Ready to begin my epic journey (now with PICS)

Hello everyone. I don't even know where to start.

I'm 23 years old. Been losing since about 17ish I think, but didn't realize it was MPB until 18.

I have blonde hair and it has gotten bad. Strong receding hairline, thinning in front. My crown and top are thinning as well but I've seemed to keep those stable over the years with treatment.

When I was 19 I jumped on propecia for about 1 1/2 years. It thickened up and worked well. I quit for financial reasons at the time.

That summer I jumped on Minox and have been on it since. I restarted fin back in May, and it hasn't done anything for me.

My front area is awful. I just have wispy blonde hairs coming up and no hairline.

It has completely destroyed me. I was always known for my hair. Blonde, thick hair, crazy styles. I can't leave the house without toppik piled on my head. My social life is slowly getting more and more destructed as time goes on. I have every reason to be happy. I just graduated school last year. Working a good job at a large agency. Living at a nice place with a friend. Lots of family, friends. But I can't enjoy it anymore. I'm miserable. I feel old. Can't look in the mirror. It seems all of my friends are youthful nw1s and I'm just looking to be about 40. I can't deal with this emotional pain anymore.

So I set a goal for myself. By Holidays next year I want to be closer to being happy with my hair/appearance. My face needs to be framed in order for me to look good.

That brings me to being ready for a hair transplant. You guys are amazing and the support on this site is awesome. I've been reading this and other forums for years.

I will be posting photos shortly and am looking forward to all your support. So far I'm thinking along the lines of Feller, H&W, Rahal or some doc like that. I know many will say 23 is too young (actually kinda close to 24), but I need this done. I'm constantly in a state of "waiting" for my hair to get better, but it isn't.

I have many, many questions so I guess I can start with a few in my intro.

How do you guys finance it? I have quite a bit in savings but wouldn't say I can just dish out 10,000 right away for one. I could definitely pay it off though.

I;m thinking the most I could get off from work is a week. Will that be enough? I can't wear hats at work, so that will be a challenge.

My hairloss reminds me a lot of Eman and that 22 year old guy who had 2 hair transplants. Id say we all have very similar patterns and color.

Sorry for blabbing so much and thank you so much to anyone who reads this whole thing. I'm ready to begin

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

Nizoral 1% 2-3 times a week

Fish Oil capsules w/ Omega-3

Hello everyone. I don't even know where to start.

I'm 23 years old. Been losing since about 17ish I think, but didn't realize it was MPB until 18.

I have blonde hair and it has gotten bad. Strong receding hairline, thinning in front. My crown and top are thinning as well but I've seemed to keep those stable over the years with treatment.

When I was 19 I jumped on propecia for about 1 1/2 years. It thickened up and worked well. I quit for financial reasons at the time.

That summer I jumped on Minox and have been on it since. I restarted fin back in May, and it hasn't done anything for me.

My front area is awful. I just have wispy blonde hairs coming up and no hairline.

It has completely destroyed me. I was always known for my hair. Blonde, thick hair, crazy styles. I can't leave the house without toppik piled on my head. My social life is slowly getting more and more destructed as time goes on. I have every reason to be happy. I just graduated school last year. Working a good job at a large agency. Living at a nice place with a friend. Lots of family, friends. But I can't enjoy it anymore. I'm miserable. I feel old. Can't look in the mirror. It seems all of my friends are youthful nw1s and I'm just looking to be about 40. I can't deal with this emotional pain anymore.

So I set a goal for myself. By Holidays next year I want to be closer to being happy with my hair/appearance. My face needs to be framed in order for me to look good.

That brings me to being ready for a hair transplant. You guys are amazing and the support on this site is awesome. I've been reading this and other forums for years.

I will be posting photos shortly and am looking forward to all your support. So far I'm thinking along the lines of Feller, H&W, Rahal or some doc like that. I know many will say 23 is too young (actually kinda close to 24), but I need this done. I'm constantly in a state of "waiting" for my hair to get better, but it isn't.

I have many, many questions so I guess I can start with a few in my intro.

How do you guys finance it? I have quite a bit in savings but wouldn't say I can just dish out 10,000 right away for one. I could definitely pay it off though.

I;m thinking the most I could get off from work is a week. Will that be enough? I can't wear hats at work, so that will be a challenge.

