is My donor area suitable

Hi everyone, 

‘I am thinking to get a hair transplant . I will need to use about 1-2000 grafts from donor area and the rest using beard and chest hair. I just want your opinions and advice on if this is something you think is viable. 

258DE6A1-6A7B-47E4-B1C2-ACA37C631C77.jpeg

33CC779F-73B2-4B82-80BA-122CFB275EE2.jpeg

7ED62775-73C6-4754-8BD2-0FF1C1372C82.jpeg

0D7AB2AE-3695-4DB6-B85A-E9AE3893D51A.jpeg

@Ukd6

Is something viable, I would suggest yes. The key being, what are you realistically looking to achieve? I think that this will be a large motivation of whether surgery is correct for you.

Your photos show significant loss and retrograde alopecia, further limiting potential accessible donor. Do you have a further photo of your head down, showing the top, to be able to see more clearly how high your sides have maintained. They appear reasonably high from your profile image.

May I ask why you say 1k - 2k from the donor?

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

IMG_20191027_173931.thumb.jpg.dfc46a75ebbdf8a9c0ab69feba71fa27.jpgthanks for your input. yes totally agree with what you are saying. the retrograde is also apparent so if I do go ahead I don't want to rely on using anything strictly outside of the safe zone. 

I am looking to acheibe a buzz cut look grade 1 on top. mainly desire the hair line and top to have a decent but not overly dense coverage, at this stage I'm not bothered about the crown. 

I'm. very concerned how the fue marks will look if I go to a zero back and sides any input on that issue would  be very helpful 

1 hour ago, Raphael84 said:

@Ukd6

Is something viable, I would suggest yes. The key being, what are you realistically looking to achieve? I think that this will be a large motivation of whether surgery is correct for you.

Your photos show significant loss and retrograde alopecia, further limiting potential accessible donor. Do you have a further photo of your head down, showing the top, to be able to see more clearly how high your sides have maintained. They appear reasonably high from your profile image.

May I ask why you say 1k - 2k from the donor?

this is what have been advised a few years ago with a premium clinic and just l am aware that my donor area is not great. 

I really don't want to be looking worse as I honestly don't mind the bald look, I'm seeking a cosmetic improvement 

• Administrators

What are you looking to achieve through surgery? What are your expectations?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

43 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

What are you looking to achieve through surgery? What are your expectations?

I would like a soft but definite hair line, and a short cropped look all over the top . No1 cropped. This way I can add body hair over time to increase density . 

Looks like u have about 2500-3500 viable grafts not including beard and or chest which could yield u another 2500 likely. I would consider SMP as well as that can give the illusion of more density. U look like a fine candidate to me.

37 minutes ago, GNX1 said:

Looks like u have about 2500-3500 viable grafts not including beard and or chest which could yield u another 2500 likely. I would consider SMP as well as that can give the illusion of more density. U look like a fine candidate to me.

Thanks, I that’s slightly more optimist than I thought . Appreciate your feedback man. I’m booked to go ahead in February. 

24 minutes ago, Ukd6 said:

Thanks, I that’s slightly more optimist than I thought . Appreciate your feedback man. I’m booked to go ahead in February. 

Wow! That was a quick decision. 
With which Doctor have you decided to proceed?

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

1 hour ago, GNX1 said:

In regards to the smp, I honestly hate the thought of a scalp tattoo. I would worry that it would feel unnatural and I would feel compelled to get it removed which would be a disaster considering my new hair would hopefully be growing ....weird thought I know. To be honest it’s been 20 years of baldness and the idea of seeing hair grow out of my natural scalp is very appealing. I have very low expectations of this procedure and I think I will be easily pleased with whatever ok result I get . Nothing against guys with smp. It just doesn’t appeal to me 

13 minutes ago, Raphael84 said:

Wow! That was a quick decision. 
With which Doctor have you decided to proceed?

Wrong wording sorry, I meant to say I have booked time off work In February. 3 weeks off to get this procedure. I have not decided which doc to go to. Very tempted by Turkey 

That makes more sense.

Just be careful with your choice of surgeon.

The correct and most appropriate approach is essential for you. By your own admissions you are reasonably comfortable with your current look. So you are not like many other guys who are desperately insecure regarding their hair loss. This is of course a positive. Despite seeming to have a “lower bar” for your procedure to be deemed a success, an inappropriate plan in regards to hairline design and placement, density and coverage could leave you in a worse situation.

As well as the above mentioned surgery details, an understanding of the potential use of beard hair/body hair, if you would like to address further back toward/into your vertex. Perhaps a subsequent procedure? All this needs to be clearly discussed and understood between yourself and your Doctor. 

Beard hair is a very reliable source of donor hair.

Whilst physicians have differing points of view, it’s generally understood that body hair (not beard) has around a 25% success rate. It differs significantly from one patient to another. A test session is generally encouraged, but don’t “bank” on body hair being the definitive answer to gain more coverage long term without knowing how your body will respond to body hair transplantation.

It’s important to have a good understanding of everything that you may be considering, before commiting.

