In Shock after reading Bosley Bad HT

I just recently read that poor mans post about how Bosley hacked him up in Chicago 8 years ago. It makes me wonder about HT's in general. Is that the way most HT's are? I guess what im asking is what are the downsides to getting a hair transplant? Im decided on getting a HT but after reading that post it makes me wonder if i should even take a chance. Im looking to go with Dr. Rahal, can any of you gentlemen tell me your downsides to your HT'S or are you guys completely happy?

DevilDog,

In a word, I would say "no:" based at least on perusing posts on this site, most people have results that they deem good, if not great. I've had two procedures myself, and am happy with both -- as of this moment, I am about 4.5 months into my second procedure's growth.

That said, I think that much of the outcome depends on thorough research...and to that end, I don't have any knowledge of Dr. Rahal, but am sure you'll find answers here. I've found this forum to be extremely helpful.

Benjamin

Devildog,

Forums like this are a great way for patients to communicate and "out" scams like laser, and discuss the pros and cons of larger production line clinics.

But remember a couple of things:

1. Great results don't always equate to happiness and sometimes mediocre results do give great happiness.

2. IF you do enough of anything, whether it is hair transplants, or making paper airplanes for your kids, at some point you will have an unhappy customer/patient; and that may or may not correspond with an unsatisfactory result.

3. Unhappy folks are a lot more motivated to post than happy ones. Some of the large clinics have a bad reputation, sometimes deserved, sometimes not.

So use this forum for education and discussion. It is likely that if you hear consistent good or bad things about something, that there is some truth in it. If you hear most people thinking one way and only one or 2 thinking the opposite, it is harder to tell.

Good luck.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 4 weeks later...

lookingforsolution,

I respectfully disagree with your position on 2 counts. First I genuinely believe that unhappy people are far more likely to post than happy people, who had the same transaction--whether it is hair, facelifts, buying a specific car, or seeing a concert that had been hyped up. Our professional society (AAFPRS I believe) also had a panel discussion on internet applications and this topic was discussed by the panelists.

And secondly, I repectfully disagree with your reference that I "know it" and posted the contrary. I am a pretty frank guy as is evident by my posts and the posts of some of our patients.

You and I can certainly disagree on whether or not happy/unhappy posters are louder or more likely to post. I don't think that I am wrong but I sure could be.

But don't accuse me of posting an opinion contrary to what I believe please.

Even this volley back and forth between you and me is a fine product of the open communication and education that this forum allows.

Good day.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I totally agree with Dr Lindsey. For sure it is normally unhappy customers who make their thoughts and opinions known.

For example, the reason that you first choose to undergo a HT, (or buy a car, choose a holiday etc. etc), is that you have expectations. You would never embark upon any of these scenarios without having a goal. If this goal is then reached, you are a happy customer, but why would you feel the need to rave about it, after all, it is only what you expected in the first place. You have paid for it, perhaps thinking therefore that you deserve that outcome.

On the other hand, if you part with a large sum of money for whatever it may be, and in your eyes the results are not as expected/presumed, then you would feel very agreived and would like to let others know your feelings.

It just shows that we owe a lot to those patients who have undergone surgeries and have potentially moved on from this issue in their lives, but still find the time to post results and leave positive feedback regarding their procedure and Dr, in the knowledge that it will genuinely help another.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Dr Lindsey...I disagree with your comment that unhappy folks are more motivated to post than happy ones. I think the contrary happens and you probably know it!

I also agree with dr. Lindsey. It is not even a subject of discussion, if one is slightly knowledgeable about social psychology.

I read somewhere that a happy customer will talk to 3 persons, while an unhappy one will talk to 17 persons.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Hair transplant industry is alot different than most industries. In many cases you never see the patient again, sometimes it doesn't matter how often you email them they do not respond. I had one italian guy I met recieved 7000 grafts. I emailed him out of curiousity to see how his result when for one year, finally last month he emailed me back and told me he is so happy with his result. The email he had was only for when he was researching hair transplant but after asking him he would not email me any pictures he said he has moved on.

Although you hear about the bad case there are people out there that feel embarassed and ashamed at there results and will never post while others have great results and post. Its really hard to figure out. I have met patients coming from europe to get a transplant that were content with their results from europe even though they screams hair transplant from 30 feet away and others that looked great but wanted more.

I read somewhere that a happy customer will talk to 3 persons, while an unhappy one will talk to 17 persons.

Since alot of people do not like people knowing then at the end this is not correct. Sometimes a happy person tells everyone while an unhappy person tells nobody about the transplant.

Great results don't always equate to happiness and sometimes mediocre results do give great happiness

I totally agree with Dr. Lindsey here, sometimes I think there should be a mental exam done on a patient icon_wink.gif before surgery is done. A hair transplant only changes a physical appearance and although sometimes give you a better state of mentality, its doesn;t always work for everybody that way. I have met people that have spend two years not going out because of small hairloss.

I always say if a stupid classless ignorant poor person all of the sudden becomes rich you get a stupid classless ignorant rich person.

Just my opinion...........

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Dr Lindsey. I said you PROBABLY know it. If now you say "you don't know it" then, I have no reason to disbelieve you.

However,let's respectfully agree to disagree here. People who get good results and happy usually are willing to share their happiness and success with others. People who fail are usually not willing to tell others that they are "LOSERS". Besides, people who get bad HT blame themselves, they may blame themselves for choosing the wrong doctor or making the irreversible decision to have a HT in the first place or even comparing their own poor results to the photos the doctor has for other patients on his/her website (lighting plays a great factor in the photos). They also do not want to seem or labeled as disgruntled people who are bring negativity to this forum. Some people will be so upset to even discuss it with their closed family and friends. A happy person would like the whole world to hear his/her success and how that person managed to achieve good results.

Dear Looking for Solution .The only way I can add to this forum is by letting you know my expieriences from a scam clinic .

I did not blame myself, I exposed the clinic on this site in the hope that others would not go there , I hope that my post reached thousands of people therefore saving them from getting , ripped off and lied to I certainly do not regard myself as a loser . I think it would be fair to say that a good transplant speaks for itself therefore the patient wouldnt need to tell anybody as the results speak for themselves .

My advice to you at this moment in time would be to not have any Transplants done untill you can satisfy yourself as to your expectations as they may well be unrealistic .

I dont think sites like this label anybody and I dont consider myself to be disgruntled , I joined this site to warn others of my expierences not mistakes ! therefore hopefully reaching thousands of people to make a more informed decision about hairtransplants , I felt this as some of duty to others considering HT . If I had had a great result , I probably would not of found this site and assumed all Clinics and Doctors were honest and capable of delivering great results which is not the case , and My Friends and family would of said things like " you look good " or " you look younger " however the need to shout out " Yes I have had a Hairtransplant " would of not been my response . So in answer to your question I hope to of told thousands of people about my bad expierience and not hid away . I think your post is unanswerable as it in many ways points to each and every person who has had a transplant and tries to gauge what there behaviour / reaction would be , this of course is impossible to answer therefore I can only reply to you from my own expieriences and how I dealt with things .

I sincerly hope this helps you

Regards

EJ

lokingforsolution:

I respect your opinion and understand your position.

Thanks for clarifying about the disbelief issue. One of the problems of email/blogging as opposed to face to face discussions is that a reader can totally misinterpret the tone of the poster.

Thanks

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA