Consultation Advice

Hey everyone! Long time reader, first time poster here.

I have two consultations next week with Dr Hasson & Wong offices and with Dr Gabel's office.

I've tried to do my research as best I can, but want to go into the consultations asking precise, direct questions that help me make the best decision in the end.

Was wondering if anyone has advice on the best or most effective questions to ask that help know the doctor, their philosophy and processes, and how they think they would be a good fit.

Feel free to link to any past threads with this exact info as well - thanks in advance!

I have two consultations next week with Dr Hasson & Wong offices and with Dr Gabel's office.

I've tried to do my research as best I can, but want to go into the consultations asking precise, direct questions that help me make the best decision in the end.

Was wondering if anyone has advice on the best or most effective questions to ask that help know the doctor, their philosophy and processes, and how they think they would be a good fit.

Feel free to link to any past threads with this exact info as well - thanks in advance!

Here you go, click the link below

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186854-questions-ask-surgeons.html

What Norwood class are you and are you considering having FUHT or FUE?...just curious...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

What Norwood class are you and are you considering having FUHT or FUE?...just curious...;)

Great question - I am Norwood 3V-4. Been taking Finasteride off and on but have been taking it daily now for about 6 months.

I'm considering both, but leaning towards FUT since it seems to be more efficient and I don't have endless resources if that makes sense.

The one concern I have about FUT is the scar and how I cut my hair. My barber uses a #3 guard on the back/sides - I'll do a search in this forum, but off the top of their head does anyone know at which # guard a scar is usually visible?

Both great surgeons/clinics.

Make sure you have these written down and any other questions you can think of. Also if at all possible take someone with you you trust as your emotions will be running high and its easy to forget to ask the relevant questions.

1.What kind of procedures do you perform does the clinic perform ie. Strip, FUE , BHT - if so for how long and ask to see results and be put in touch with actual patients.

2. What type of donor closure does the hair transplant surgeon use? Does he use sutures or staples, and why does he use his chosen technique?

What type and size of instruments does the hair transplant doctor use to make recipient incisions?

3.What is the length of time that this hair transplant physician has been performing hair transplant surgery?Ask about his credentials and experience and governing bodies he /she are assosiated with.

4. How many hair transplant technicians are employeed with their clinic? What is the length of time each hair technician has worked for the clinic?

5. Ask if you are a good candidate and ask for an explanation to why? Ask to see similar comparisons.

6. What is the state of your donor region and how many grafts does the doc feel can be safely harvested in one session and via multiple surgeries / methods?

7. Gain an estimate of how many grafts you require now and also how many are likely to be required in the futured based on your goal.

8. How good your donor laxity and how you can improve this prior to surgery IF required. can they demonstrate

9. Make sure you discuss YOUR exact goals (hairline, temples, forelock, crown, hair density, hair coverage, etc)

10. Ask how many grafts the doctor will use in your balding area

11.Ask if your goals are reasonable and if they can be met with your hair characterisitcs.

12. Establish how suitable you are for a HT in their opinon.

13. Very importantly ask if you can meet or talk to previous patients in similar circumstances to yourself. Also ask to see testimonials and plenty of photos.

14.Ask about costs involved eg. prices of consults(if applicable), amounts per graft and additional aftercare, medications etc as most clinics vary from some degree and its good to know exactly where you stand!

15. Can I get a reduced fee for short notice surgery? Travel reimbursement?and ask how long their wating list is.

16. Discuss medications such as propecia and finasteride to help prevent further loss. Ask if they can perscribe?

17. Does this hair transplant clinic dissect hair grafts from the strip using a microscope?

18. Ask about post op and pre op instructions. Can you have a list (hardcopy)

19. Can you record the entire consultation? If no, walk out.

20. Have they had any HT surgery? If so who with?

Red flags

"Just had a cancellation and we can see you next week."

Discounts

Special deals

Cold calling by consultants or doctors

No results to show

No patients to speak to or see

Small number of staff

____

Feel free to visit my website: SpexHair

This is amazing - thank you!

Great question - I am Norwood 3V-4. Been taking Finasteride off and on but have been taking it daily now for about 6 months.

I'm considering both, but leaning towards FUT since it seems to be more efficient and I don't have endless resources if that makes sense.

The one concern I have about FUT is the scar and how I cut my hair. My barber uses a #3 guard on the back/sides - I'll do a search in this forum, but off the top of their head does anyone know at which # guard a scar is usually visible?

From my observations, individuals with decent donor density levels can easily hide the scar at number 2 and higher. It's when you get below the number 2 guide that can start to show something, again depending on the person's level of donor zone density levels.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Be sure to ask if you can see some past patient photos that resemble your case or even speak with one via phone or email, that's a good way to gauge what they thought of their experience and you can pick their brain on what they went through and why they selected the particular doctor they did.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016