Finasteride question

James81

So I’ve been taking finasteride for 3 months now ,I haven’t noticed any sexual side Effects,

but this past week I’ve noticed some slight mood changes,nothing too bad,but I seem to get 

kinda stressed a lot easier,I did notice an initial shed,but that seems to have stopped now ,

Also I seem to have stopped loosing hair in shower,which is great,I read a lot of people here 

saying they stopped due to sides,what sides are most common,I’d like to remain on the drug

but am now concerned I’m dett8 g self up for something worse down the line,I started on 1 mg 

daily,but have cut to .5 to see how that works,anybody here been on this drug for long periods of

time without problems?,any tips or insight greatly appreciated thanks

• Administrators

I’m fairly certain you’ll be okay, I think some guys may correlate any issues with finasteride. Remember correlation doesn’t equal causation, there could be a multitude of reasons for the mood changes. I’m not on finasteride and I get mood changes as well depending on stress, life events etc. 

Warm regards-Melvin

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

By and large it's usually placebo and psyching oneself out, finasteride does not tend to effect many people beyond the scare mongering of people on the internet, which can plant seeds of doubt in some men new to taking it.

There is nothing that has been observed to be caused by finasteride that won't be reversed by stopping the drug, so never fear it,  finasreride is not going to harm your health.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

thanks guys,

I’m just very sceptical of pharmaceuticals,I’ve taken accutane back in 2007,that’s when my hair first began to fall out,I know plenty of people will say it’s just coincidental,but I know my own body, I have 7 brothers not one of them has suffered from any signs of  hairloss,my father started to slightly recede in his sixties,none of my uncles on mothers sides have hairloss,I done a lot of internet reading about accutane and many people say that it can speed up mpb,I think without accutane I would have maybe started showing signs of mpb just like my dad at a later age,then accutane just triggered it to kick in faster,after that I’ve been pretty reluctant to trust any drug,I appreciate the replies,and I’m gonna stay on finasteride,

It’s well know accurate causes hair loss .. I feel u ,, I had to take meds for a health condition that had a rare side effect of thinning hair since it thins ur blood .. that crap work for my Heath but I had to get off it cuz it jumped start my mpb..

fin is okay ,, it works kinda ,. When they say it keeps u baseline to when u started ,, that’s bull .. I’ve seem to lost my hair n thinning hair since I’ve been on it for a year .. but it could be that mpb was just kicking azz , either way .. I’m staying on it .. I feel no side efftects n it’s all we got to stop balding .. so can’t complain  bout it .. 

Yep in 3 months .. 2000 grafts to the hairline .. im Looking forward to it but also worried about it too .. even if the transplant turn out well .. if finasteride don’t slow down the mpb it’s going to be a costly n frustrating battle with hairloss .. how bout u ?.. 

I hear ya dude,that’s why I’m really hoping finasteride is beneficial for me,I really don’t want to go through another ht anytime soon,even if I were super rich it’s just such an emotional roller coaster,well I’m still waiting for growth,it’s almost 12 weeks, donor area is still not where I want to be right now,but I’ve just been keeping my hair longer and it’s grown to the point where just a little dermapatch can conceal,I’m hoping it’s not over harvested and I can get enough growth that I can eventually have a buzz cut again,that was  the reason I chose fue rather than strip,hoping by 5 months I can have something more positive to say about that,as for the temple area shock loss or alopecia areata,whatever it is/was well that’s certainly growing back,I’m seeing growth in recipient,  but nothing of any cosmetic value yet,I think you chose a great time to have procedure done,I would never do it again in summer,it’s definitely been the most reclusive summer I’ve ever had,I’ll hopefully be able to post some pics of good growth in the coming months,sending you good thoughts and hoping your procedure is everything you want it to be bro:)

I remember ur thread .. that sux ur donor hasn’t  fully healed yet .. u very lucky u get to work at home .. keep us updated on ur thread ok ,; hopefully the growth starts coming in soon .. I’m really worried about my surgery too .. it’s not all rosy n easy as people make it out to be .. lots of complications can arise .. it’s definitely a journey .. 

16 hours ago, James81 said:

I hear ya dude,that’s why I’m really hoping finasteride is beneficial for me,I really don’t want to go through another ht anytime soon,even if I were super rich it’s just such an emotional roller coaster,well I’m still waiting for growth,it’s almost 12 weeks, donor area is still not where I want to be right now,but I’ve just been keeping my hair longer and it’s grown to the point where just a little dermapatch can conceal,I’m hoping it’s not over harvested and I can get enough growth that I can eventually have a buzz cut again,that was  the reason I chose fue rather than strip,hoping by 5 months I can have something more positive to say about that,as for the temple area shock loss or alopecia areata,whatever it is/was well that’s certainly growing back,I’m seeing growth in recipient,  but nothing of any cosmetic value yet,I think you chose a great time to have procedure done,I would never do it again in summer,it’s definitely been the most reclusive summer I’ve ever had,I’ll hopefully be able to post some pics of good growth in the coming months,sending you good thoughts and hoping your procedure is everything you want it to be bro:)

It works well on crown and vertex, not so well on hairline and frontal third.

Edited by Speegs

50 minutes ago, Speegs said:

It works well on crown and vertex, not so well on hairline and frontal third.

Thanks speegs,

have you maintained or had any regrowth,how long have you been using it?

4 hours ago, James81 said:

Thanks speegs,

have you maintained or had any regrowth,how long have you been using it?

My crown and vertex seem to be intact, about to be 34, look as they did circa 21 when I began finasteride.

So efficacy is holding up so far. I don't know if anyhthing regrew or not, too hard to tell, negligable if much of anything.

But allowed me to be aggressive restoring the frontal third and hairline surgically knowing the back half of my head would be protected by finasteride.

Edited by Speegs

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2018 at 6:27 AM, Legend007 said:

Yep in 3 months .. 2000 grafts to the hairline .. im Looking forward to it but also worried about it too .. even if the transplant turn out well .. if finasteride don’t slow down the mpb it’s going to be a costly n frustrating battle with hairloss .. how bout u ?.. 

Finasteride will slow your rate of progression. Been on it 9 years but it won't maintain your hair forever you will probably need multiple surgerys and plenty of $$ 

12 hours ago, Djlazerblue said:

Finasteride will slow your rate of progression. Been on it 9 years but it won't maintain your hair forever you will probably need multiple surgerys and plenty of $$ 

In the 9 years you’ve been on it ,have you had multiple surgeries?

On 8/19/2018 at 5:51 PM, James81 said:

In the 9 years you’ve been on it ,have you had multiple surgeries?

I've been on it for 13 years, it still works. 

7 hours ago, Speegs said:

I've been on it for 13 years, it still works. 

Good to hear ,thanks Speegs,so have you had zero sides?lately ive  noticed less morning wood,but have no problems when I need to get it up ,

6 minutes ago, James81 said:

Good to hear ,thanks Speegs,so have you had zero sides?lately ive  noticed less morning wood,but have no problems when I need to get it up ,

How old are you? Doubtful finasteride has any meaningful impact on your sex life, most of those claims are fear mongering or even in some instances men of a certain age looking to scapegoat something outside of their own physiology.

If' you're performing when you need to then why worry?

I've experienced no side effects, and my sex drive is in no way diminished.