Is A Hair Transplant Permanent?

Melvin- Admin

• Administrators

Hi Guys,

I encourage all of you take a few short minutes to read this article, the question comes up a lot and I would be lying if I said I didn't research this topic when I was researching hair transplants.

Is A Hair Transplant Permanent?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

It should be permanent if done right, otherwise surgical error caused shockloss and improper surgical protocols, or unethical surgical impacts and doctor decisions can negatively effect your scalp and quality of life and goals.  Surgeons should listen to patients goals and concerns and not shortchange patients as folks pay top dollar for these procedures.  Surgeons should be honest and not be deceptive nor be dishonest later vs their emails and convos discussed.  Businesses have a duty to follow laws and standards to maintain honest and prevent deceptive tactics.  It can certainly be a pain in the ass if the right parties of power get involved and take steps/actions against certain businesses.  I really hope if a surgeon screws up, they remedy and do whatever it takes to resolve the situation or give a refund.

• 1 month later...

Hair transplant is a surgical procedure in which the surgeon moves hair to a bald area of the head. The surgeon mostly moves hair from the back or side of the head to the top or front of the head. Everyone suffering from hair loss due to many reasons such as heredity, Medical condition, hormonal Changes and so on. Hair Transplant is the advanced technology. Hair transplant is a safe procedure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

No. A hair transplant is not permanent. Hair that is transplanted lasts only as long is that hair would have lasted in the area it was taken from. As you get older and your so called safe area begins to thin with age, so will the transplanted hair since it is the same hair that was in the now thinning so called safe area. If anyone tells you not to worry about that because it doesn't happen until you are over 70 or something, don't believe it because it is not necessarily true (and besides, they then just admitted that it's not permanent. Think about that). It is certainly true that some people will pass away before the transplanted hair falls out, but this does not mean that will be true for everyone. If you are in these forums for a while you will see posts from people asking how their donor area looks and you will see responses that their donor looks weak or that they have retro-grade alopecia meaning they have thinning in the "safe" area. How is that possible if that hair is permanent? Many of those posts asking about their donor are from people who are under 40.

Anyone who tells you that transplanted hair is permanent is either misinformed or lying.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.