need some cold hard truths

Hey guys, here is a quick summary of my hair situation . About 3 years ago my nice thick hair started to go quickly after I stopped using rogain and it never came back.. I am 30 now and going to get married in 11 months . I have been on finasteride for the past 6 months without any changes which I guess it’s what it’s meant for but I was hoping for a bit more of a change with the drug. I am now considering a transplant and want to get some insight/opinions before I go see a surgeon .

Expectations on density in the front

Total hairs/grafts needed estimates

Cost in Texas?

Fue or fut for my hair type.

I almost hope I would of started balding evenly but it is mostly concentrated on my left side. The sides are supppper thick since birth. here are some pics or before the curse and now .. feel free to comment/ insult

8DB3BEE6-315C-4B43-AE2A-C31DADD93B26.jpeg.d890af4ee1ed2c83bdd60652e356098a.jpeg

8CA26C76-A584-463D-B4B3-26A5883A23A2.thumb.jpg.ca88af7fc68dafd49c208423ec8c74d1.jpg

3DBD4BF9-C23A-4C44-809D-F6CC097CF7F7.thumb.jpg.9c62763c8bda35ce62abc8bfe777c450.jpg

ABBA1700-41AD-4667-ADC7-D8AD9DE15967.thumb.jpg.21e66094bc242cd5cdb2dd3b220a5418.jpg

You've not shared any photos of your donor region so it is difficult to say what is possible for you, in the short term and the long term. The donor area determines everything because if you don't have enough donor hair to accomplish your goals then you shouldn't even try.

I agree with Spex that about 2500 to 3000 grafts would be a solid estimate to keep in mind but then you do have to figure out if you prefer to have a strip procedure (FUT) or an FUE procedure. Given that you have a shaved head now, and I assume you've got a military background based on your username and like a buzz cut, FUE may be the better option, but this is between you and your doctor. In addition to your surgical option for the frontal zone there is also the option of PRP with ACell for the mid-scalp and crown as this has been shown to help above and beyond what Rogaine and finasteride can accomplish.

Since you are in Texas, it is only logical to consider Dr. Arocha. He's based in Houston but routinely conducts consultations in Dallas and Austin and is starting to travel to San Antonio as well. You should contact our office for a no obligation consultation. 713-526-4247.

Online representative for Dr. Bernard Arocha

Learn more about Hair Transplants in Texas!

It will be interesting to see what your available donor density is.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I'm glad you posted a shot of your donor. I think you possibly have some thinning in that area and the density is below average.

With 11 months to go before your wedding, I question whether it's a good idea to go ahead with a procedure at this time.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Good news, you look good with a shaved head, god gave you a nice shaped cranium ;)

Further good news, if you stay on finasteride there's a good chance you don't lose any more hair.

Even more good news, your hair loss pattern looks like it could benefit cosmetically from a restoration procedure (depending upon your donor availability).

I live in Texas too, had not dissimilar hair loss to your own, went out of state for my procedures, so don't let geography be the final factor as it is worth it to travel.

I flew from Austin to Portland twice and my only regret is that I didn't go for all 3 of mine.

Feel free to PM me as a fellow Texan in your age range about any questions you have in your hair loss journey, I get what you're going through.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

All positive news!...;)

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Totally agree that aesthetically you can pull off the buzz cut really well, so at the very least there's that to be thankful for. You also seem to be a good candidate for a hair transplant should you decide to go that route... My biggest concern is what Matt mentioned in that you're wedding is just 11 months away, so it doesn't allow you much time to do some solid research, pick a surgeon, wait however long you need to wait for an appointment, and then let all the hair grow back in. It's a long process that from start to finish can take quite a bit longer than 11 months.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

TexasSoldier, research well. Be very careful. This procedure isn’t as straightforward as you may think. Lots of factors. Last thing you want is to be a repair patient or worse at any time, especially photo time. I haven’t had proper photos with family for quite some time now. Do not even attend gatherings or events. Everything is just at a pause. I do not know if you are in the military, as your username indicates, but I was and would urge great caution. Wish you the best in whatever you decide.

With 11 months to go before your wedding, I question whether it's a good idea to go ahead with a procedure at this time.

I agree....even if you went in today for surgery the wedding date would be too close for me. If I were you I would go see Dr. Arocha and discuss the issue. Plus Dr. Arocha now offers SMP. At your youthful age and the look you already have, I think SMP would really compliment you and this could easily be done a few months out from your wedding. Plus donor availability is no issue with SMP and it's much less expensive.Then if you want...get the transplant later after the wedding when the healing and re-growth period has no important deadline.

http://arochahairrestoration.com/treatments/scalp-micropigmentation-tricopigmentation-hair-tattoo/

Edited by Shampoo

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I for one would not recommend doing SMP before having some level of density done with a HT procedure.

Like anything else, SMP does not look the same on everyone and while it can help take the shine off a bald scalp, the ink can potentially be noticeable and once it's there, it's there. And if you have a wide color contrast, the ink may be more obvious to the naked eye.

I have always observed that SMP helps the most, visually speaking, to compliment low density coverage, and the ink dots not being the primary illusion of coverage.

Gillenator

I'm confused....isn't most SMP work done on bald guys that want the buzzed look and that do not get hair transplants? So are you saying you think SMP is not a good treatment over-all for anyone unless it is done on people that have hair?

Also you state "once the ink is there it's there". I was under the impression that SMP is not really permanent and fades with time....needing re-treatment and touchups.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Shampoo for your kind words and support to the HTN community! SMP is not the same at all providers. We are a BeautyMedical trained facility, employing only BeautyMedical equipment and natural organic pigments. As such, these pigments are metabolized at different rates by different individuals. Hence, you are correct that it will need some maintenance. This is a good thing because if you do not like it, it will eventually fade unlike the permanent inks which may need lasering.

Online representative for Dr. Bernard Arocha

Learn more about Hair Transplants in Texas!

Texas Soldier,

I agree with our members above...Dr. Arocha is highly recommended and is a member of our Coalition. He has a proven track record of producing outstanding results. I wouldn't hesitate to consult with him. It's also true that you look good bald. Some people (like me) simply don't. I'll never forget being broken up with by a girl I was dating when I shaved my head freshman year in high school for a swimming event. From that point on, I knew how bad I looked with a shaved head and grew my hair out long. Girls loved my hair. When I started going bald, I was devastated...until I found this community and met with a recommended doctor. A few years later, I became the managing publisher of this community and worked directly with the publisher Pat to prescreen and recommend only the best doctors and innovate this community to help more patients find us and our excellent doctors.

You've definitely come to the right place and I trust you'll find all the information you're looking for here.

Best wishes,

Bill