Stabilize hair loss before HT?

Hello everyone,

LONG time lurker here. Im looking for HT procedure in a next few months. I have planned this for two years now and suffered from hair loss for a good 10 years.

Now when HT is coming closer and closer, im starting to get bit cold feet which I guess is normal :rolleyes: I have read that HT is generally suitable for people with "stabilized" hair loss. Could someone please elobarate what that means in real world?

I have also attached comparison picture of my hair situation. Left one is taken in March 2017 and right one in 2012 before any treatments. I have been using Rogaine 1x day and Nizoral 2% 2 times pre week. Would you say my hair loss could be considered stabilized?

I have also started now propecia 0,25 mg per day just be on the safe side after procedure.

Enlight4.thumb.jpg.3bdf613778521a70dd1e914b75920b56.jpg

Realistically, stabilized means your hair loss has been either halted or slowed down to such a gradual pace you hardly notice it any longer.

You need to stay on finasteride at least six months, ideally a year, to reap the full benefits and gauge if it is working for you.

At that time you can assess your hair loss status against current pictures, if there's improvement or no further discernible loss, you can consider yourself stable.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Realistically, stabilized means your hair loss has been either halted or slowed down to such a gradual pace you hardly notice it any longer.

You need to stay on finasteride at least six months, ideally a year, to reap the full benefits and gauge if it is working for you.

At that time you can assess your hair loss status against current pictures, if there's improvement or no further discernible loss, you can consider yourself stable.

Silly comment, He's arguably lost no ground (hard to tell with different hair lengths) in 5 years and is NOW on finasteride, it's safe to say that he has "stabilised" in a realistic sense.

The truth is that hair loss is never 100% set in stone stabilised. Plenty of people have held the fort for a decade and suddenly gone backwards. Hair transplants are stealing back a few years, make the best effort to stabilise you can, and beyond that simply be aware that you end up getting more transplants in the future. It's up to yourself and a doctor to decide what is a longer term plan for your hair loss, but the fact is that if you have male pattern baldness, eventually the hair will fall out, and you'll probably want those extra transplants.

Although I do agree that there does not appear to be difference in the 2 photos provided, that does not imply he has stabilized. I opened both photos into much larger frames and the entire top of the scalp is diffusing. In photo 2, it appears that there is slightly more diffusion going on, but hard to say since the difference in lighting can play tricks on the eye.

Also, since the entire top of the scalp is diffusing, there is potential for everything on top to go in a matter of time. So I agree with Speegs in that if he responds favorably to finasteride, he could move forward with more confidence.

But in the event he does not, he always has the choice to just buzz his scalp and do nothing in terms of having anything done surgically.

He looks to be young in the pics, so there are a lot of years in the future to deal with further loss. And just because there is not much difference in the 2 photos, that does not mean it will continue that way in the future.

If it were me, I would at least wait it out another 9 months or so to see how things go with finasteride.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks for your answer guys. I have used finasteride along with rogaine foam 4 years ago for a short time but I had to quit due to health problems (unrelated to finasteride). I documented my progress with big 3 and I responded to treatment extremely well in a very short time. I can upload pictures of progress if someone is interested in to see them.

Im 32 yo so not too young but not too old. I think I am in difficult position regarding to HT. I could have nice head of hair for "prime" time of my life but on the other hand you never know the future loss and therefore there is always a risk. Im also content with buzz cut ( I really like no guard buzz cut with a nice hairline) but I also like medium length hair (I think it matches the best with my personality and identity if you know what I mean).

Then you have options which is nice. Never a good idea to rush into a HT. It pays to be well informed and you will know if and when you will want the procedure done.

Meantime, you can always buzz your hair as you stated and continue to research and learn as much as possible....;)

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Kudos!....;)

Gillenator

As others have said, I don't see a big difference between the two photos that can't be accounted for in the slightly different hair lengths and lighting conditions.

Do you actually have a procedure booked or is it just something on your to-do list for the future?

Remember that upon starting Finasteride, there can be things such as shedding that could effect your hair density at the time of your procedure.

If you're happy with your appearance with a shaved head, ask yourself if a procedure is actually necessary.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I would wait a bit longer as well and see how you respond to the finasteride. Also, it could be helpful to meet with a surgeon for a "no strings attached" evaluation just to get their input on your situation. They can test the miniaturization levels of your hair, evaluate your donor supply, etc. Then you'll have even more information in your arsenal to make a well-informed decision about how to proceed.

You've been extremely patient and handling this the right way for so long. So even though I'm sure you're starting to get antsy, don't lose sight of how important it is to take your time and make sure you're making the decision that's best for you.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies guys, I appreciate them!

I have booked HT with HLC Clinic in Ankara (dr ?zgur) few months ago. I think I was 25 years old when I decided that I wont look into HT before I am in my thirties. Well, now I am 32 yo :)

While I feel ok with buzz cut, it never felt like "me". I believe most of us here know what I mean. After dealing with hair loss over 10 years and getting older, I have started to appreciate and value time. While I could always wait a bit more and postpone HT, I would waste (arguably) the best times of my life waiting. Further, I fully believe we will have much better treatments in next 5-10 years which will halt and possibly reverse hair loss. Having said that I would never go to HT without being on legit hair loss treatments (big 3).

So now I am on big 3 which worked wonders for hair loss last time. HLC is considered one of the best HT clinics in Turkey. I believe my hair loss is not aggressive but more like moderately progressive ( without legit treatments). But I am not jumping the sharks without thinking Plan B or Plan C :) If something goes wrong along the road, I have planned to shave my head and get SMP with skilled artist. One of the (many) reasons I chose HLC is that they use manual punch with small sizes extraction needles leaving the donor with minimum damage in a case I would need to shave my head someday (and get SMP).

I've recommended HLC to my patients some of then went there and I am getting good reviews so far however have to wait their fully results which is going to take around 6 months then I would ask my patients to share thier pictures and experience.

I am not medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice

Myr,

You definitely want to stick with FUE to keep the option of wearing a short hair style...:cool:

Gillenator