Is anyone really informed about finasteride & prostate cancer?

justgotfue

Hi,

So I'm wondering if anyone on this forum is particularly informed abut prostate cancer ad finasteride?

I've read this article which states a 68% greater chance of having high grade prostate cancer if on finasteride: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/brady-urology-institute/specialties/conditions-and-treatments/prostate-cancer/prostate-cancer-questions/finasteride-are-the-risks-worth-it

This seems like way too much of an increase. I read another article stating 3.5% of finasteride patients developed high grade prostate cancer compared to 3% of placebo takers : https://www.cancer.gov/types/prostate/research/finasteride-reduces-low-grade

but i'm also cautious about just believing anything from the internet, although this does look like a proper scientific study.

Does anyone have any reputable information to share?

Also, does anyone know if the risk of prostate cancer stops once you stop taking finasteride? I'm in my late 30s so not really considered at risk, but maybe if I stopped in my late 50s, would I have already done the damage, or would the risk become as though I had never taken finasteride?

Thanks

I'm not sure about this, tbh. I just read both the links - thanks for sharing. Really must be the main concern of anyone taking propecia, imo. Would be great if someone on here is a doctor and can give their opinion, or from a regular board member who has really looked into this issue.

My understanding is:

- FIN reduces the risk for prostate cancer

- However, detection of prostate cancer is more difficult

- Hence, risk for more severe cancer increases

As a result you should let your physician know that you take FIN when you go for a test.

• Administrators

Initially, finasteride was thought to be used as a preventative medication for prostate cancer, after studies it was shown to be inconclusive, therefore finasteride does not reduce the risk of prostate cancer, finasteride however does lower your PSA (prostate specific antigen) this is the test used to detect prostate cancer early, in addition, contrary to popular belief prostate cancer is not fueled by DHT it is fueled by testosterone, finasteride does not reduce testosterone so there’s no reducing the risk of cancer with finasteride, it will only make it more difficult to detect.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.