Dr Knudsen

easternboy

I wish I could say I have visited Dr. Knudsen's clinic in Australia. He has invited me on several occasions, but I have not been able to get there yet. I can say that he is one of the kindest men I have ever met, and he is recognized amongst his peers as a leader in the field of hair restoration. Stay positive it often takes a second procedure to get closer to your goals.

easternboy,

I haven't honestly seen any of his work in a long time. But on a personal note, I do concur with Dr. Charles that he is well recognized among his peers and he's one heck of a nice guy. I had the opportunity to meet and speak with him at the 2008 ISHRS scientific meeting in Montreal.

I hope that you'll share your experience and results on this community.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hey Eastern Boy>

I have visited and had Doctor Knudsen help me on a few occasions due to some repair work that I needed. I will be straight with you and let you know that he is helpful, knowledgeable and seems to know his trade. But I will also state that he does rather small sessions and plants at lower densities. If you're happy with that then by all means go to him. But in my opinion you can do better!

Thank you for your feedback....I am in Sydney Australia and if if anyone could recommend someone who is GOOD I would much appreciate it. As I mentioned I had Dr Martinek the first time around ..the hair looks good but way to sparse and people comment that it looks like I am thining on top. So basically I am looking for someone who can thicken up what I already have. I still have a month to go before I see Dr Knudsen for the top up but I am hesitant as I do not know of anyone who has had a HT done by him... but I hear positive things about him...Is he the Dr for the job????? OR should I go back to Dr Martinck even though I feel that I got severly ripped off.... she agreed that my result was very thin (2500 grafts)... yet no discount for a poor result...she is very expensive for a top up. The money is not the issue but it leaves a bad taste when you feel that your doctor is soo money focussed.

Eastern--- I think many OZ docs are so expensive because they know a plane ticket from OZ to the State or Canada is expensive.

I find the cost of a session down under mirrors the general cost of a HT in the States plus the cost of a plane ticket (1700-2000 USD)

What I tell people is your going to pay roughly the same money, so come to the States for work from a doctor with much more transparency and a better reputation.

On Dr. Knudson's site 2000 grafts costs 12,650.00 AUS or 11,015.00 USD.

In the States 2000 grafts will cost 8-9K from top clinic (9,200 to 10,300 AUS). Add a 2000 flight cost and you basically break even.

Your going to have to pay for a few days at a hotel, but overall....not knowing and going to a clinic simply by attrition/lack of real options vs choosing a leading clinic for the same money is a no brainer.

Good Luck with everything mate!

Jason

BTW--I just looked at flight costs---range from 1500-2400.00.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Absolutely F. Gump.... there are certainly ways to achieve your goals in the proper hands for our friends down under.

This is where the internet is excellent because being forced to chose a clinic vs choosing a clinic because they can meet your needs is huge difference.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hey Eastern Boy> Now to be honest with you. Make sure you do your own research and look for the doctor that is suited to you. Just remember there are a lot of overseas clinic that will be vying for your business. Saying all the right things, popping into the threads. blah, blah, blah..

Not that I have a problem with that. But what I am saying is be aware of that and do your due diligence!

Holla me as I am an aussie. We had another thread where aussies can chat and get to know each other better here-

http://hair-restoration-info.c...66060861/m/936109573

Originally posted by parable:

Hey Eastern Boy> Now to be honest with you. Make sure you do your own research and look for the doctor that is suited to you. Just remember there are a lot of overseas clinic that will be vying for your business. Saying all the right things, popping into the threads. blah, blah, blah..

Not that I have a problem with that. But what I am saying is be aware of that and do your due diligence!

Holla me as I am an aussie. We had another thread where aussies can chat and get to know each other better here-

http://hair-restoration-info.c...66060861/m/936109573

Are you pointing this at me Parable?

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

BSpot- You know I have nothing against you. As you have been a great help and contributor to many a people. Read what I said earlier.

I mentioned 'I didn't have a problem with it', that is with those employed by clinics to recruit patients.

However, you know and I know there are shills left, right and centre who are willing to do and say whatever necessary to get the unsuspecting and newbies business.

I just want to make sure this patient does his own due diligence and finds the right doct. for him..

Cool?

Oh, Ok...well that's why your comments took me off guard a bit!!! When I read it I was like,

"What the hell did I do to my guy P?????"

You are 100% correct....easternboy needs to do some hard research...imho, he is best served to leave OZ and head north...I see some have suggested Dr. Path...I am not as keen on that approach yet....as time goes by and continue to have happy patients I will certainly come around.

Hopefully he will contact you and you can steer him right, having been through what you have, he will listen.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by parable:

BSpot- You know I have nothing against you. As you have been a great help and contributor to many a people. Read what I said earlier.

I mentioned 'I didn't have a problem with it', that is with those employed by clinics to recruit patients.

However, you know and I know there are shills left, right and centre who are willing to do and say whatever necessary to get the unsuspecting and newbies business.

