Getting on a plane after an HT

How quickly do you guys get on a plane after the HT? Is it next day, or wait a few days? I have heard you should get on the plane next day as you'll see swelling, OTOH, I'm concerned about dislodging grafts/bumping heads in a long flight from EU to the East coast.

By which day are grafts safe?

How quickly do you guys get on a plane after the HT? Is it next day, or wait a few days? I have heard you should get on the plane next day as you'll see swelling, OTOH, I'm concerned about dislodging grafts/bumping heads in a long flight from EU to the East coast.

By which day are grafts safe?

From day 10 onwards grafts are "safe" I've heard.

I've flown overseas several times for my HTs, and I recommend staying local as long as possible as long as your travel budget and vacation time will allow, especially if having a large procedure.

If you absolutely have to get back quick after the procedure then fly back on day 2 (afternoon or night flight after a check and cleaning by the clinic) or day 3 before the heavy swelling settles in.

Also select a window seat that is close to a bathroom for frequent check and saline spraying and if possible against a bulkhead (meaning no one sits behind you) as soon as you book and pay for your ticket. An international flight aisle seat will make you at the mercy of countless head bumping risks during a long flight so don't sit in the aisle seats.

As mentioned, grafts are permanently secure at around 10 days as per documented studies, and the first few days are the most critical for doing no damage.

Also carry your doctor letter in your travel carry on even on the return flight.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/184596-always-bring-your-dr-letter-you-your-carry-gear.html

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Personally, I got on a plane the day after surgery for two out of my 4 procedures. The other 2 were done somewhat locally so I didn't require plan travel. That said, buying yourself a neck pillow is probably one of the best things you can do. It will allow you to rest your head and neck comfortably while keeping your freshly transplanted scalp off the back of the chair.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi

I flew on the 2nd day after a 3400 fue and I had bad swelling, in a way I wish id of either flew the next day after the op or waited around week . My face was swollen badly around the head eyes and nose . Luckily in Turkey they must be used to it because at security I took my hat off and they quickly looked me over and that was it . But I was so stressed as I looked like a freak I even hid in the toilet for an hour or so waiting for the plane but maybe thats me over reacting but my wife was shocked when she picked me up from the airport. It took about a week for me to look normal again .

bb

I've flown overseas several times for my HTs, and I recommend staying local as long as possible as long as your travel budget and vacation time will allow, especially if having a large procedure.

If you absolutely have to get back quick after the procedure then fly back on day 2 (afternoon or night flight after a check and cleaning by the clinic) or day 3 before the heavy swelling settles in.

Also select a window seat that is close to a bathroom for frequent check and saline spraying and if possible against a bulkhead (meaning no one sits behind you) as soon as you book and pay for your ticket. An international flight aisle seat will make you at the mercy of countless head bumping risks during a long flight so don't sit in the aisle seats.

As mentioned, grafts are permanently secure at around 10 days as per documented studies, and the first few days are the most critical for doing no damage.

Also carry your doctor letter in your travel carry on even on the return flight.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/184596-always-bring-your-dr-letter-you-your-carry-gear.html

PERFECT. Thanks so much. I'll be sitting in the very back yay!

This is how I try to plan my hair transplant travel:

Sunday: Fly to destination

Monday: Pre-op consultation/game planning with doctor

Tuesday: Surgery

Wednesday: Rest, recovery, first shampoo by clinic

Thursday: 2nd shampoo by clinic, final exam by doctor, fly home afternoon

Friday: Home Sweet Home as swelling sets in for 2-3 days

Take the following week off from work for a total of two weeks off from work

Edited by Shampoo

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

PERFECT. Thanks so much. I'll be sitting in the very back yay!

Good luck and stay safe.

Forgot to mention the dr letter will also help you get the saline/graft spray through the baggage inspection so bring it with you for that too.

Try to stay at the airport and on public transportation for minimum time possible without missing your flight. Seems biggest risk areas these days with everything going on in the world are the airports and public transportation points.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I flew (3hrs) home the day after surgery and in my opinion this was a good decision. The swellings kicked in on day 2 so i was home when it was worst.

A neck pillow ist really a good choice.

I did not wear a hat during the flight and sometimes people looked at me for a bit longer but anyway...

I flew home 2 days post op. Had a little swelling above the "sweatband" but otherwise no issue. I checked in on the last row as well. People look but nobody cares. I didn't fly to/from my home airport as I work there and didn't want to run into people I know 2 days post op so I had to add a 2 hour drive but that was also no issue at all. Bring a travel pillow and use it to sleep as well!