Stop Finastride before HT - Doc Recommendation

Hi All,

I have had two consults - One with a rep and one with the doctor himself (both recommended on this forum). I have been on FIN since Feb, 2018.

I was told to STOP using FIN one month prior to the HT so only the native strong hair are picked up for transplant.

My question is - Is this a standard practice since I have never heard this before and I have been browsing these forums and reading tons of material but never came across this recommendation. Do you guys stop using FIN prior to HT?

Your safe zone looks fine and all of the grafts should come from there. I don’t know why he’d want you to stop Finasteride.  You still have some hair in your recipient area and Finasteride helps strengthen that hair. If you suffer shock loss on top after the procedure then continuing on Finasteride would help prevent it from being permanent. Consider getting additional surgical opinions.

To answer your questions directly, I don’t think it is standard practice for typical MPB patients. And I was on Finasteride before, during, and after my procedure.

Edited by Spaceman

• Administrators

Why do you want to remove this post? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Why do you want to remove this post? 

Melvin - Not this one. I created it first under "results posted by surgeons"...so I want it removed from there. I updated it to "delete" as the subject in that thread.

This thread is fine.

Panamera,

Have not heard of doctors pulling patients off finasteride prior to surgery...most will recommend just the opposite and want their patients to be on it before their procedure.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY