Aftercare tablets needed?

Hi, 

Do I really need to take tablets such biotin, saw palmetto etc after my hair transplant? 

What benefits will these bring as I found the prices for them pretty extortionate at the clinic?

What did you guys take, what has benefits or are they hype jobs? 

Thanks 

They arent detrimental to your result, the only things that you could really benefit from are finasteride, minoxidil, dermarolling and to some people ketoconazole. Everything else is just unnecessary especially if you are already able to benefit from some of the things listed above. So biotin tablets wont really help you to regrow new hair well, no.

The evidence for their efficacy is scarce but my opinion is, they can't hurt so in the very worst scenario there will be no net gain so it is a very low risk, low cost way of maybe getting the maximum out of the transplant. I also took collagen as I had FUT to try and help with the scar

On 2/10/2020 at 11:40 PM, rafter_01 said:

Hi, 

Do I really need to take tablets such biotin, saw palmetto etc after my hair transplant? 

What benefits will these bring as I found the prices for them pretty extortionate at the clinic?

What did you guys take, what has benefits or are they hype jobs? 

Thanks 

Many people believe in them.  Do you need to take anything? No.  But - wait..........

Biotin is a vitamin. It will help make your hair healthy.  It will not help with retention.

For years I've heard of saw palmetto.  Prostate health?  The debate is still ongoing as to whether or not it is helpful to hair.  

Let's get back to the question of - do you need to do anything after an intervention.  This will depend on your hair loss.  It is important to realize, if you've lost, you will continue losing.  And there are some misconceptions when it comes to loss.  There are two types.  The type of you see and the type you don't see. The hair you see on the pillow, shower tub, sink is shedding.  This is normal.  Most believe 100 hairs a day is the norm. Hair loss is different and you don't see it.

Under a bright light look at the hair in your temporal areas.  Note each strand.  You'll notice some are thick and some not so much.  Eventually the hair miniaturizes to the point you can't hardly see it.  Eventually this hair dissipates and withers away.  That's hair loss and, to prevent it, we typically refer to Propecia, Rogaine, Laser and PRP.  These work in different ways and are thus synergistic when used simultaneously.  

You've done a transplant.  You go on to lose native hair.  Now it may seem as if the grafts did not take.  Wrong.  The transplants will stay but you'll continue losing native hair.  It is imperative you get on something. Once the hair is gone, it never returns.

Supplements are not required. Nor will they help retain your native hair (proof for saw palmetto is scarce at best). However, taking supplements to help your existing hair grow faster or healthier/shinier is sometimes recommended but not required especially if your diet is good. If the clinic is selling those supplements for expensive you can likely buy them online for way cheaper