Do the top Turkish doctors charge in Lira or USD?

PeloDinero

Haha!  All surgeons weigh their currency vs USD and/or EURUSD.  What will they do if the EURUSD drops below par again?  Oh, they'll say no, we don't take the Euro anymore for payment, we want your U.S. dollars.

It's somewhat deceptive if they bait/switch payment currencies over time.  And they will.

I feel if they are giving their local patients prices in Lira, then they should do the same for others.  Otherwise, you are just trying to profit of folks unethically from out of country.   One patient scalp is the same as another scalp.  If you want to play the game of no you are different you need to pay me more well then patients can look elsewhere for medical tourism.  

Take Canada for instance-  1USD for 1.30 CAD and the doctors there still take Canadian.  (Unless there is something I don’t know that is going on)

I had to exchange USD for Canadian and at a greater loss at the time as Canadian was worth more then the USD at the time. More than $3000 loss due to currency exchange issues .  That is not just the loss with surgery payment, but with added travel costs, fuel, hotel, and etc.  

Well Sean - hasn't H&W and Rahal always quoted prices for their services in the loonie (CAD)?  If so, you know that going in as long as CAD is way above par you are paying a premium.

Same w/European doctors quoting their prices in EUR/USD. 

Do you think any of these doctors would lower their prices if EUR/USD popped back up to 1.45 against the dollar?  Haha!

So, the Rupee just hit all-time highs USD/INR.  If surgeons like Bhatti quote consistently in Rupees - you know you will have to pay a premium right now.  And he's passing on the 18% GST tax!  Oh boy.

Since local workers are paid in local currency ALL payments should be made in local currency. 

But of course, go to Turkey and get a quote - any good doctor is quoting EUR/USD or USD. 

Let's say the EURUSD falls back to .9 against the USD?  You think Erdogan is going to ask for EUR/USD in payment or USD?  Hmm...

There will always be currency fluctuations - though in my humble opinion if prices fluctuate year over year more than 5% I believe customers should be offered price breaks to keep things consistent every 6-12 months.

My last surgery I was quoted USD as payment but the surgery was not in the U.S.

Edited by jjsrader

Jjstrader, yup the price is in CAD but not sure if anything changed for some surgeons.  There were some posts in between where some patients said they were told USD when loonie was falling.  I am not sure with which docs.  

I know at the time for me it was CAD and exchange rates were not in my favor at all. Today, they are in favor of US patients.  But a doc from the country they serve in should accept the currency of that country, especially, if they do the same from their local population.  Just my opinion.