New to the forum - 30 years old, set on getting an HT (pics)

Hey all - I'm new to the forum and figured I'd introduce myself and welcome any advice on my situation (mods - if I'm posting in the wrong place, apologies in advance).

I'm 30 years old (31 soon) in NYC. Hairline has been receding since age 19 and the top of my head is thinning as well. I've used Minoxodil on and off from the beginning (started with Rogaine, now using Lipogaine daily). Never tried finasteride and would most likely not consider it at this point.

I've toyed around with the idea of an HT for years but have only recently become serious about pursuing one. I'm hitting an inflection point with my hair loss where I need to decide whether to go the buzzcut route or get an HT; the "in-between" is just not working anymore for a single, in-shape and otherwise (except for the hair!) good-looking guy my age. I've tried the buzzcut before and while it looks OK, it doesn't reflect my self-image (I'm a well-built / athletic guy with pale skin and the buzzcut just makes me look too aggressive / unapproachable).

Last year, I discovered Dermatch and Toppik fibers and have been using them with some success on the weekends - they basically allow me to achieve the illusion of a fuller (though still receded) hairline. It's not perfect but it has boosted my confidence when going out and dating. The problem is I don't use these during the week for work (so it sometimes feels like living a "double life") and there are always the usual concerns around whether it is styled perfectly and whether other people are noticing. It's not a long-term solution...

I'm including pictures for context. Here is my hair out of the shower (can clearly see the advanced receding and thinning - not sure of the exact Norwood type):

5b32fa8275c65_Shower1.thumb.jpg.f0b19162d4dd5d095ff0afe0afcd3375.jpg

5b32fa828c5a5_Shower2.thumb.jpg.0985edff62b69c0e42b8f51ccad91301.jpg

This is the regular day-to-day appearance at work (can clearly see the recession). Note the reason I keep my hair this long in the front is because it works better with the Toppik (otherwise I'd cut it much shorter - also part of the problem of living a "double life"):

5b32fa8235e24_Regular1.thumb.jpg.7823a7800828be4bb0c34b66011d39bb.jpg

5b32fa825455f_Regular2.thumb.jpg.346cdf0c1106ee53a323b02b909d9a95.jpg

And this is with Dermatch and Toppik (I like to think it at least hides the thinning):

5b32fa82b5760_Toppik1.thumb.jpg.f1b2c14d3ffe3d89714200c32c3fbdc8.jpg

5b32fa82eaa5d_Toppik2.thumb.jpg.b05d9c6616a533a1634ea85bc71fb22b.jpg

If you guys made it this far, thanks for reading and I'd love to get some feedback:

- Does anyone have a similar case / age / pattern to mine? Would love to connect.

- Any doctors you'd recommend I consult with (esp. those who have good results with cases like mine)?

- What kind of hairline can I realistically expect from an HT?

- How bad will it get down the line if I only use Minoxidil to maintain?

- Any other tips / advice / / next steps to consider

Like I said, I'm based in NYC but am willing to travel. So far, I've done one consultation with a doctor in the NYC metro area and was completely unimpressed (won't name names but he basically rushed me through the process and drew a hairline that I thought was way too low and unrealistic). Cost is not a priority here - my goal is good aesthetics that are appropriate for my age and that I can maintain going forward.

Thanks guys - good to finally get the ball rolling here!

• Administrators

We’re close in age, I’m two years older, you have more hair than I did that’s for sure, what are your expectations? Toppik and dermmatch are great products, it will be hard to replicate the illusion of density created with concealers, if I were you I’d consult with Dr. Bloxham in New York, Dr. Rahal is not to far away and neither is Dr. Shapiro.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

HT thanks for the response. I looked through your thread - congrats on taking the massive action earlier than me! I wish I did this a couple years back and had more of my "prime" years to enjoy but hey better late than never.

My goal is to get the best natural looking hairline possible while keeping enough in reserve for future work. I'm guessing I will need additional future work to fill in the top due to not using fin, but I'm much less worried about density up top and in the crown than I am in the hairline. Like you said in your thread, it's all about balance - hairline is the most important in my mind, the rest I can style and conceal around as needed (same as what you're doing).

What do you think I should be realistically expecting?

Hi, welcome to the forum.

At the moment I would say you are heading for NW4 balding pattern.

The minoxidil use may have made a small change but your reluctance to try Finasteride may well have let your hairloss freely digress.

I can see how you have reached the point of making that all important decision having been there myself a few years prior. I can see how you feel the buzz cut just wouldn't suit the person you are. You may well get used to it but hopefully for you there is an alternative.

Again, like myself your use of fibres has allowed you to put the hairloss situation on hold but now it looks like you are running out of hairs for the fibres to attach to and I can see how you also maybe feeling somewhat exposed, almost waiting to be foiled by the fibre look!

I think you should also upload clear pictures of your donor area at the back of your scalp so we know approximately how many grafts we have to play with.

You should be looking at an age appropriate hairline possibly 4-5 finger widths above the brow. You have quite a high forehead, don't be tempted to waste precious grafts on getting caught in a lowering your hairline quagmire! With your level of balding you will need to use all your grafts sparingly. Your temple points are not too bad, maybe just a bit of pointing in that area.

I would recommend 3500 - 4000 grafts to rebuild your hairline, fill your mid scalp and temples and a small redefining of your temple points.

