New hair transplant in the same area

Hi everyone

I have had two hair transplants, and it has really been good. It changed a lot in my "hair self confidence". Though the two transplants have been quite succesful, there are some thing I would like to improve.

My first transplant was 1500 and the second 2400 grafts. Growth was great on the first, whereas the second was all right, but not impressive.

The midsection of my head is thinning, so in a year or two it will probably be visible. I think I have grafts enough in my donor area. It will probably be something like 1000-1500 grafts needed. The hair line and the crown needs some more grafts. Probably just a few hundred in front and a little more on the crown. So a total of 2000 grafts is what I expect based on my prior experience. I am 51 years old, so it will probably be my last hair transplant.

But I have read somewhere, that grafts doesn't survive as often, when they are transplanted into areas, where there previously has been transplanted hair. Something with scar tissue or so.

Is it so? And if so: how big is the effect?

This is not a problem. This would be true if you had a terrible case with a butcher and needed a repair. But if you had a quality procedure, do not sweat it. 

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I don’t have experience with this but I’ve read various things on this. Some claim hair doesn’t grow as well in previously transplanted areas due to scar tissue but I’ve seen enough cases of touch ups and density enhancements where I don’t think the issue is that big of a deal. I’ve also heard the second transplant in the same area can grow slower than the first.

however, like spanker said, if you go to a reputable surgeon and youve already experienced good results last two times, I wouldn’t worry too much

good luck

Getting rid of baldness is not easy sometimes we try all the medications but still if the hair loss is due to genetic then i don't think it would be recover and for this the only one simple proven solution exist is hair transplant.

Currently  we are offering Hair Transplant Services in Ludhiana  at very low cost. You can easily get FUE Hair Transplant treatment at reasonable price.

Edited by hairtransplant98

• 2 weeks later...

From personal experience, growth can certainly be slower in previously treated areas, but as has been said, with a reputable surgeon you should be fine.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

I recall that about 20 years ago the general concept was to leave a separation in between grafts to allow grafts to survive. (Grafts compete for blood supply). 4-12 months later, a patient could return for a second procedure to add density.  By moving forward 4 months after the procedure the patient could conceptually enjoy a fuller set of hair in the shortest amount of time.  And, by waiting this particular period, it would allow for the doctor to see where the first growth was, allowing him to see where the 2nd procedure grafts would go.

I want you to do an exercise.  Get a blank piece of paper and a pencil. Anywhere in the paper I would like you to draw a 3" X 3" square.  Within the square go all the way down to the bottom line and, just above the line, place the pencil and draw small lines upwards and continue doing that until you, fill the square.  Imagine this is the result of procedure 1.  Obviously, going from a blank area to a fuller area, there is a HUGE difference.  Now, go to the same square and do the same thing you did previously.  Because there was hair, it is now more difficult to tell a difference if more grafts are placed.  This is very simplistic and it does not take into account the fact that hair shingles once it grows.  It is imperative for the clinic to take photos and to use magnification.  This typically will take care of any questions the patient may have with regards to the success of the second procedure.

To say that the results of a second procedure would be suspect because of the first is ludicrous unless something happened during the procedure that was truly out of wack.

Lastly, there is no mention of the use of medical therapy.  If the patient goes on and loses more native hair, this will also have an impact on the overall result.

Edited by LaserCap
Forgot to add the last two lines