Why Is The Crown Called The Black Hole For Grafts?

Melvin- Admin

• Administrators

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators

Photos are flat, but the actual crown is dome shaped, so there's a lot more surface area to cover than it looks like in photos. It doesn't really take more grafts in the crown than it does for the front. For a frontal 3rd you can easily do 3500 grafts to fill it in somewhat densely, so wouldn't you think it would take 3500 to fill in the crown?

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Many factors are involved in this nomenclature. Shape is one.  Another is the way hair grows.  If you notice, hair in the front grows forward at an angle.  Similarly, the hair on the top also grows forward.  Since these are "working" together, most will benefit from the shingling this creates.  Call it an illusion of density.  In the crown however, growth is different.

We all share a whirl.  The hair stems from the point and grows in a swirl. This area can eat your lunch.  Worse, you will have little to nothing left to address the front and middle which is what people see when they interact.

It's important to recognize this is the weakest point for everyone. A dusting, depending on your pattern and goals, suffices. Always remain age and pattern appropriate.

• Like 1

• Administrators
7 hours ago, BeHappy said:

Photos are flat, but the actual crown is dome shaped, so there's a lot more surface area to cover than it looks like in photos. It doesn't really take more grafts in the crown than it does for the front. For a frontal 3rd you can easily do 3500 grafts to fill it in somewhat densely, so wouldn't you think it would take 3500 to fill in the crown?

Well, assuming the crown is completely bald it will take more grafts to create visual density, as opposed to the hairline. Remember, in the hairline the hair is angled forward and slowly transitions laterally in to the mid-scalp- this means it will block light and hid the scalp more than the crown. The crown the hairs are angled almost flat against the skin, so by nature it will need more grafts to give the same appearance.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I think the most critical points are, that you can easily run of grafts with crown cases:

- If you repair the crown an lose in similar fashion you will end up with a unnatural donut look.

- If you double the balding diameter of your crown - you need 4 times the grafts to fill it (or additional 3 times the grafts after you initial surgery)  

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Gasthoerer said:

I think the most critical points are, that you can easily run of grafts with crown cases:

- If you repair the crown an lose in similar fashion you will end up with a unnatural donut look.

- If you double the balding diameter of your crown - you need 4 times the grafts to fill it (or additional 3 times the grafts after you initial surgery)  

A lot of guys don't understand this part. 

View my thread