My hairloss reminds me a lot of Eman and that 22 year old guy who had 2 hair transplants. Id say we all have very similar patterns and color.

Sorry for blabbing so much and thank you so much to anyone who reads this whole thing. I'm ready to begin

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

Hey Space-

You have a great list of docs to begin with...that is a great start!!

Twenty-three is young first of all, and if you have similar hairloss to myself I definitely feel your pain. When you post some pics for us to review you will get a lot of honest opinions from members here.

Finance question: There are ways to finance a HT and interest rates are very low right now, but you need to qualify for the loan. I paid for it out-of-pocket and I know that many cannot, but I still feel that is the best way to pay for a HT. You need to remember that as with any loan, the actual cost of the procedure will be a lot higher with the added interest and fees that apply to the loan--so keep that in mind. You may want to spend the next year saving up so you can pay for it and during that time you can see if your hairloss stabilizes a bit during that saving period.

If you are a high NW, like myself (NW4+), a larger session will be needed and one week off will definitely not be enough to conceal the HT.

Keep asking questions as you are moving in the right direction.

Eman

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Space Between,

I feel your pain bro. You have just described my feelings perfectly. I could'nt have written it better myself. But, as you already know, you have came to the right place.

Eman is absolutely right in what he says regarding sending photos, you will get an honest opinion. Inspite of your age, which is a factor, if you are hitting the late numbers on the Norward scale, for sure you could be considering the right thing. Im in a similar situation as you right now I suppose and am planning my HT for late 09. 9-12 mths away. Have been saving for a while now and will continue to do so for the remaining months. Take me HT and travel, so I can recover stress free, away from any working environment.

Good luck my friend.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I took a loan from capital one (they have a cosmetic surgery line). it was at 0 percent interest for 18 months and i just made sure it was paid off in full before the offer expired.

regarding hiding it, that's gonna be very difficult, especially if you are transplanting a hairline without a hat or native hair to cover it. i'd suggest you come clean with people at work. if your hairloss is as progressive as you say it is then people will understand you wanting to fix it. just expect some ribbing and then get over it.

regarding your age, imo, age is irrelevant if your hairloss is progressive.

your top doc pics are all excellent and were the very top of my list too.

best of luck!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Thanks for all of the replies you guys. You are awesome.

I am going to keep this updated regularly and should have pics by tomorrow as I do not have time tonight.

I have quite a bit of money saved up so I am not too worried about that as of yet. May apply for a loan but haven't figured that far into it yet.

I just dont know what else to do as I cannot take anymore of the mental strain that my hair loss has caused me. It is a handicap and is holding me back from living my life.

Eman- I would say my hair loss isn't as advanced as yours yet was but will be there shortly. My hairline has receded probably as far as it is going to and the front tuft are just a few thin wispy hairs that are getting harder and harder to conceal with toppik. and as I have said I seem to have maintained the crown and top fairly well. They are still thinning but don't look much worse over the years.

I guess my main concern now is recovery/concealing so I can get back to work. Sometimes I wish I would have done this before I started my career. haha

Thanks again guys and any other comments would be greatly appreciated. I will probably have about 1,000 more questions

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

Hey Charlie,

I use concealers everyday. I can't leave the house without them.

And those pics even make my hair look a bit better than it is. Even with concealers my front is shot.

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

Hey man

you are not alone. i too am a young fella, 22 to be exact and am 11 days post-op of my 2.nd procedure.

Your loss looks a bit like mine - diffuse but centred around the front with recessed temples and sideburns.

now that i re-read your post, you probably referred to me.

A week might be enough to get over the initial swelling(if there is one) and if you grow your hair long in the back, the sutures shouldnt be visible either.

so whats your next move?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

MikeTheDane- I was referring to you. WHen my hair is buzzed down and has no concealer it looks similar to your pre-ops. haha I'm so jealous that you already went through with it!

Does anyone have any feedback/suggestions after looking at my pics. I'm pretty much at the point where this is definite and want to get it all figured out by New Years (this is my goal).

I want to bring my hairline slightly forward and fill in the sides which have receded. I also want to thicken up the front.

How many grafts do you guys think I'll need? I'm almost positive I Will be able to pay for this out of pocket which will be amazing.

Still can't decide on the doctor. So many impressive results and stories.

Here are some celebrities who have close to what I'm aiming for, so you can get an idea...

Ryan Gosling: http://images.askmen.com/galle...osling-picture-2.jpg

Cam Gigandet: http://cache.gettyimages.com/x...6E6A5A5397277B4DC33E

Hayden Christensen: http://www.desiringhayden.net/...umpernycpress_06.jpg

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

Any comments, guys?

A few things to add: I know that I will eventually need another transplant for further back and crown, but I need the front/hairline fixed now. I am confident I can keep behind that pretty good for years to come.

I need a good hairline to shape my face. My face just does not look right without being framed.

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

If youre young and unmarried, i would strongly advise you to NOT tell people at work.

Rather, take a leave of absence, or better yet, announce you're taking another job or starting a company and do the HT.

We're only talking about six months time here from HT to results.

You can work another maintenance job for that time where you dont know anyone and then re enter the corporate world.

DO NOT tell people. They will only gossip. Something like what you're talking about would set the workplace abuzz with gossip at your expense.

If you need to do something creative, schedule a "seminar" out of town for a month or take a class in another town at a univerisity.

Any excuse to drop out for a short time while youre changing your appearance.

Think it through.

hardcore long-term veteran of hack plug doctors to ultra refined coalition doctors.

knowledgeable about show business hair transplants

celeb hair vet - I can't just quit my job or leave for an extended period of time. I don't plan on telling anyone I had a hair transplant, but I can at least try hard to disguise it.

Don't you think quitting or leaving my job is a little extreme? Anyone else comment on this going back to work issue?

I plan on a HT around March and will see how much time I can get off work.

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

From your pics I think you have enough hair that you can conceal it. It's going to be challenging, that's for sure but I think you could pull it off. That is if you don't shave for the surgery. That might be something to consider when choosing a doctor. Also, I agree with Club Hair Vet, don't tell ANYBODY! It's all vanity but still, telling people could start troubles that you do not need.

My suggestions -

Decide if you're going to shave before surgery. That will obviously affect your strategy quite a bit.

assuming you don't shave...

Try to work plan this so that you can have about a week to two weeks of vacation. I don't know your situation but I think it's reasonable that the average worker can prepare for some or all of the time off consecutively. You hate to burn all of your vacation time all at once, but seeing how important this is to you, just do it. If you need to work an extra few months before you can take that amount of time off, do it..

From my experience, two weeks gives the recipient site time enough to heal that you could easily conceal it. The donor area however needs about 10 days before you can remove the sutures or staples. A couple of days after the sutures or staples removal you should be able to conceal that as well. With your hair type and skin color it may be a difficult task but it's certainly possible.

Funny, I'm giving advice but I realize that my advice is "all things being equal".. but I think you can make this happen if it's that important to you.

Also, be prepared to be an introvert for a few weeks to a couple of months. Not saying it's necessary, but you might find yourself spending more time alone than normal until things heal. Not a big deal. I'm two weeks post op and I can now style my hair and go out, etc, but I'm choosing to spend this time doing some productive things that don't require other people so much. Once again, this is my choice, but I figured it into my strategy.

If you shave, which some docs like you to do (some say it makes a difference, some say it doesn't), you still may be ok with the recipient area after a couple of weeks (but there is a good chance that the recipient area may not be ready for prime time in two week - go look at everyone's blogs - if it isn't I don't think you will be able to conceal it like you will want to, although I might be wrong)... your donor area will most definitely not be ready in two weeks if shaved. But if you shave only the recipient area your donor will be ok, but then your hair cut is not styled for the professional world. Can you go to work with a half shaved head like EMAN has? (No offense EHAN, that was your strategy and you were obviously in a position to do that.)

You have some serious decisions to consider, but if you make a plan and prepare properly I think you could pull this off.

Space between

I am in a similar situation as yourself. Its brutal and I understand why you want the HT to frame in your face.

I am having my first HT with Rahal in January. 3500 gratfs all in the hair line and to thicken the middle and bring back the side burns.

Im planning on taking of 2- 3 weeks off and when I return to work ( real estate) I plan on wearing a hat and I might just be able to pull it off as I live in Ottawa, Canada and January to March are winter months. I plan on having a variety of hats to wear.