I just want to make sure this patient does his own due diligence and finds the right doct. for him..

Cool?

I would have to say here that the cost of a HT in Australia is just far too expensive.

Guys,

just wanted to bump this thread up and mention a conversation I had with Dr. Ron Shapiro yesterday.

While Dr. Ron feels it is always a good idea to research accordingly, and not let travel be the sole determining factor, Dr. Ron has known Dr. Knudson for many years, observed his practice in person and is believes any patient, especially Australians should be more than comfortable choosing Dr. Knudson.

Dr. Ron feels he does state of the art work, has modern facilities and excellent staff which allows him to do refined work.

I personally have never really seen much of Dr. Knudsen's work, so I always tell people to do research, research, research and I guess this could be construed as negative toward Dr. Knudsen...which it was not intended to do.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Absolutely Bill. After speaking to Dr. Ron and finding more about Dr. Knudsen, I hope that is the case.

I would be nice to see some of his work displayed.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Bill,

I also have had the opportunity to meet some of Dr Knudsen's patients because a few have moved to England and wanted to continue on meds.Their surgery had been completed and no further work was needed.The work i saw was excellent.

I can tell all our Aussie bretheren one important thing.They will have to go a long way to find another doctor as unique as Dr knudsen.He impressed me as much as Dr Parsley and that is saying something.I have met him several times and always come away just that little bit wiser.

Mick

Patient coordinator for Dr. Bessam Farjo who is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I have had my first ht with Dr Knudson in Oct 09 and i can tell you he is the nicest person i have ever meet. I will post photos in the near future and hopefully he may be reconised on this site..

From what i have learnt from other photos and comments from here i think my reults will be pleaseing, fingers crossed.

2500 grafts by DR Knudson

I looked at Dr Knudsen when i was first considering an HT. But the cost was beyond what I could afford or justify and i felt it was over the top as well. I know cost shouldnt be a factor but for some of us it is...probably for most of us it is I would think. So my HT (based on the estimated 4000 grafts) with DR Knudsen would cost me $23,650. And thats if it could be done in one session. Plus i would have an airfare of around $200 and expensive hotels to pay for on top. If it was 2 sessions it may even cost more. His website says $12,650 for 2000 grafts.My HT with Dr Path, a recommended doc on this site who does excellent work will cost me $12,200 and that includes the airfare to thailand. A reasonable hotel is $50 a night. So why would I pay an extra $12,000 to have my HT done in australia. Even only having 2000 grafts youll still save 5 or 6 grand by going to thailand.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I had some repair work done with Dr Knudsen in Jan 04. I had previous scalp reductions amd a flap done in the late 80's - early 90's - ( DR Marzola when he operated ut of Sydney). Thankfully, my results have been ok. I am 49 and my hairloss appears to have stabilised. I have never taken meds.

Anyway, I was happy with the work of Dr Knudsen - as others have said, you won't get huge sessions, but you will get good quality conservative work. He gave me 800ish grafts to repair my hairline and temple points.

As you can see in one of the attachments ( the close up with my hair pulled back ) I still require further work on the temple points ).

I will definitely go down the FUE route next time - I am all scarred out.

Anyway, I can pull off a reasonable 'do' and don't have to make any adjustments to my life other than a fair whack of product for styling purposes.

Dr Knudsen's after surgery care is also excellent.

1.jpg.c1d1e2620ba7496e898f8dc90568a463.jpg

Rocky,

thanks for the extra photos mate. I've always been keen to see further pics of the work you had done after seeing your initial pics some time ago. Looks great.

Joe.

Thanks Joe.

B Spot, I can vouch for the fact that Dr Knudsen knows Dr Shapiro and has observed his work.

When I had my procedure done in '04, Dr Shapiro was not only in attendance in the surgery, he also placed some of my grafts.

True story.

Regardless of whether you like the work of the Drs or not, they are both top shelf humans.

• 6 months later...

i myself considered a hair transplant with dr knudsen, i have to say the pricing is very expensive and after looking at his previous work compared to other doctors i am very surprised to see such poor results on patients.

Dr Knudsen has had enough experience in this field to exceed my and anyones expectations although has failed i am sure he is a very nice guy but im not paying for politness im paying for the result.

In my personal research no Australian Doctor has sufficient evidence of "todays up to standard HT's" and the price they are charging i feel is using the patients vulnerability

check the link or the photos attatched and make your own mind up but i know i wouldnt pay 12'000 AU + for some of the photos listed on the before and afters

Men1_front_L.jpg.0989da69a636e13bda3ed4dd8d68a788.jpg

Men1_top_L.jpg.ea657b5ee291790be207a767fb7ea101.jpg

Men3_front_L.jpg.2ae909e6bcf4deda0b1c47c836ef342d.jpg

Men4_top_S.jpg.a7001fe6b6dd82cbed74cf5a325997e2.jpg

Edited by Future_HT_Doc
removed promotional link