Do You Have To Shave Your Head Before Getting A Hair Transplant?

• Administrators

What do you guys think? I shaved my head for my second procedure, and I noticed my growth was excellent. I'd love to hear the communities input.

Do You Have To Shave Your Head Before Getting A Hair Transplant?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@Melvin-Moderator I shaved mine for this last procedure I had done. I think it's essential when going through all the work of a transplant, that you give your doctor the best possible situation to know where grafts need to be placed and to yield the best possible result in the end. It's just another obstacle to remove to allow the doctor to work efficiently.

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, makehairgreatagain said:

@Melvin-Moderator I shaved mine for this last procedure I had done. I think it's essential when going through all the work of a transplant, that you give your doctor the best possible situation to know where grafts need to be placed and to yield the best possible result in the end. It's just another obstacle to remove to allow the doctor to work efficiently.

I agree 100% but I can empathize with not wanting to shave your head. I shaved my head for a year before getting a hair transplant, and I hated every minute of it, end justify the means.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I think it is essential for FUE, but not needed for FUT.  I hate short hair because I feel like Uncle Fester, and I don't want to look like Stone Cold Steve Austin.  Some guys shave their head and it is bright white and looks like a cue ball.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

• Administrators
3 hours ago, duchaine said:

Melvin, do you mean blade shaved (o mm) or 1-2 mm short?

Blade shaved zero guard

View my thread

On 11/26/2019 at 4:54 PM, makehairgreatagain said:

My question is: if you shave your head, how con the doctor see the angles and the directions of pre-existing hair follicles?

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, duchaine said:

My question is: if you shave your head, how con the doctor see the angles and the directions of pre-existing hair follicles?

They wear high magnification glasses while creating recipient sites. It's actually a lot easier to see the angles with buzzed head.

View my thread

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

They wear high magnification glasses while creating recipient sites. It's actually a lot easier to see the angles with buzzed head.

I can see  direction is not a problem if the doc uses glasses.
About angles it can be a real problem...

I quote doc Shapiro "Angle refers to the degree of elevation a hair as it exits the scalp. Direction refers to which way the hair points when leaving the scalp. It is important to pay attention to the changes in both direction and angle of hair positioned around the hairline."

If the hair is shaved, how can the cos see the degree of elevation?

May 2 mm long hair can be a good way to fix this problem

Edited by duchaine