1-week post FUE op question...

cjhunter666

Hi all

I'm one week post my FUE operation and have two concerns:

1 - I have a fair few big red spots on the recipient area. Is this normal and will it affect my result? I'm worried they will dislodge the hairs.

2 - I was told to spray my hair with sterile water for the first 3 days. However, I have loads left over. Can I continue to spray my head as it feels nice and helps the itching. Will it help or hinder?

Thanks all

CJ

Hi CJ,

Congratulations on the procedure.

1) Sounds normal. But do share a few pictures if you get the chance. This will help the community assess and offer a recommendation.

2) You should be able to continue it. The saline spray really does help in the post-op. I recommend it to my patients quite often.

BUT, and most importantly, make sure you run all this by your clinic. Each clinic has their own set of specific instructions, and you should follow these "to a T."

Hope this helps!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

At only one week after surgery I agree that this sounds normal but just in case, do go ahead and post a few pictures.

There's nothing wrong with continuing to spray your scalp. I understand that it probably feels good. You can also apply aloe vera to your scalp and while it may make your hair a little greasy sticky, the cooling sensation feels really good.

Of my favorite things to do is to buy Niozin shampoo and conditioner and use that because the cooling sensation makes my scalp, especially the donor area that becomes pretty itchy, feel quite nice.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks for your very helpful replies Blake and Bill. Really appreciated. I will continue to spray my head with the saline then and hope it helps. I've also got an appointment at the clinic to discuss this with them in more detail, as I now have about 8 or so big pimples on the recipient area. They hurt like hell and so I want to see the dr to make sure they won't impact the result. I didn't expect any pimples at the 1-week postop mark - that's for sure.

I'm back at work on Monday so I should be able to take some photos and post them via my computer then.

Thanks again,

CJ

Thanks, HLS2015, for the advice. I have an appointment tomorrow, so fingers crossed. I agree regarding the moistening of the scalp. It's really helping so far with the itching so i'll continue.

Thanks for the product tips too, ontop. I'll try and source them online now.

All the best and here's hoping.

CJ

It does seem a bit early for all the pimples which will be quite common down the road. The redness will persist for a while but I'm sure your doctor will take a look and alleviate your concerns. Good luck, you have a lot to look forward to. Hope you share some photos soon.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks John and all.

Here are some photos. I'm getting pretty concerned now as I'm getting more pimples each day. They are big, red, and puss filled. I'm concerned that it will impact the end result.

What do you think from looking at the photos?

Thanks,

CJ

5b32ef58b1d36_20161015_101541-Copy.thumb.jpg.46f0a931107d7eebb634b012a319e67f.jpg

5b32ef58ec967_20161015_101947-Copy.thumb.jpg.c28efb26a0c4ed5fdb9e3bca1bac3483.jpg

It is bit early for pimples to develop.

Pimples usually develop at 4 to 12 weeks after surgery and can continue for several months. They are usually caused by loose debris from skin and hair that got caught beneath the scalp, or can be caused by new growth pushing through much later on. It is possible that you’re experiencing the former at this point. If the pimples are severe, this could be folliculitis and should be looked at by your surgeon for possible treatment with antibiotics.

Get in touch with your doctor to be sure of the situation

Okay thanks all. I've seen my surgeon and I'm now on antibiotics. Hopefully these will clear the rash up and stop any further damage to the hair. I'll show further photos in a day or so. I'm now really concerned that this will impact the result. Fingers crossed it won't hey.

Thanks

CJ

Thanks gregor100. My dr isn't too sure, so to be safe I'm on antibiotics. Hopefully it will clear up soon. I seem to get more every day. My concern is that if it is hairs trying to pop through, they are going to be damaged and not take as well. Fingers crossed they will take.

Thanks,

CJ

Okay thanks all. I've seen my surgeon and I'm now on antibiotics. Hopefully these will clear the rash up and stop any further damage to the hair. I'll show further photos in a day or so. I'm now really concerned that this will impact the result. Fingers crossed it won't hey.

Thanks

CJ

Hi. Did you get any other post-op meds with your water spray? Are you scratching? Thanks.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi there MrGio. I was given a 4-day prescription of low strength antibiotics. No topical stuff just the spray and told to use it for 4 days. I used the spray longer than that though to help with the itching. The rash seems to have cleared up nearly now though thanks to the stronger antibiotics I was given when the pimples appeared. It's still itchy but less red and only a couple of pimples.

This is my third surgery though and never had it before. The spray was enough in the past.

Thanks

CJ

Hey!!

1 - Something similar happened to me. So yes, it's normal.

2 - Again same scenario, so yup! Feel free to wash gently. :-)

Richter101 is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

Born Oct ’89

Began Seeing Gradual Hair Loss Oct ’09

Began Seeing Gradual Hair Gain June ’15

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2200 (ARTAS- FUE) grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2016

Finasteride daily, since 2014

Rogaine experimenter from 2012- ’13 RIP

Planning HT #2 By End of This Year :)

I look forward to the outcome and photo update at some point in the future.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Glad to hear the redness and pimples are dissipating. I'm also curious regarding the number of grafts. If any grafts were infected, it was probably a very low percentage of the overall grafts. When I had my second surgery (2,000 grafts), the first night, I rubbed out about 12 -15 grafts in my sleep. My head was a bloody mess but losing only 15 grafts would not and did not make a difference in the ultimate results, aesthetically.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.