I dont plan on telling anyone except my best friend and some family. It is hard to deal with but I think in the long run it will be easier to live with. So I wear a hat every day for a few months big deal!

Have you picked your doctor yet? Do you know how many grafts?

Good luck

Buba

jan 12 09 rahal 3500 gratfs

Canadian_buba

3500 Grafts

Dr. Rahal

Jan 12 09

My Hair Loss WebLog

Dont worry about being 24. The only reason people talk about being too young for a HT is because most guys then dont really know where they're headed on the norwood, etc and because of the maturity level of the candidate. You seem square on those counts.

You know you've got MPB and you've done your homework. From what i've seen, picking Feller, Rahal, Hasson, or Cooley is the way to go. If one of those is close, do a consult right away.

You mentioned a good job, and i want to give you some strong advice. Do NOT tell anyone you're doing the transplant. This could easily adversely affect your career.

People love to talk and they will talk. So when you do the transplant, you need to prepare ahead of time to take a few weeks off minimum which you may need to strategize out.

Also, keep in mind that since youre blonde youre in good shape for scalp blending but its essential that you envision what kind of hair style youre going to want in say, 10, 20 years. The height of the hairline is going to be important.

hardcore long-term veteran of hack plug doctors to ultra refined coalition doctors.

knowledgeable about show business hair transplants

Thank you guys for the advice. I will absolutely tell no one at work. My main concern is getting enough time off. I know i can get at least a week.

My head is spinning at the thought of this finally being a reality!

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

My main concern is getting enough time off. I know i can get at least a week.

how big is your procedure?? at 1 week you might still look funky a little bit... scabs will most likely be present at this time.. and your grafts are not generally considered 'set in place' til ATLEAST day 8. so you wanna be as careful as possible with the grafts durin this time.... i hate to say it but for a few weeks after a HT you will most likely look like something has been done to your head, even if they dont know what it is.

have you chosen a DR yet?

are you aware of the often 'worse off' stage that takes place for many during the first 3 months?

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

lost my swagger- Thanks for the input. I wish I could get more time off. Im aiming for two weeks but its hard to do. As I go on in my career it'll be harder and harder to get time off.

I hope to get 2 weeks. I think I can at least conceal it quite a bit, maybe? Any tips from guys who have had to go back to work soon after HT?

and i know the first 3 months aren't fun, but who can realistically go around without a hat for that long? I'm only 23 and couldn't pull it off. I wish I was still working my old job and going to school icon_frown.gif

as far as my procedure size, I have no idea yet. I was hoping someone could give me an idea. I will find out for sure when I start consulting more with docs

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

Like I said in my post I think you'll be able to conceal it after two weeks. The only thing going against you is your blonde hair (blonde hair vs light skin vs red scar), but if your good with Toppik or Dermatch like I think you say you are, you should be able to pull it off (mainly the donor area will be the problem to conceal not the recipient). If you look at my pics I'm almost 2 weeks out and I could conceal if I wanted to. Actually I think EMAN commented on that.

Procedure size... This is up to you, but I think these are some questions you need to ask and have answered by yourself, and various doctors.

1) What is you goal? You want the fullest head of hair possible or just some of your hair line and/or density back?

2) Can you afford and do you want to do all of the procedure in one session?

3) What is realistic?

Perhaps you could start by using the NW type x 1000 FUs formula that is talked about here on this website. I believe that formula is for getting a lot of density.

Hrmmmm...it's always important, but ever-more when you are young, to go to a top doc...I would guesstimate ~3k grafts for you, give or take 500 depending on a more specific analysis with the doc and your goals.

As for concealing it....your best bet will be a combination of Couvre concealer, buzzing you head well, and being assiduous in your post-op cleansing. I'd also recommend being in at least reasonable shape beforehand. The biggest thing, IMO, is cultivating a viable "out" -- some type of benign, non-contagious, but extremely annoying dermatological battle should buy you the extra-weeks you need and quell various suspicions. Plant the seeds early and often, IMO.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Spacebetween:

Every situation is different, but i was ok to go back to work by day 3 after HT, and nobody noticed. I was not required to shave and was fortunated to have minimal tiny scabs. IMO, i think you can pull this off if you take one week off + the Friday before. Try to schedule your HT on a Friday so you will have 9 days of healing before going back to work.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley