Scabs

About 8 days into post-op and I notice the scabs on the recipient area starting to dry out and fall out. I know that you're not supposed to try to forcibly remove the scabs, but if some are already loose, is it dangerous to try to remove it? Also, I noticed that some scabs which have come out have a small hair stuck to it....is this normal or a bad sign?

It's possible for hairs to come away with scabs at this stage and the follicles should still be safely in the scalp. However, I wouldn't really recommend actively trying to remove scabs yet in case you get a bit over-confident and cause some damage.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

PSB1013,

Every physician has their own set of postoperative instructions. It is my firm advice that you follow your doctor's advice. Generally speaking however, many physicians to explain in their instructions how to properly remove scabs. By gently massaging your scalp in a circular motion with your fingertips, not the nails while in the shower is the safest way to gently remove them. Don't pick at them especially when they are dry. When they are wet, they will soften and gently massaging them will work that off slowly without causing any damage.

Best wishes,

Bill

Please do not pick, the grafts are probably safe, but there is still a chance some are not.

After day 14 you're essentially 100 percent in the clear for helping those scabs off as reasonably vigorous as you care to be, but before then it's prudent to be delicate and leave them alone.

Soak your head after two weeks post op if your doctor so advises, that will soften the scabs, but always default to your doctor's post op advice and routine before you take any action.

Edited by Speegs

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

What you are dealing with is probably mostly crusts and not scabs. Crusts are the tips of the grafts just above the scalp line and dried out graft tissue.

Most docs will want their patients to start removing them 10-12 days post-op.

But opinions do vary and so I agree, follow "your surgeon's" advice and directions.

Congrats on your recent procedure....;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hairprincess,

It appears that you are employed by a HT physician and/or clinic.

If that is true then the proper thing to do is to make proper disclosure of that at your forum signature including your position.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Pretty good consensus here regarding the standard protocol, and also that with matters such as these you should always defer back to your surgeon for their specific instructions. In my opinion, the grafts are most likely perfectly lodged at this point, and even if hairs are falling out, that doesn't mean the grafts themselves are. (If you were to lose a graft, there would be bleeding, and it would most likely be painful). Shampooing and letting the suds soak on your scalp for several minutes then gently massaging the scalp worked perfectly for me at this stage.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56