont know if its got to do with the crash diet but it happened like 2-3 months after it. Also after i had 2 intestinal infections i found that my hair got thinner too, i dont know if it has to do with the crash diet or the infection.

I am very worried about my hair..i cant sleep all the time cause i get worried. icon_frown.gif Please help

Any help would be appreciated

Kim

Drastic changes in eating patterns by restricting your intake can cause you to suffer temporary hair loss. I had this happen 3 times to my recollection. Once, after being severly sick and hospitalized for a month,I notice around a month later that hair was coming out from all over my head (permanent area also where men aren't suppose to lose hair) and chest as well. in 3 months, I could see my scalp in my vertex, mid-scalp and frontal and prior to this, I considered I had a decent head of hair. The good news is a month later, it all filled back in.

Again, when I went on a low-carb diet, but confined just behind my hairline.

The third time was not that severe and just around the hairline, and though it was noticeable to me, it would of just looked like I lost some body in my hair. That to, resolved itself when I began eating regularly.

I do stress that everyone is different, so check with a doctor to rule out other possible causes.

Thanks Leeson for the reply.

I have got it checked already i am still waiting for the results for the hormone levels and stuff my thyroid stuff. I hope it is ok... and i hope its just because of the crash diet and not other things that have caused this. Because its affecting the hair on my legs too.

I have just begun to take multi vitimins, hair and nail supplement and of course most importantly fixing up my diet with protein every meal and carbs and fats, eating more fruits too. I hope this would help.

I will get the results on Wednesday.

By the way does Male pattern baldness affect chest hair or hair on the legs too?

Thanks

Kim

tntkim-

What you are describing is classic for symptoms of telogen effluvium- which refers to the temporary shedding of hair related to some type of "stressor"- in your case, calorie restriction or "crash diet". The natural hair cycle as it relates to this, and as observed when we transplant hair follicles, is that, after the "stressor", the follicles go into a resting phase that lasts three months. Also, this "three month window" is also a pertinent time line one sees for the onset of the shedding period as well. Hence, what we do (or is done) to our system to "stress" it begins to show up in three months. Conversely, when we "correct" or remove the stressor (in your case resume normal eating patterns, sleep, etc..) it will take another three months to begin to see the results of that change; and, as hair grows slowly (about cm/month) it takes additional months to really appreciate a change for the better.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Thanks a lot Dr. Timothy icon_smile.gif

I am just worried because right after my crash diet i did not see much shedding of hair until recently. So i thought it might be something else that's causing it. However i am going to see my blood tests tomorrow and discuss with my doctor to see what i can do to make things better.

Because I have recently had intestinal infection for 2 times and that made me not able to eat much. I lost a lot of weight from diarrhea and vomiting, i think that might have done some damage to my health and hair too.

Thank you very much for the reply icon_smile.gif

tntkim

Hey Guys! icon_smile.gif

The blood test come out today...everything turned out to be normal! the doctor told me to give myself a few more months so that i can let my hair regrow and eat better, a diet consists of more protein carbs and fat from different sources of food.

My zinc levels and iron are normal too. The doctor said it probably is just cause of the crash diet i have been on for so long.

Thanks guys

Kim

Glad everyting is normal kim.

Dr. Carman

I am wondering can this be perminat hair loss and thinning around the crown area , due to not dieting correctly. I used hydroxycut everyday, 2 in the moring and 2 before gym. Sometime I would not eat anything before the gym. I took this dietry supplement for 3 years and while I was taking it, I notice hair loss. I didn't think much of it cause I always had thick hair and that its normal to loose some hairs.

Sometimes running my fingers through my hair and I would catch about 10-15 hair a day. Then it got worse as time goes by and til this day I am wondering, Can it be a permenant hairloss cause I was told I don't have no hairloss in the family. I am number 17 in the family and have 5 nephew thats older then me have thick hair. My brothers are 37-55, thick hair and my father is 80, thick hair. So I am left here scratching my head. PK

Originally posted by Dr. Timothy Carman:

tntkim-

What you are describing is classic for symptoms of telogen effluvium- which refers to the temporary shedding of hair related to some type of "stressor"- in your case, calorie restriction or "crash diet". The natural hair cycle as it relates to this, and as observed when we transplant hair follicles, is that, after the "stressor", the follicles go into a resting phase that lasts three months. Also, this "three month window" is also a pertinent time line one sees for the onset of the shedding period as well. Hence, what we do (or is done) to our system to "stress" it begins to show up in three months. Conversely, when we "correct" or remove the stressor (in your case resume normal eating patterns, sleep, etc..) it will take another three months to begin to see the results of that change; and, as hair grows slowly (about cm/month) it takes additional months to really appreciate a change for the better.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,

tim

my wife went on a crash weight loss diet that affected her hair. she took fish oil & silica & her hair returned to normal. seeing her results i started taking them both last year. i have to admit my hair looks a little better. the omega 3 are good for many other things including heart, skin & joints.

rtc

• 2 weeks later...