3 hours ago, Ukd6 said:

In regards to the smp, I honestly hate the thought of a scalp tattoo. I would worry that it would feel unnatural and I would feel compelled to get it removed which would be a disaster considering my new hair would hopefully be growing ....weird thought I know. To be honest it’s been 20 years of baldness and the idea of seeing hair grow out of my natural scalp is very appealing. I have very low expectations of this procedure and I think I will be easily pleased with whatever ok result I get . Nothing against guys with smp. It just doesn’t appeal to me 

Its not a Tattoo. It will fade over time and if u dont like it then dont re-do it but none of the SMP's are designed to be forever so its a temporary option. Like it. Re-do it. Dont like it dont re-do it. Pretty much that simple.

47 minutes ago, GNX1 said:

Its not a Tattoo. It will fade over time and if u dont like it then dont re-do it but none of the SMP's are designed to be forever so its a temporary option. Like it. Re-do it. Dont like it dont re-do it. Pretty much that simple.

well this adds a new slant on it. I have seen guys having to get laser removal on their amp so I suppose there is a new method and new ink that is not permanent.... interesting stuff 

4 hours ago, Raphael84 said:

That makes more sense.

Just be careful with your choice of surgeon.

The correct and most appropriate approach is essential for you. By your own admissions you are reasonably comfortable with your current look. So you are not like many other guys who are desperately insecure regarding their hair loss. This is of course a positive. Despite seeming to have a “lower bar” for your procedure to be deemed a success, an inappropriate plan in regards to hairline design and placement, density and coverage could leave you in a worse situation.

As well as the above mentioned surgery details, an understanding of the potential use of beard hair/body hair, if you would like to address further back toward/into your vertex. Perhaps a subsequent procedure? All this needs to be clearly discussed and understood between yourself and your Doctor. 

Beard hair is a very reliable source of donor hair.

Whilst physicians have differing points of view, it’s generally understood that body hair (not beard) has around a 25% success rate. It differs significantly from one patient to another. A test session is generally encouraged, but don’t “bank” on body hair being the definitive answer to gain more coverage long term without knowing how your body will respond to body hair transplantation.

It’s important to have a good understanding of everything that you may be considering, before commiting.

Yes you are spot on with what you say. I need to find a surgeon that can build a plan that is going to give me the best possible results. there is no point starting on this road otherwise. What are your thoughts regarding fue scars? I intend to keep very short hair back amd sides. 

• Administrators
On 11/10/2019 at 2:12 PM, Ukd6 said:

I would like a soft but definite hair line, and a short cropped look all over the top . No1 cropped. This way I can add body hair over time to increase density . 

Can you post an example of what you feel would be an acceptable result.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

All donors need to be microscopically examined and then an evaluation rendered by the surgeon.

The doctor may want your hair to be a tad bit longer so that an accurate evaluation for which hair is being affected by DHT and unsuitable for transplantation.

I also agree that there is some retro-alopecia going on and again why a microscopic evaluation is so important before making decisions involving surgery.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

1 hour ago, gillenator said:

All donors need to be microscopically examined and then an evaluation rendered by the surgeon.

The doctor may want your hair to be a tad bit longer so that an accurate evaluation for which hair is being affected by DHT and unsuitable for transplantation.

I also agree that there is some retro-alopecia going on and again why a microscopic evaluation is so important before making decisions involving surgery.

Yes . This is the crux of my situation. It makes me think why bother with a ht, bad donor and retro. Man my genetics suck. The body hair fue gives some hop though. Maybe medication can help the retro. 

• Administrators
48 minutes ago, Ukd6 said:

I guess I would want to work towards this in 2 sessions a year apart. 

BA6C6729-9002-42DD-9283-7EC4CC2EA1E8.jpeg

I don't know to be honest with you, I have to tell you the truth. You have to have a lot of hair for it to look decent cut short. This myth that cutting your hair short makes your hair look thicker is a load of bollocks, as our friends in the UK would say, it's clear to me that the picture you just posted would look 10X thicker if the hair was grown out. I don't see this being achieved in two sessions. Maybe if you choose strip surgery, but then you wouldn't be able to shave down. Also, how short do you plan on cutting the sides? You will never be able to shave your head if you undergo surgery. 

View my thread

14 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I don't know to be honest with you, I have to tell you the truth. You have to have a lot of hair for it to look decent cut short. This myth that cutting your hair short makes your hair look thicker is a load of bollocks, as our friends in the UK would say, it's clear to me that the picture you just posted would look 10X thicker if the hair was grown out. I don't see this being achieved in two sessions. Maybe if you choose strip surgery, but then you wouldn't be able to shave down. Also, how short do you plan on cutting the sides? You will never be able to shave your head if you undergo surgery. 

I want zero grade back and sides . I have seen a lot of guys with 0.7 or o.8 mm fue scars that although can be seen, don’t look that bad . Appreciate your honesty. I do not want years of repair surgery . 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Ukd6 said:

I want zero grade back and sides . I have seen a lot of guys with 0.7 or o.8 mm fue scars that although can be seen, don’t look that bad . Appreciate your honesty. I do not want years of repair surgery . 

My advice keep shaving your head. Forget about surgery if you wanna shave down that close. I guarantee you’ll see scars, everyone is different, so how bad the scars look depends on your physiology, but i can assure you that scars are visible at a zero guard. 

• Like 2

View my thread