Dental X-rays?? Can they lead to further hair loss??

Well it looks like that time of the year for me again: my annual dental appointment. Sometimes the dentist zaps x-rays to see what is wrong with your teeth. Of course, x-rays is not a good friend to anyone. So I would like to know if dental x-rays can make you lose more hair. This is my main concern going into the dental office. I am very concerned about losing more hair than I already have.

Hello everyone. This morning I finally decided to see the dentist. I had the option of not taking an x-ray - though I went ahead and got it anyway. Being that I am cautious of radiation effects on hair, the doctor reassured me that the dose is so small that is it equivalent to a day's worth of sunlight (which I do not believe).

I came out of the dental office very depressed and angry because I felt that the x-ray was not necessary and may contribute to more hair loss. Right now I feel so ashamed and angry at myself that words cannot begin to describe my emotions. Honestly, I should not have gone to get x-rayed. Just to let you know, I have not had many x-rays in my life. The last one I had was in 2013 at the dentist's. But personally I believe that one is too many.

Gentlemen, I feel tormented now. I ask for your honesty upon the matter. This is all I ask, just your honesty.

I would like to also request the administrator and moderator for their opinions and direction. Thank you.

Milo,

IMHO, the X-ray did not harm your hair follicles and won't facilitate further hair loss...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Milo,

IMHO, the X-ray did not harm your hair follicles and won't facilitate further hair loss...;)

Hello gillenator and thank you for your input. May I ask why you say this? Do not take this question as challenge since I do highly respect your opinion. But would like reassurance and reasoning as to the nature of your input. Thank you again.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. If you are worried about this, you should probably stop walking outside and flying too, for that matter.

"Dental x-rays are one of the lowest radiation dose studies performed. A routine exam which includes 4 bitewings is about 0.005 mSv, which is less than one day of natural background radiation. It is also about the same amount of radiation exposure from a short airplane flight (~1-2 hrs). The American Dental Association recommends that patients who are not having problems have dental x-rays performed every two years. Proper shielding is also common, which makes the potential risk even lower."

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

I wouldn't worry about it at all. If you are worried about this, you should probably stop walking outside and flying too, for that matter.

"Dental x-rays are one of the lowest radiation dose studies performed. A routine exam which includes 4 bitewings is about 0.005 mSv, which is less than one day of natural background radiation. It is also about the same amount of radiation exposure from a short airplane flight (~1-2 hrs). The American Dental Association recommends that patients who are not having problems have dental x-rays performed every two years. Proper shielding is also common, which makes the potential risk even lower."

Yes I have read this before. But my problem with this assessment is if one dental x-ray is equivalent to "less than one day's background radiation" or "short airplane flight (~1-2 hrs)" then why do doctors stand way clear from the exam room when they snap the x-ray?

Respectfully I trust your concern. However, the medical field is wrought with misinformation to ensure that the public not panic. Again, I am not trying to challenge you. That's not my purpose. I just want to know where I am at regarding this issue. Thank you for your understanding and input.

Edited by milo12

It's because they perform many XRays during the day. Days add up to weeks and to months!

I agree with you though over your concern about xRays in general. But I think we may be over thinking it all

I seriously hope you are right.

Hello gillenator and thank you for your input. May I ask why you say this? Do not take this question as challenge since I do highly respect your opinion. But would like reassurance and reasoning as to the nature of your input. Thank you again.

Milo,

ModernHair is spot on and agree with him totally. The exposure just spending a day in the sunlight exposes us to more harmful rays that an annual XRay from the dentist.

I have some personal experience with this. Back in 2009, I went through some awful chemotherapy for lung cancer. I had to have an endless number of scans with an semi-annual scan for 5 years after remission....lo and behold, I am still here.

And also as a result, the chemo began to decay all of my teeth and have sustained an endless amount of oral surgery with roughly 80% of my teeth having to be extracted. Had to have a fair number of XRays for that too...again still here.

I did not have much of a choice to not have them so having an annual XRay again is not very much exposure IMHO.

• Like 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Milo,

I have some personal experience with this. Back in 2009, I went through some awful chemotherapy for lung cancer.

And also as a result, the chemo began to decay all of my teeth and have sustained an endless amount of oral surgery with roughly 80% of my teeth having to be extracted. Had to have a fair number of XRays for that too...again still here.

Appreciate the vote of confidence there gillenator. It is just that I go through a barrage of stress at the thought of anything that could potentially put my hair at risk which I know you can greatly understand.

Sorry to hear about the cancer treatment. Did the chemo and dental xrays, as awful as they were, make you lose your hair at all? If so did your hair regrow after you ended chemo?

One last thing, you have mentioned in your signature a few doctors. Which do say has given you the most hair density?

All the best.

Edited by milo12

It is true about the sunlight thing....

Don't sweat it.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

You're very welcome Milo. Yes, after extensive chemo treatments I lost 100% of my hair and not just my scalp, my entire body. I actually purchased a system to wear until my hair grew back which it did but my hair appeared more diffused than it was before. Kind of a funny thing about terminal stage cancer, not many people survive it so when I did make it, you end up with a totally different perspective about life.

Even though my hair grew back weaker, I was just thankful I was alive to see it! So I use a little Toppik when I go out and about and am totally at peace my friend...;)

Actually none of my supporting physicians did any of my work, yet I have an unending amount of respect for their talent and ethics!...:)

• Like 2

Gillenator

Actually none of my supporting physicians did any of my work, yet I have an unending amount of respect for their talent and ethics!...:)

Oh I am sorry but may you clarify what you said? Did you mean to say that these transplant doctors never performed any surgery on you?

Yes Milo, that's correct....;)

Gillenator

Yes research but more largely related to the heart I have for people and those suffering from hair loss just like me.

Thanks for asking Milo....;)

Gillenator

Yes research but more largely related to the heart I have for people and those suffering from hair loss just like me.

Thanks for asking Milo....;)

Well I must say that is very commendable of you. Why thank you also for your kind opinions. I want to wish you a lot of luck.

Thanks Milo...much appreciated my good friend...:)

Gillenator

• 4 years later...

Well if it was true, I would be completely bald because of the abundance of XRays that I have received.

• Like 1

Gillenator

• Valued Contributor
On 10/21/2016 at 3:42 PM, milo12 said:

Well it looks like that time of the year for me again: my annual dental appointment. Sometimes the dentist zaps x-rays to see what is wrong with your teeth. Of course, x-rays is not a good friend to anyone. So I would like to know if dental x-rays can make you lose more hair. This is my main concern going into the dental office. I am very concerned about losing more hair than I already have.

I think you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I've not read any data suggesting a correlation between dental X Rays and MPB. I would dismiss this and ignore it. All the best!

1 minute ago, Gatsby said:

I think you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I've not read any data suggesting a correlation between dental X Rays and MPB. I would dismiss this and ignore it. All the best!

Not sure why this thread has been bumped it’s about 5 years old and the guy hasn’t signed in for over 4 years 😉

• Haha 1

• Valued Contributor

Don't tell me it was because of the dental X Rays??????

Just now, JohnAC71 said:

Not sure why this thread has been bumped it’s about 5 years old and the guy hasn’t signed in for over 4 years 😉

Don't tell me it was because of the dental X Rays????? 😬

• Haha 1

He probably had the XRays and he is fine.

Gillenator