I am male 21. Recently, I went on a crash diet. I went on a crash diet on Decemeber I started to lose alot of hair in Jan went to doctor on Jan 26 and found out I have folic acid low. Now its march 2nd I am still losing hair. What is the process how long will this last it says 3 months. Even though the hair loss slowed down a little. Still I lost alot of hair in just 2 months from Jan - feb. So the shedding is 3 months or shedding is 3 months after the cause is fixed? Also it takes another 3 months for hair to regrow or just a month after the shedding stops?

Hey Johnadam,

I am having the same problem. I got all my blood tests done the hormone levels are fine but my vitamin B12 are not high enough. I think the crash diet has messed up my hair. I am still losing a little. The doctor said give myself 6-12 months for my hair to regrow and in the meantime eat more meats and fish. Eat properly get enough sleep and dont stress too much. Eating more protein from meats and vegetables. In my crash diet i have severly limited my carb and protein intake and just didnt take enough vitamins and running A LOT like everyday. At first it wasnt anything but i just felt my body get weaker and weaker everyday. SO now i know to never crash diet ever! I think i need to give myself more time for the hair to regrow. Cause the hair loss didnt come right after...more like a few months after the crash diet and plus i lost a few pounds after 2 times of stomach and intestinal infection.

Interesting thread and good post by Dr. Carman.

I periodically see patients who come in just after some big stressor (traumatic divorce is a common one, and first year lawyers are another) who have a classic sudden hair shedding of T.E. Getting rid of the stressor and time are indicated rather than expensive lotions and potions that one of my "down the street" competitors pushes. The lost hair usually returns, and you get a referring patient who realizes you are there for the long-term relationship, not a quick sale of $200.00 of products.

Now, alot of folks with male pattern baldness also have stress. Who doesn't? IF you are dealing with the economy, a spouse, kids..even dogs, you have some stress. I occasionally see a class 6 who thinks its all stress, even though he has a family history and is clearly MPB. Reducing the stress in those folks will help them live longer, but won't bring back MPB hair.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 6 months later...
Originally posted by tntkim:

Hey Johnadam,

I am having the same problem. I got all my blood tests done the hormone levels are fine but my vitamin B12 are not high enough. I think the crash diet has messed up my hair. I am still losing a little. The doctor said give myself 6-12 months for my hair to regrow and in the meantime eat more meats and fish. Eat properly get enough sleep and dont stress too much. Eating more protein from meats and vegetables. In my crash diet i have severly limited my carb and protein intake and just didnt take enough vitamins and running A LOT like everyday. At first it wasnt anything but i just felt my body get weaker and weaker everyday. SO now i know to never crash diet ever! I think i need to give myself more time for the hair to regrow. Cause the hair loss didnt come right after...more like a few months after the crash diet and plus i lost a few pounds after 2 times of stomach and intestinal infection.

Hello Kim

Havent been on this site for months. Anyways, I am still losing hair hopefully it stops and hair regrow. What is your sistuation right now?

Originally posted by Leeson:

Drastic changes in eating patterns by restricting your intake can cause you to suffer temporary hair loss. I had this happen 3 times to my recollection. Once, after being severly sick and hospitalized for a month,I notice around a month later that hair was coming out from all over my head (permanent area also where men aren't suppose to lose hair) and chest as well. in 3 months, I could see my scalp in my vertex, mid-scalp and frontal and prior to this, I considered I had a decent head of hair. The good news is a month later, it all filled back in.

Again, when I went on a low-carb diet, but confined just behind my hairline.

The third time was not that severe and just around the hairline, and though it was noticeable to me, it would of just looked like I lost some body in my hair. That to, resolved itself when I began eating regularly.

I do stress that everyone is different, so check with a doctor to rule out other possible causes.

You had it three time and all three times it went away after 3 months. Howcome, mine is still going its been almost 8 months still on losing hair. I am not too concered about hair loss but still it would be good to have hair. Now I know I took them for granted LOL! Hopefully I recover Still got my hopes icon_smile.gif