Pro's and Con's FUT and FUE explained by Dr. Diep

• Administrators

There has been a lot of talk lately about FUT and FUE as there was 2 years ago in 2015. Here is a video of Dr. Diep explaining the pro's and con's for both FUT and FUE. Ive had two procedures with Dr. Diep I found him to be truly unbiased, when listening to what a doctor/clinic has to say, the first thing one should look for is video documentation, any clinic can claim to perform both surgeries, but if all they show is their results for one procedure then that should make you question the validity of their claims. Dr. Diep has a lengthy collection of results on YouTube for FUE and FUT, I myself have done FUE with him and have my results published on this site and YouTube.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

There has been a lot of talk lately about FUT and FUE as there was 2 years ago in 2015. Here is a video of Dr. Diep explaining the pro's and con's for both FUT and FUE. Ive had two procedures with Dr. Diep I found him to be truly unbiased, when listening to what a doctor/clinic has to say, the first thing one should look for is video documentation, any clinic can claim to perform both surgeries, but if all they show is their results for one procedure then that should make you question the validity of their claims. Dr. Diep has a lengthy collection of results on YouTube for FUE and FUT, I myself have done FUE with him and have my results published on this site and YouTube.

0:44 - "FUT tends to be for more advanced hair loss ".

Correct.

Dr. Feller,

He said he does maximum of 2500 grafts per day (FUE). Other doctors perform similar number of grafts per day with FUE but they can also do 2 subsequent days and transplant 5000 grafts in 2 days, making it a virtually one procedure as far as the patient is concerned. Dr. Erdogan does just that. He transplants up to 3000 grafts per day but can do 5000 grafts in 2 consecutive days.

0:44 - "FUT tends to be for more advanced hair loss ".

Correct.

1:36 - "Percent of growth rate is almost identical..."

1st Procedure, Oct. 2012 - 1,704 grafts FUT w/Dr. True

2nd Procedure, Sept. 2015 - 2500 grafts FUE w/Dr. Vories

FUE Progress - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/180966-my-experience-w-dr-vories-2-500-grafts.html

FUE 1 year result - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/184716-1-year-results-2-500-grafts-w-dr-vories.html

1:36 - "Percent of growth rate is almost identical..."

Actually, in another recent YouTube video Dr. Diep wrote a very honest and interesting description concerning this issue. In it, he states that FUE yield can be up to 15% lower than that of FUT (with the range being 5-15% lower -- though he does not elaborate as to whether or not he can tell who this will happen to beforehand) and states that this is caused by greater trauma to the grafts. Hosting below:

2w56obc.jpg

Good to hear his opinion on it.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Actually, in another recent YouTube video Dr. Diep wrote a very honest and interesting description concerning this issue. In it, he states that FUE yield can be up to 15% lower than that of FUT (with the range being 5-15% lower -- though he does not elaborate as to whether or not he can tell who this will happen to beforehand) and states that this is caused by greater trauma to the grafts. Hosting below:

2w56obc.jpg

Good to hear his opinion on it.

Oh my.

xgz9nkR.gif.0373b1b9dd689f5192acc52b4f70e859.gif

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I really don't know where I stand on it for others, just where I stand on it for me. I do think there are guys where its good. A guy in his 50s with this loss is good to go though.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Fue gives option of buzzing down with less notice of scar if further hair loss occurs but i can see the argument that fut gives more growth and causes less damage to donor like one strip you could get about 2500 grafts or more and the same amount fue you would go all over the donor area but one thing maybe fue it gives more of a chance to select the healthy hairs for transplant.

Each case is different...just deciding and asking the doc

1. maybe fue it gives more of a chance to select the healthy hairs for transplant.

2. Each case is different...just deciding and asking the doc

1. Anyone can correct me, but strip is typically taken from the "classic safe zone" (if done correctly), FUE is taken from a wider area. With FUE you may (there is a discussion about that) cherry pick particular types of grafts e. g. singles or multies, but in terms of non-DHT affected (=helathy) the FUT grafts should do better.

2. This is the problem: Ask 3 clincis, and you receive 3 opinions. Even class A clinics have different opnions. That is why you have to take time and study yourself as well and then have a decision with (!) your clinic of choice.