Continuous hair shedding from last 7-8 month

I had a hair transplant (HT) over a year back (I was Norwood 5). I have been on Minoxidil and finasteride ever since. Around 3 months after HT, my hair started shedding (50+) and they have not stopped or slowed down since then. These shedded hairs are of 1 inch or smaller in size. Sometimes when I touch my scalp I feel that these hairs may have grown back but definitely the density of hairs have gone down.

Should I assume that these meds are not working for me as it has been 1 year? Is there any other solutions for this problem. Earlier I thought the shedding happened due to shock loss but this is continuous so I'm afraid it may be TE or AGA. Any comments from your experience.

Thanks

Are you using any harsh shampoos such as Nizoral?

This has happened to some people including myself due to the hype on Niz as a "hairloss solution."

Btw is this only native hair (could be shockloss) or transplanted hairs?

The hair cycle for transplanted hair is relatively shorter initially then progressively gets longer.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Thanks for the reply. No, I'm not using Nizoral, I'm using J&J baby shampoo since my HT.

I'm not sure about native or transplant hair shedding as my HT happened in the same area where some native hairs were already present. Though I think both kinds of hairs are shedding.

About the 'shock loss', does this not happen in early months of HT and last for some weeks. I'm shedding hairs from last 7-8 months. Another thing I noticed that shedded hairs are thinner and have no roots. I'm right now totally confused as it has been 1 year and shedding has not stopped. I can't figure out whether this HT was a good idea or not.

To compare, I attached my before HT picture (1st pic) and picture after 1 year (taken today).

Thank you

5b32ef5c2ee93_IMG_42181.JPG.7a3c3a3fc61a1ffae8cd099c840d7ade.JPG

IMG_4537.thumb.JPG.e0d2f52f79ca730ebdcdce8e407915b1.JPG

IMG_4543.thumb.JPG.19c298960421d5aa2b40d865ecf7075e.JPG

Edited by hairlosssufferer2016

Yes. I also think that it is a failed procedure. I had my HT done by a family Dr. in India. Unfortunately, I can't name him as he is a family.I had FUT and around 1200 grafts. I am really disappointed.

@HLS2015 Thanks for the advice. I'll stop using baby shampoo right away.

Should I stop taking fin? as I do not see any changes

I can see a big difference in hair mass. Your hair is wet in your afters. I'm not saying the differnece is from the transplant but it looks like the fin is working.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

No, my hairs were not wet. I have oily scalp and infact these pictures are from the day when I did shampoo.

I also want your opinion on 2nd HT. Should I consider it, especially after these results. Maybe my hairs are not good enough for HT. If yes, then how long should I wait.

Thanks

It's very hard to say if this was a failed HT without seeing immediate post-op pics showing the area that was covered and how the grafts were placed. Even though it doesn't look like a huge transformation, I think you're lucky that the less number of grafts you used for your norwood case didn't end up making your hair look pluggy. It still looks like a very natural head to my eyes. Not sure if the thickening was due to HT or fin. Do you have immediate post-op pics?

Regarding 2nd HT, you should talk to some recommended doctors and see what they think. You should have enough donor left, imo.

I attached my Hair loss blog at the end. I've posted all the pics before and after the HT. You'll see that until first 3-4 months everything was in order but it is complete downhill since then. I'm following everything that my Dr. and other people have suggested but shedding is continued. I know about shock loss but can that continue for 7-8 months. I'm not sure. If you have any other suggestion please provide. I'm willing to try anything at this stage.

Thanks

Hairloss blog: hairlosssufferer2016 | Before Surgery to 5 months post op

Hair shedding is a normal part of the hair growth cycle however, excessive shedding could be a sign of hair loss. Your "after" pictures definitely look more full as far as I can tell in the pictures. Also, minoxodil (and Propecia) can cause additional hair shedding the first couple of months after use. If you feel you are losing more hair, I suggest consulting your hair transplant physician or even a dermatologist who can evaluate your scalp under magnification to see if there's miniaturization.

Please keep us posted.

Bill

As I mentioned in my post and blog, I am taking minoxidil and fin since after one week of my HT and shedding started after 3-4 months. As you mentioned " minoxodil (and Propecia) can cause additional hair shedding the first couple of months after use." then the shedding should not continue for 7-8 months. the strange thing is I've not experienced any itching, rash or any other symptoms that were experienced by others when they have failed HT.

About the miniaturization, I did not experience any hair loss in the donor area for more than 2-3 years before my HT. However, I did experience hair loss around donor area along with my recipient area in last 7-8 months. It appears that HT has triggered everything but with the 3-4 months delay. :confused:

I shed more hairs in last 7-8 months in the recipient area than total no. of native hairs ever existed. Sometimes I feel that these hairs do come back but then when they reach around 1 inch or so, they just shed away. This gives me impression that if they just hang in there for some time then I may get my good days back.:rolleyes: But then they just like, don't want to grow more :mad:

Thanks