Just doing it

So I've been a long term poster and lurker on here and other forums, had a few consultations with different surgeons, spoke to others in depth, and would say I was pretty knowledgeable about HTs, what to expect etc. Regardless, I'd like to get some other opinions, gladly from admins or other members who've been here a while, about getting an HT. I'm very close to signing up for one with a listed surgeon on here, I've seen great work by him, I've seen not so great work though too, though there seems to be mitigating circumstances on a few of those. I'm posting some pics underneath and would love your input based on the following info + any questions you feel I should ask before signing the dotted line.

• I'm 29 - NW 5? 4? No family history of MPB, very high amount of body hair (i.e. high DHT I would suspect).
  • 4k grafts (I'll focus on frontal 2/3 density and consider future HT or shaving when i'm older)
  • Use minox and Nizoral. I've never taken Fin and side effects terrify me, but slowly part of me is tempted to just try it, though I'll be pissed to do so as rejected it for hte last 8 years (i.e. been losing hair since 21)

My questions to the forum:

• How much density do you think is realistic?
  • Thoughts on donor area quality?
  • Fin aside, how can I limit future loss?
  • If you were me, would you go for Hair Transplantation, how many grafts, what would you consider?

Pics 1/2 show front, 3 / 4 crown & donor with longer hair, 5&6 donor with short hair (it's the light, not an FUT scar), pic 7 in harsh light with kinda greasy hair - what I'm working with in terms of area needing to be covered.

Before I pull the trigger on this, I'm really keen to hear some other opinions, so please tell me your thoughts.

IMG_20180525_123323.jpg

IMG_20180724_213945.jpg

IMG_20180814_094425.jpg

IMG_20180814_094429.jpg

IMG-20180821-WA0000.jpeg

IMG-20180821-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20180822-WA0007.jpeg

Hard to say as the photos are really quite fuzzy, but...

You have the low hair to scalp contrast going for you.  Hair looks on the fine side though.  Donor looks solid enough.

I'd say you're probably headed to a NW6 later in life.  Nothing other than Fin and Minox can help you.  Fin is like a 7 or 8/10; minox a 3 or 4/10.

I wouldn't go doing a big one day FUE session as for the most part they are insane without even knowing how your follicles will react to the stresses.  Stick to 2000-2500max.  You can always go back for more and possibly revert to strip.  Get a shotgun donor area with limited growth and you're in a world of hurt.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Very good advice, that is for that.

The pics aren't great, I'd say I was NW 5 already though for sure sadly. Tbh I would probably prefer FUT but there is nobody I can afford in Europe who offer them. The FUE surgeon I'm speaking with is well known for doing mega sessions which is why I'm considering it. 2500 grafts wouldn't make a difference to me I don't think :(

Good on you for being proactive and taking the steps man

>How much density do you think is realistic?

Realistically, you will not have good enough density if you decide to cover a wide area, since you do have extensive frontal-third thinning and loss, and have what looks to be fine hair. If I were you, I would not do a low straight hairline with full coverage attempt, I would concentrate on a hairline that would possibly suit you and your age better, one that looks like actor Jude Law’s latest “hairline” with higher temples but good density.

>Thoughts on donor area quality?

Hard to tell from your photos, but your donor area looks decent enough to possibly undergone a procedure.

>Fin aside, how can I limit future loss?

Take a Biotin supplement and wash hair with baby shampoo or an “organic” shampoo free of SLS and parabens.

>If you were me, would you go for Hair Transplantation, how many grafts, what would you consider?

Yes, since you have already lost a lot of hair and wouldn’t need to worry about much more lost hair if’s or when’s. I would do between 2,500-3,500 grafts. See, ‘Realistic’ answer, a Jude Law 2018 type hair coverage.

Good Luck! 

255A817E-56CB-4F1C-9773-BA0B29117334.jpeg

Edited by VicTNYC

21 hours ago, gbhscot said:

Very good advice, that is for that.

The pics aren't great, I'd say I was NW 5 already though for sure sadly. Tbh I would probably prefer FUT but there is nobody I can afford in Europe who offer them. The FUE surgeon I'm speaking with is well known for doing mega sessions which is why I'm considering it. 2500 grafts wouldn't make a difference to me I don't think :(

You could get 6-7000 hairs with 2500 FUE depending on donor density.  That could make dramatic improvement to your appearance.

FUT you can kiss goodbye to the hair length in the final two pictures, but if you're ok with that it would likely result in a great outcome. 

Those Docs in Thailand might be a good price for FUT (Path and Laorwong).  Might be worth considering or keep saving.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Some good advice so far. Your hair definitely appears quite fine,  your donor area is hard to judge from pics alone but it doesn't look to be the densest. (the shortness and the light colour of your hair may not be giving a true picture though). You say you've had a few consultations already. Were they in-person? What is their opinion of your donor quality and recommendations re graft numbers etc?

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

Hi guys, thanks all for the input. I think I'm starting to rule FUT out anyways, I'd rather have the option to shave down as things progress. Tbh I'm very unlikely to get on fIN unless I find a topical.

Re donor, always been told.i have super thick hair. The above pics are freshly cut and with quite a sunburn, when it's grown out it's as below... I don't think it's incredible but donor area could be a lot worse I guess...

IMG_20180814_094429.jpg

HL-left_1298x2309.jpg