New 5% Tax starting January 2010?

Hi All,

Have you all heard of the new 5% "Cosmetic Tax" that will be in place January 1st, 2010?

Hair Transplants fall under "Cosmetic Procedures"

What if we pay a Doctor this month (December) and have the procedure in January or February? Is this a way to get out of paying the Tax?

Will Hair Surgeons lose business?

What do think about the whole thing?

That is a PROPOSED tax that Democrats have inserted into the Health Care Bill.

NOTHING has been officially passed.

Senate Bill Would Tax Cosmetic Surgery

By Janet Adamy

Say hello to the nose job tax.

To raise money for the health overhaul, Democrats are proposing a new 5% tax on elective cosmetic procedures. The tax was a surprise addition to the sweeping 2,074-page bill that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid unveiled late Wednesday. It generates $5 billion over a decade for the plan, which is expected to cost $849 billion over a decade.

The tax would fall on the individuals who undergo the procedures. If they don't pay it when they're billed for their surgery, then it falls to the provider who performed the procedure.

Not all cosmetic surgeries would get taxed. According to the bill, the tax would only apply if the surgery 'is not necessary to ameliorate a deformity arising from, or directly related to, a congenital abnormality, a personal injury resulting from an accident or trauma, or disfiguring disease.' It would take effect Jan. 1.

So what do plastic surgeons think of this? We called the American Society of Plastic Surgeons three times Wednesday night. The line was busy each time.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/...ax-cosmetic-surgery/

-

1st Transplant: 5,485 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

2nd Transplant: 3,100 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

3rd Transplant: 5,035 grafts with Dr Sanusi Umar

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Wong

10%?!? Sheesh. And make no mistake, that's coming out of the consumer's pocket. So a 10K procedure now will end up being 11K if this thing passes.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I think one could argue that hairloss is not actually "cosmetic"....rather, a repair of a defect....like a person who is born without a finder or a cleft palate....we are born with a genetic predisposition to baldness.

Interesting.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

im guessing this is just a USA/Canada thing, if this does happen its gonna put some guys off going to the US/CANADA and maybe sticking to europe and as far as TAX etc. goes if your paying cash im sure youl get away with not having to pay it.

Dr A. Armani 2500 Fue

Dec 2008

Proscar X1 Day

Monixodil X2 Day

Msm Daily

Originally posted by TheEmperor:

Can the USA tax money spent in Canada?

In Canada, they already have a 5% tax on HT surgeries. To the best of my knowledge, the Canadian HT doctors charge a 5% GST (or maybe more, depending on the province) on all HT procedures. Someone from Canada correct me if I am wrong.