Creatine fin and dht

Deanomag

Been using finasteride for 6 months now had a few scares with the sides but I feel they was just in my head .. Anyway been thinking of starting creatine again as I like to workout and use weights. From what I’ve read creatine raises dht levels by around 22% after initial higher raises from loading phases which I will skip anyway, creatine doesn’t need to be loaded in this way it’s just as effective at a maintaince dose of 5g per day. 

Being as creatine raises dht would it affect hair loss or even counteract the raise in estrogen ? 

Why would a loading approach to creatine use make any difference? It increases DHT and does so even after prolonged time after your workouts if you stop taking it. Taking it regularly no matter how you break up the doseages will inevitably raise your DHT levels to some extent, most suggesting a 5g maintenence dose will keep it elevated by 20% minimum. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19741313

Taking finasteride and creatine simultaneously is just outright silly.  It's a waste of money that has minimal effects on your gains and strength, has short term benefits that are lost if you stop taking it and will inevitably effect hairloss. Unless you're a professional body builder chances it's not worth taking, 

A loading phase will intially raise dht by a lot more than the standard maintance dose hence me stating it ... 

i don’t see it as silly if the slight raise in dht helps with estridol and inturn doesn’t affect hair loss ... 

• Administrators

I would stay away from creatine, the risk outweighs the reward, it pulls more water in to the muscle. However, you’re not really gaining any actual muscle. Most supplements are a waste of money IMO. Although, creatine is one of the few supplements that work somewhat, it’s not worth additional hair loss. 

Warmest regards- Melvin

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a tough one. Honestly, I was on creatine for years....including a good two years on Fin and Creatine at the same time. I can’t say I ever noticed more hair loss. That being said, I then came across the rugby study on the effect creatine had on DHT and stopped taking creatine. It wasn’t worth the risk in my opinion even though the study that was published only looked at DHT levels for a short period of time.

That being said, creatine definitely gave me something extra in the gym and I definitely looked more muscular on it due to the muscles absorbing water.