Once grown out you should be able to walk into any room as a guy with hair, not a guy who is balding or is growing an extension to his forehead. You still have the option of using fibres to occasionally recreate the look of adolescence.

Down the line, you should expect your native hair to continue to recede, a good indicator of how far will be the hairlines of your immediate elderly relatives. You can most probably prevent this through Finasteride use but speaking from my own experience I seriously doubt whether Minoxidil will make much of a difference.

Other things you could do are health related, be they physical or mental.

Depending on your donor area there is the possibility of further procedures with the options of adding chest and beard hair to compensate for lack of scalp donor.

I hope that helps you plan your next move.

• Administrators
HT thanks for the response. I looked through your thread - congrats on taking the massive action earlier than me! I wish I did this a couple years back and had more of my "prime" years to enjoy but hey better late than never.

My goal is to get the best natural looking hairline possible while keeping enough in reserve for future work. I'm guessing I will need additional future work to fill in the top due to not using fin, but I'm much less worried about density up top and in the crown than I am in the hairline. Like you said in your thread, it's all about balance - hairline is the most important in my mind, the rest I can style and conceal around as needed (same as what you're doing).

What do you think I should be realistically expecting?

Well you sound like you’re very reasonable, you can definitely have a good hairline, I wouldn’t try and lower it to much, I’d opt for starting point to be a third from your eye brows, then I’d slowly recede back at the corners, this will save you precious grafts and will still look good if dense. I’m glad you’re open to the idea of concealing the rest, as I feel this is the best option for those of us who have advanced hair loss, build a foundation hairline, midscalp and lightly hit the crown, this way when you use toppik or dermmatch you’ll look amazing, and even when you don’t have it on you’ll have good enough of a foundation that most wouldn’t notice. You’re still young, so you shouldn’t worry, I’m living the best years of my life now at 32, so trust me you’re still young and have a long time to enjoy hair.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Shera - thanks a lot for the response. Sounds like you know exactly what situation I'm in.

I'm including donor pics here:

5b32fab08b39d_Donor1.thumb.jpg.a93ad955b6966702bc9301a6ee065985.jpg

5b32fab0a0bbd_Donor2.thumb.jpg.d18aaaf6f21ca0420495ef12f2cad6ee.jpg

5b32fab0cd17e_Donor3.thumb.jpg.9f440c4d825d31b3872c500de4f2df56.jpg

5b32fab102853_Donor4.thumb.jpg.ac4b176cf3ae269b765896eb88611633.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Also - what do you guys think about FUT vs. FUE for my situation? I do like to keep my hair pretty short on the sides (like in the photos) which would lend itself better to FUE but, again, creating a good hairline while keeping enough of a donor reserve is the more important goal.

Also - as always, any advice would be appreciated on which doctors would be best to consult with for my particular case!

It is a huge risk. Not as straightforward. Im nearly destroyed cuz of it and waiting for a proper resolution.

I would advise against FUE unless the doctor does test sessions, does the extractions themselves, and does it manually which means wothout a motorized tool.

Youll notice some folks giving advice saying its not the tool as it is mostly the doctor. Thats horseshit as both factors are something to consider.

FUT, may be the safer option, but it depends who you go to or if the clinic you go to does multiple surgeries a day.

Proceed carefully, you do mot realize how many screwed up surgeries happen as folks contact you behind the scenes if something goes downhill for you. Forums mostly display the sweet profitable things. You just have to be careful.

If your in new york, i dont mind showing my scalp in person to show you. Dont get swayed by any marketer. I am in such a bad state right now and would definitely not want anyone to be in this situation.

Shera - thanks a lot for the response. Sounds like you know exactly what situation I'm in.

I'm including donor pics here:

[ATTACH]121182[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]121183[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]121184[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]121185[/ATTACH]

Let me know what you think.

Also - what do you guys think about FUT vs. FUE for my situation? I do like to keep my hair pretty short on the sides (like in the photos) which would lend itself better to FUE but, again, creating a good hairline while keeping enough of a donor reserve is the more important goal.

Also - as always, any advice would be appreciated on which doctors would be best to consult with for my particular case!

Hi, I've had a good look at your donor pics, they aren't that clear but in the 3rd picture it does appear that with FUE you could get about 2500 - 3000 scalp grafts without over harvesting your donor. Obviously you will need to provide clearer pics to your chosen clinic once you decide to get the ball rolling.

You could get a possible further 500 or so from the beard shadow area and possibly the same from the chest to throw into the mix.

That's a possible 4000 grafts which should make a great aesthetic change to your appearance if the growth is successful.

You will have the option of a top up surgery of approximately 50% of the grafts harvested in the first surgery about a year down the line to improve the density or top up further areas of recession not touched upon during the first surgery.

There should be very little or no visible scarring to the naked eye if you go to an ethical surgeon.

With FUT it is possible for you to have a similar number of grafts but it is more invasive and recovery is more paramount. There is always the risk of the linear scar expanding and being visible but again going to a reputable surgeon will reduce the odds somewhat of this happening. There are many surgeries documented on this site where the linear scar is hardly visible but I have also seen many patients where it is quite horrific and a further FUE/SMP is required to help disguise it.

If you wish to consult with doctors then the interactive map on this very site of recommended surgeons is your first stop. There are other doctors that are recommended by other hair loss sites too.

Of course if you wish to consult with my doctor, Dr Bhatti, then feel free to contact me too.