FUT Donor Grafts

Hi! A long time since I have logged in. For those that don't know, almost 15 months ago I had an FUT mega-session (4380 grafts) with Hattingen Hair in Switzerland. The result is very, very good and I am more than pleased with it. I am now looking at the next step. 

I had consultations with top clinics in Europe before deciding on Hattingen. The best consultation I had was actually with Dr Feriduni and I may have even gone with him had he accepted to do FUT but he only wanted to do FUE. He said to me at the time the most he would recommend I do is 7,500 grafts in total, although I could get 9,500 but he believed it to be too risky to harvest that many. At the time I just accepted it but now I wonder if he was talking about FUE alone (as that is what we were discussing because he wouldn't agree to FUT with me) or with any transplant technique. I have emailed him to ask but it was around 18 months ago when I consulted with him and then went with somebody else (although he did highly recommend Hattingen saying they were an excellent option for me) so he would be within his rights to not reply to me.

My question is, can I harvest more than the 7,500 grafts if I use just FUT? i.e. is it normal to be able to harvest more over the lifetime of the donor with FUT than FUE without suffering the same overharvested consequences? I have a consultation with Hattingen again in March and I am now looking at informing myself again for the second procedure.

Would appreciate any input and also happy to answer any questions about Hattingen.

Thanks

Trix

Just now, LonelyGraft said:

Care to share your before and afters? It’s rare to see results from hattingen posted here but they do some solid work

I was the first person to go with them on this site (use the search facility to confirm). I said at the time I wasn't going to post photos but I may consider it now I am at the final result.

What do you think about the question I posted?

The question is difficult to answer as each donor is different- donor size, density, etc all come into play. I assumed the consensus was you could safely extract more with fut vs fue. Then when you reach the limit with fut, you can switch over to some fue. I’d consult with hattingen during your meeting as they’re the experts and are familiar with your donor.

im anxiously awaiting your pics

3 minutes ago, LonelyGraft said:

The question is difficult to answer as each donor is different- donor size, density, etc all come into play. I assumed the consensus was you could safely extract more with fut vs fue. Then when you reach the limit with fut, you can switch over to some fue. I’d consult with hattingen during your meeting as they’re the experts and are familiar with your donor.

im anxiously awaiting your pics

That wasn't the consensus. I said what's my max. donor and he said 7,500 and at the time I just accepted it but now I am not sure if that was just within the context of the FUE conversation we were having or whether it referred to in total.

I suppose a better question is: can you usually safely extract more from the donor over a lifetime with FUT than FUE?

I will definitely be going with Hattingen again but I will always inform myself as best as possible before going for a consultation with any surgeon. Hence why I am asking now. I won't be doing FUE except to fill the scar when my donor is maxed out from FUT.

I will consider it over the next few days. Why so anxious - are you considering FUT?

Just now, Aftermath said:

Almost 40, and yeah since 27

I don't take meds and so my safe zone will thin later in life (I was heading to a NW5 patter before my transplant) and I am concerned about overharvesting because of that. That said, I could do another 3k now and then another 3k in a couple of years meaning 10,380 total grafts but that seems a lot

• Administrators

Would provide before and after pictures by private message? I’d really like to see some non-clinic poster results. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

24 minutes ago, TrixGlendevon said:

That wasn't the consensus. I said what's my max. donor and he said 7,500 and at the time I just accepted it but now I am not sure if that was just within the context of the FUE conversation we were having or whether it referred to in total.

I suppose a better question is: can you usually safely extract more from the donor over a lifetime with FUT than FUE?

I will definitely be going with Hattingen again but I will always inform myself as best as possible before going for a consultation with any surgeon. Hence why I am asking now. I won't be doing FUE except to fill the scar when my donor is maxed out from FUT.

I will consider it over the next few days. Why so anxious - are you considering FUT?

You’d need to follow up with feriduni in that case or his rep. Keep in mind most of these numbers are estimations as well. Even erdogan and Lorenzo, who utilize their graft calculators try to be as accurate as possible but again it’s all a guessing game.

from my limited understanding fut should yield more “safe” donor grafts. You can begin creeping too high or too low with fue  into more unsafe donor territory. If we were looking at EXACTLY the same donor areas being extracted with fue vs fut then hands down fut would yield more grafts for a given specific area.

im just curious about your results. Not considering fut at this time 

12 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Would provide before and after pictures by private message? I’d really like to see some non-clinic poster results. 

No, sorry. Either I will post them or not. As you're the moderator, I would normally do so by PM but the reason I won't is that I remember about 12 months ago Bill had a tantrum and decided to post a screenshot of a guy's personal contact details (real name, email address and I think city) just to show that he had blocked him to everybody and so had won an argument/debate. Slow applause. Congrats, man. I messaged him asking about this and wanting to know why he had breached confidentiality but no response back meaning I don't the trust the forum with information like that. If that person had been in Europe, he could have pressed charges against Bill and the site and may even have been able to get an extradition request for it (Google GDPR). 

26 minutes ago, LonelyGraft said:

from my limited understanding fut should yield more “safe” donor grafts. You can begin creeping too high or too low with fue  into more unsafe donor territory. If we were looking at EXACTLY the same donor areas being extracted with fue vs fut then hands down fut would yield more grafts for a given specific area.

This is what I wanted to know. I wonder if a doctor will wade into this debate and shed some light on the question...........

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, TrixGlendevon said:

No, sorry. Either I will post them or not. As you're the moderator, I would normally do so by PM but the reason I won't is that I remember about 12 months ago Bill had a tantrum and decided to post a screenshot of a guy's personal contact details (real name, email address and I think city) just to show that he had blocked him to everybody and so had won an argument/debate. Slow applause. Congrats, man. I messaged him asking about this and wanting to know why he had breached confidentiality but no response back meaning I don't the trust the forum with information like that. If that person had been in Europe, he could have pressed charges against Bill and the site and may even have been able to get an extradition request for it (Google GDPR). 

Well I don’t expect you to send me your personal information. I never understood why some guys are so afraid to show their hair. It’s not like someone can recognize a scalp. It’s really hard to take what you’re saying as truth without pictures. It’s a shame too, because I’d like to see actual patient results from this clinic, I feel they may have what it takes to be recommended, but we base a lot off of real patient poster results.

Also, Bill no longer moderates the forum, he hasn’t for quite some time now.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

35 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Well I don’t expect you to send me your personal information. I never understood why some guys are so afraid to show their hair. It’s not like someone can recognize a scalp. It’s really hard to take what you’re saying as truth without pictures. It’s a shame too, because I’d like to see actual patient results from this clinic, I feel they may have what it takes to be recommended, but we base a lot off of real patient poster results.

But you already have my personal information through my account I made for this site. That was the point - he posted the guy's personal information he used to create his account on this site.

Out of curiosity, why has he stopped and who has taken his role as Head Honcho?

I didn't ask you, or anybody else, to believe me though. I asked a question about FUT vs FUE lifetime donor capacity. That said, I may well add some photos. They are a great clinic and deserve some recognition from other fora that aren't the German and, to a lesser extent, French ones plus it may well help others make a decision. I will sleep on it. 

Edited by TrixGlendevon

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Agreed. Oh well, we’ll let op sit in his fears that his identity will be revealed.