Where To Begin?

ClarkKent77

Hello there, everyone.

I'm new to the forum. I'm a 36-year-old male, and I have diffuse thinning. I first noticed that my hair was thinning when I was 29. I was taking roaccutane at the same time. Not sure if that had anything to do with it. Back then, my hair was short and spiky, so I grew it a bit longer. Subsequently, you couldn't really notice the thinning.

It didn't seem to change for years, but last October I noticed that the thinning was becoming more noticeable. At the moment, I don't think any of my friends or family would say that I am losing my hair, but to me it is very obvious (especially when it is wet or if I stand under certain light). I can still "hide" it for now, but I am becoming increasingly concerned, and I have come here for some guidance.

I have been to my GP for blood tests. They didn't uncover anything, but I read that it might be a good idea to visit a trichologist to get more tests on my thyroid.

I went to see my dermatologist a while back, and the person I saw was extremely dismissive and unhelpful. I'm going to see a different dermatologist soon.

I have been to three hair clinics in Scotland, including The Glasgow Clinic. All three said that it was too early for a transplant (not that I would consider one at the moment), but I just wanted to do some research. .

I also contacted Spencer, as well as forum member Chris Davies, both of whom were decent enough to offer some advice.

Spencer advised me to start finestride. Part of me wants to, but I'm concerned about side effects. As I said, my thinning isn't quite noticeable yet, so I'm anxious that any shedding might push the thinning from not-noticeable to noticeable.

I know that some of you will say that this is foolish, and part of me agrees.

In the meantime, I am looking at some other options:

Revita Shampoo

Nizoral Shampoo

Biotin Shampoo

Nettle Root Supplement

Grow Me Shampoo

DHT Blocker tablets from Watermans

Any thoughts?

Your best bet is finasteride. Full stop.

The rest IMO is just "garnish" at best. It may somewhat compliment the entree, but on its own, it's not really helpful. If fin pushes you into a shed, it won't be anything that wouldn't be an issue in a few years, and you'll never have more natural hair than you do now, so keep what you have as best you can.

I have probably seen a hundred guys on the forum lament about having wished they had started fin earlier.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Yes, I do think it's worthwhile starting Finasteride, even if just for a trial run. Might be a good idea to start taking it once or twice a week rather than daily, to see how your body reacts.

I'm curious what the DHT blockers from Watermans are. Are they just an over-the-counter herbal thing?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks, Matt.

If / when I do start Finestride, I would probably do just that.

I don't know much (read: anything) about the Watermans DHT blockers. I saw them on Amazon, and I wondered if they would be worthwhile.

I would send the link, but I think we're not supposed to do that sort of thing on this forum?

I have been to three hair clinics in Scotland, including The Glasgow Clinic. All three said that it was too early for a transplant

At least they were ethical and honest. Some would wave you right into the chair.

I think diffuse thinning can be a challenge in that it usually covers a large area (vs. say just the crown or just the hairline thinning) and predicting when and if it all goes. So maybe that's why the clinics want you to wait until the pattern is more defined.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Yes, it's definitely to their credit that the clinics told you you weren't a suitable candidate.

I googled Waterman's. While their products might very well be worthwhile and I have no opinion for or against what they're offering, you have a much better chance by trying Finasteride.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I wouldn't waste your money seeing a trichologist or dermatologist. Given you have diffuse hair loss you will just have genetic hair loss like lots of us do. The only thing that may stop loss is Finasteride. Monoxidil may help. If your GP has checked your thyroid blood tests then there's no need to have further thyroid tests done, that won't help, your TSH and T4 would have been normal on your GPs tests and that's all that is needed to determine the thyroid is functioning fine.

First off a tricologist is not going to test your thyroid your dr has reassured you there is no problem, my advice is get on fin asap if you want to keep what you have, I did and I'm nearly 33 and still have a good amount of hair I feel if I didn't take fin when I did I'd be bald by now. Discuss with your gp if it's right for you all the best

Thanks for the advice, Hairsgone and Djlazerblue.

I'm currently looking into finestride, but I have two concerns:

1) Shedding

2) ED and sperm-related side effects, since my wife and I are looking to have a kid in the near future.

Thanks for the advice, Hairsgone and Djlazerblue.

I'm currently looking into finestride, but I have two concerns:

1) Shedding

2) ED and sperm-related side effects, since my wife and I are looking to have a kid in the near future.

sheeding i didnt experience, trying for a kid id deffo seek gp advice as i hear it can cause problems

Read this and also speak to your Doctor

https://mothertobaby.org/fact-sheets/finasteride/

Gasthoerer,

Glad to hear that fin worked for you!

The cynical side of me says that we will never see a cure or a 100% effective treatment with no side effects, but the optimistic side can't help but hope for one.

Gasthoerer,

Glad to hear that fin worked for you!

The cynical side of me says that we will never see a cure or a 100% effective treatment with no side effects, but the optimistic side can't help but hope for one.

Well, my estimate of 2030 shows, that I am not positive about anything new as well :-(

Honestly speaking, I am thinking about Dut to see ,if it gives me some regrowth in the crown. If I can close the crown I need just a minor tweek in the front and I am fine.

Good luck with the Due.

Do you know if many people have had regrowth with it?

No, unfortunately the studies are thin. But I have read some studies which indicate that, not only DUT grows more hair, but there is also an increase in diameter. That would be my main hope.

I have a very unorthodox DPA with many "semi velus" hairs. If DUT changes them to terminal hair I would be a NW 1.5.