Hairs never shed after transplant... nor did they grow, just stuck as stubble..

I had a FUE of 2000 grafts 2 months ago.  I know most people shed the transplanted hair 2-4 weeks after and the root stays in place.  In my case, the majority of hair never fell out.  It is still there and I can feel the stubble.  I had my GF inspect and she confirmed this.  She used tweezers to see if the hair would come out easily and it did.  Should I be concerned?  I'm worried these are failed implants or something.  Weird they haven't fallen out like the majority of people.  Anybody else here experience this issue?  Thanks.

Hi Densedream,

I think I can recall you having one or more previous surgeries, even one with our very own Dr Bhatti I believe.

I take it you did shed on the previous occasions. I would have expected your body to react in the same way.

I take it your scabs came off after 10-14 days and you wasn't over over cautious in washing you implanted scalp?

It's a strange one, I guess you'll just have to ride it out for the next couple of months and see where it takes you.

It sounds like dead hair from the grafts that did not leave your scalp but the crusts did?   You can potentially use a little more pressure to scrub your scalp in the shower with your fingertips to remove the dead hair.  That should do the trick.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Best of luck Densedream.  Interesting it didn’t shed this time by itself and still there 2 months post op.  Some people don’t shed at all and maybe this time it just planted well and you may not see a shed but growth.  In any case, hope you get great growth in the months ahead.  

And remember, it's possible that some of the grafts have remained in the growth phase and they will not shed until they are ready to enter the resting telogen phase.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 2 years later...
On 8/20/2018 at 8:26 AM, densedream said:

I had a FUE of 2000 grafts 2 months ago.  I know most people shed the transplanted hair 2-4 weeks after and the root stays in place.  In my case, the majority of hair never fell out.  It is still there and I can feel the stubble.  I had my GF inspect and she confirmed this.  She used tweezers to see if the hair would come out easily and it did.  Should I be concerned?  I'm worried these are failed implants or something.  Weird they haven't fallen out like the majority of people.  Anybody else here experience this issue?  Thanks.

Did this stubble end up growing in?

Talk with your surgeon about this for sure...if I was in this situation, I would definitely scrub my scalp vigorously to remove all of the dead stubbles.

Also, in another month or so you should start seeing some new growth of the grafts...you are on the threshold.

Gillenator

5 minutes ago, deitel130 said:

Do you have a pic?

Yep, I posted them in my thread here. It is the most recent pics at the 1 month mark.

I'm not sure if the grafts are dead because they were growing normally for the 2 weeks before the shed started and keeping pace with my normal native hair. Then they finally shed and left behind the stubble. Maybe the stubble is shedded hair that didn't fall out properly. I suppose I could check by taking a tweezer to it and seeing how easily it gives away.

What has probably happened is that during washing the hair strand broke off leaving behind the remaining hair. Given that majority of transplanted hair sheds had it not broke off it would have shed and you would probably not have seen the stubble. It's just now there is not much hair sticking out to help remove it during washing. It will probably get pushed out at the 3-4 month mark when the new hair comes through. 

You are almost at 2 months right?

5 minutes ago, deitel130 said:

What has probably happened is that during washing the hair strand broke off leaving behind the remaining hair. Given that majority of transplanted hair sheds had it not broke off it would have shed and you would probably not have seen the stubble. It's just now there is not much hair sticking out to help remove it during washing. It will probably get pushed out at the 3-4 month mark when the new hair comes through. 

You are almost at 2 months right?

That's right. Hopefully we will see if its an issue or not around the 4+ month mark.

• Like 1

Only time will tell but I think you will be fine.

Gillenator

No, never spoke to her again however I did see her several weeks later in the same club that I met her in...but she just looked at me and walked the other way...actually, she was a pretty decent gal and not the type that would humiliate me.

I actually looked pretty good in my system but once she knew...that was it...we just went our separate ways and that was fine with me...obviously she felt the same way...HA!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Gillenator

On 1/8/2021 at 8:39 PM, gillenator said:

No, never spoke to her again however I did see her several weeks later in the same club that I met her in...but she just looked at me and walked the other way...actually, she was a pretty decent gal and not the type that would humiliate me.

I actually looked pretty good in my system but once she knew...that was it...we just went our separate ways and that was fine with me...obviously she felt the same way...HA!

haha I wonder if she became paranoid and started to visually inspect the scalps of the guys she dated after you - even trying pulling a chunck of their hairs to see if they are really attached to their scalps!

Edited by JohnBob
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I wonder if the experience gave her nightmares....she probably does not date guys who look like me!...HA!

Gillenator