Hairline TP that didn't grow

I'm getting ready to go in for my 8th transplant from doctor #4. my most recent procedure was from one of the more respected doctors on the forums and he's scheduled to do my next procedure.

My last transplant was fue at the hairline. Hairs placed in "virgin" territory on the left and right side of my hairline grew in nicely but hairs transplanted in the front where I had line grafts from the early 90's and subsequently removed 20+ years later, did not grow.

Is there any point in trying again at the widows peak part of the hairline or should I stick with the "virgin territory" areas?

That's 100 percent a question for the doc that has seen you in person. Only he or she can give you any valuable advice on that besides yourself. That's definitely an in person call.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I agree that this is a good question for the doctor, it's a shame that it didn't grow but it sounds like you likely had scarring in that area which often does create a problem for transplanted hair growth. Have you asked your surgeon about this and if so, what did he or she say?

Best wishes,

Bill

On the day of my surgery i'm scheduled to confer with my doc.

Regarding Acell and my situation, at what point would it be administered? Ie. before, during, after, etc.

doctors can only give their educated at what will grow in areas that may have scar tissue based on their clinical observation and experience. Some docs are more experienced in placement into scarred areas of previous transplants/removals than others. Even though you are all set with your next HT from your previous doctor #4, maybe a few consults with docs known for transplanting into scarred areas may helped to inform you. Bottom line is no one can guarantee a graft will grow or not even in virgin scalp. So...

I think it is worth trying again but maybe with someone who not only is a recommended doc in this network (which yours is) but also one who has done and has had success with treating scarred areas.

Konior has a few patients on his website that he has treated. It seems he takes it very slow with multiple sessions into scar areas to get growth. A consult can't hurt

rogar,

Grafts from the early 90s were typically larger and the FU refined transplant methods were not around. So most of the grafts were basically plugs and eventually evolved to micros and minis.

So after having them removed, chances are there was considerable scar tissue formed and a compromised area regarding blood flow.

Without knowing any more details other than what you provided, my guess is that it is a lack of adequate blood flow where the new grafts did not grow. Just my premonition.

It would be wise to get multiple opinions regarding the potential of adding any more to the area. Every time new incisions are made to the same area, there will be more scar tissue formed in the healing process.

Hopefully, your surgeon will be able to see some small areas that do have blood flow and be able to place enough small grafts to get a yield from them.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Just wanted to add that maybe ask your surgeon about using Liposomil ATP in the area as it can improve vacillation to the grafts and possibly help the new growth.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Yeah my hairline has had a lot of incisions made into it over the years and even though the skin looks normal there's probably a lot of scarred tissue under the skin that isn't visible. It might be worthwhile transplanting into the healthier skin that's not in center hairline area but I'll see what he says next week.

I'm getting ready to go in for my 8th transplant from doctor #4. my most recent procedure was from one of the more respected doctors on the forums and he's scheduled to do my next procedure.

My last transplant was fue at the hairline. Hairs placed in "virgin" territory on the left and right side of my hairline grew in nicely but hairs transplanted in the front where I had line grafts from the early 90's and subsequently removed 20+ years later, did not grow.

Is there any point in trying again at the widows peak part of the hairline or should I stick with the "virgin territory" areas?

If it was me I wouldn't waste valuable grafts if the area is badly damaged from previous Surgery's but that's just me, only your dr can advise you unfortunately

"Virgin territory" meaning bald scalp not yet transplanted into is easier to dense pack and to achieve significant results.

Transplanting into existing hair or existing transplants has the risk of shock loss and there is a limit as to what the surgeon can achieve in terms of grafts/cm2. Also you may thin out in this area over time if not on meds or lose response to the drugs.

If you've had multiple HT's that didn't grow you better take a step back and reassess where the issue is, whether it's your own physiology (future procedures not advised in such case), from losing native hair due to shock loss or from aging, or from surgeon's lack of skill.

Pre and post-op photos plus information on your current hair loss medicine regimen would help us to better assess your situation.

If it's surgeon skill issue, then do not proceed unless you are going with one of the elite surgeons out there - Konior, Lorenzo, Erdogan etc.

Otherwise you're just wasting grafts and money.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Definitely want to get multiple opinions on this situation.

Gillenator