What are some of the best alternative theories to MPB as well as best routines/methods to combat it?

spabsa

I've suffered from side effects using finasteride and think the current DHT theory is not giving the full picture
of how pattern baldness occurs. I'm interested in knowing any personal research you've done and what methods you've uncovered 
that show any results. What are the most popular alternative theories to this problem? What are some theories/methods that
are a waste of time? 

If you research this topic like I have for over a decade you’ll come to realize that true androgenetic alopecia really stands up to its name. Let’s break it down....

”Andro”: androgens aka hormones

”genetic”: genetics aka your dna 

so, it’s a reaction that begins with your androgens starting a cascade of events based on your hairs susceptibility (determined by your genes) to hormone levels. You can’t change your genes as of 2020 but you can alter your hormones thru drugs such as fin/dut.

now, there are some things that happen downstream after dht starts the balding process that has been identified (inflammatory immune responses, prostaglandins, etc) but there aren’t really any proven drugs or products out to address this. Minoxidil might work on some of these levels but it’s still not proven by what EXACT mechanism(s) I works. 

if you’re truly suffering from male pattern baldness and nothing else, imo, the most effective, proven, and affordable products are finasteride, minoxidil, and ketoconazole shampoo. If you are having side effects with finasteride you can try to play with lower doses or look into topical formulations to try and mitigate side effects even though it is venturing into some unknown territory. 

imo everything else out there including massage, blood flow, supplements, vitamins, shampoos, etc won’t do much of anything if you have male pattern baldness. 

• Administrators

It’s DHT, all other theories are pure nonsense. There was a guy here who put a pump on his head, not to be mean but it looked ridiculous. Their idea was that the blood supply was somehow being cut off, and thus led to baldness. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, Mark Wolfer said:

DHT and gene theory doesn't explain why the male pattern develops the way it does over time. However, scalp laxity and tension offers clues.

Bro science clues. If that bogus theory was true, we’d regrow hair hanging upside down. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I read Andre Agassi’s book Melvin .. n he said he hanged upside down everynight for many years to hope that blood supply flows to his head to prevent him from balding .. unfortunately he Went pretty bald around 25 ,, it affected him that much losing his hair .. that he would do this ,. Remember when he had awesome long hair , I totally feel why losing his hair would have such a big impact on him ,; even with all that money fame .. it hurted him emotionally losing his hair ., 

1 hour ago, Mark Wolfer said:

DHT and gene theory doesn't explain why the male pattern develops the way it does over time. However, scalp laxity and tension offers clues.

That’s retard theory imo. Why do transplanted hairs grow in areas where there is slick bald hair loss if scalp laxity and tension are such big factors?

• Administrators

Bro, 

That theory is complete nonsense, it’s as laughable as the earth is flat theory.

View my thread

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, Mark Wolfer said:

Yeah I know you think that. So why are you micro-needling?

Micro-needling creates tiny wounds that trigger growth factors, and micro-needling helps with minoxidil absorption.

View my thread

• 2 weeks later...

Mark you are right to speculate and ask these questions. Don't be dismissed by Melvin who can't even answer you back without belittling you.  Keep researching I'm sure we can gather more pieces to this puzzle. It's definitely better than doing nothing.

On 3/15/2020 at 10:43 AM, Mark Wolfer said:

Yeah I know you think that. So why are you micro-needling?

Mark. You’ve done some good research. Inflammation and scalp calcification are semi recent findings as well as the whole prostaglandin approach. But you have to remember all these topics follow a cascade that DHT triggers. That’s why it’s important to start there. Secondly we have effective, affordable, and easily accessible drugs to lower DHT. They’ve been shown effective to slow and/or stop hair loss progression in the majority of men who take them. There aren’t meant treatment approaches for addressing these other factors just yet. I believe these are some of the main reasons why DHT is the focus.