Full Head Shave or Not?

Hi,

I'm pretty close to agreeing a Ht with Dr Resul Yaman and they have said they don't have to fully shave my head if I don't want to and it and agreed the same price per graft.

Shaving my head is a bit scary (worried it won't grow back like it is and don't think I'll suit it) but are there any benefits from doing so, like better density, less shockloss etc?

Cheers

for my second HT i was told i wouldnt have to shave my head. I was having more density put into my hairline. I was prepared to have a full shave as i did with my first HT. I still had to had chunks shaved from the back and the area along the hairline. I was able to cover this with the rest of my hair.

I dont think it has effected the outcome but im still only 5.5 months post HT. I was worried about the shave the first time, but it was bad at all. I also wish i had it shaved for my second HT as i think my hair looked a mess with shaved sections. in my opinion its so much easier to just shave, for both the surgeon and yourself.

It was much easier to clean when shaved and i couldnt hide anything so i embraced it. i was actually told a shaved head suited me, and i really didnt expect that.

Goblin,

I had just posted a reply similar to this one the other day however, it really depends on whether or not you can get away with it.

As for me, I shaved my head completely about a week and a half after my third hair transplant and for my fourth hair transplant, I just had to search and shave my entire head right before the procedure to get it over with. Shaving my head with Staples and already wasn't the most pleasant thing but honestly, it made maintaining my scalp and keeping it clean much easier and then all the hair through in at one time.

So if you can get away with it with your work, I'd say go for it.

And in my opinion Dr.Yaman is excellent.

Best wishes,

Bill

• Administrators

This is something I am wrestling with too as well, speaking for myself, I have a good hairstyle and length that covers my head very well, the illusion makes it appear as if I have a full head of hair, the issue when you shave is that the illusion disappears like a magic trick.

I don't know if you can but I texted my doctor a photo of my current hair and length and asked him if I will have to shave the top, he said not to shave just yet and he will let me know on the day of the surgery. Ultimately, its best to leave it up to the surgeon, it is much easier creating recipient sites and placing the grafts between buzzed hair doing this with long hair can be tedious, and you want to do anything possible to make sure the surgery is a success. Either way I will follow what ever my doc says. Hopefully I don't have to buzz it though, having to deal with a buzzed head for the holidays is going to suck.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Yeah I'm pretty much the same, people don't think I need a hair transplant with the way I style my hair, but I know the truth!

Yeah I've asked (but not direct with surgeon) and they said I don't have to but recommended it. Guess I'll just wait until the day and see what he says!

I know what you mean, I'm planning surgery just after my holiday and so I have 6-8 months to recover for my next one!

I asked this same question last week and I am going to see dr. Yaman on the 1st. I am not shaving my head for the procedure. I'm only thinning in places. When I posted on the other forum, most of the doctors said it was not necessary. I want mine as discrete as possible. Good luck.

Thanks!

I'm thinning in places too which is part of the reason I thought they would need to do a full shave to get the most density. I would rather keep my surgery as discreet as possible as well so it would be interesting to see what Dr Yaman says.

Please let me know what he says.

Thanks and good luck too!

I'm also thinning is so many areas I see no problem with shaving my hair for the procedure. I'll say I tried a new hair style that didn't work out. I would want the doctor to see as much of my scalp as possible.