Conflicting advice about how many grafts I may need

Hi all, I'm a total newbie both here and in the world of hair restoration so sorry if I'm a bit slow to understand some things but please bear with me!

I recently decided to pursue the idea of a hair transplant, I've narrowed my options down to two doctors, both in different countries to me (I live in New Zealand). I'm not going to mention the names of these doctors for now because I don't want to risk bias in any potential replies and I also believe they are both recommended on this site and may read this thread.

I'm very confident that both doctors have excellent reputations but the thing is they've given me conflicting advice as to how many grafts I may need. One says 2000-2500 and the other says 4000. These estimates have been made only by looking at photos I emailed them so I totally understand that I can't get an exact number, but they're miles apart!

Anyway, my question is: If you look at the photos I've attached, would anybody be able to tell me which of the two estimates is more likely to be correct?

Thanks in advance and feel free to ask any questions if I've missed anything.

20161005_092246.thumb.jpg.37dc40eeaf742bc1330bf0bcc1b2d072.jpg

20161005_092539.thumb.jpg.0976d076ee46dbc7514851ac88509610.jpg

20161005_092910.thumb.jpg.f875d3236dbd2c35a8788a61651b0d30.jpg

20161005_095150.thumb.jpg.26f9381f7eb123ec5d91795c5969088a.jpg

20161005_092637.thumb.jpg.7a79370055233901eff0c629d1fa4c06.jpg

I would definitely be leaning towards the 4000 mark. I would say Turkey is you best shot as there is no decent docs down under. Good luck

Edited by David - Moderator

Looking at your photos you need as many grafts as possible. At least 4000 in my opinion to make a positive cosmetic different. I don't know how any doctor can look at these photos and say 2000-2500. Some doctors don't have the experience or feel comfortable doing big session. They always use the same excuse that they say big sessions have less percentage of growth. If you see the results on this website you will see that the doctor doing large session don't have an issue with growth.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I agree with the others...certainly closer to 4,000 than 2,000 in my humble opinion. I had around 2,000 in total and had much less loss than you seem to have. I'd definitely get some more HT doctor opinions before making your final decision.

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

Looking at your photos you need as many grafts as possible. At least 4000 in my opinion to make a positive cosmetic different. I don't know how any doctor can look at these photos and say 2000-2500. Some doctors don't have the experience or feel comfortable doing big session. They always use the same excuse that they say big sessions have less percentage of growth. If you see the results on this website you will see that the doctor doing large session don't have an issue with growth.

Bosley and Ziering would have told him that. SMH...

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

Transplant Doctors like to keep your ass on the hook for 3 or 4 surgeries it's how they buy flashy cars, send their kids to college, and pay for mistresses lol

Notwithstanding your unfair skepticism, the cost is on a "per graft" basis, so whether the final total is performed in one surgery or over 3 - 4, the cost would be the same.

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

Notwithstanding your unfair skepticism, the cost is on a "per graft" basis, so whether the final total is performed in one surgery or over 3 - 4, the cost would be the same.

Not entirely true, many docs have a sliding scale so the more grafts you get the less the per graft cost. If you go in for a 2nd procedure some do not take into account the old surgery and start from scratch so you are back in at the higher rate for some of the grafts.

@Vainism,

There are plenty of outstanding FUE Doctors in Europe who perform some of the very best FUE in the world at reasonable prices. There is no need to pay 8 dollars for FUE in the U.S..

Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Feriduni, Dr. Lupanzula, Dr. Lorenzo to name a few.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

@delancey

How much does bisanga and Lorenzo charge I thought they rare roughly 6-8

Dr. Lorenzo charges

6 euros for the first 1000 grafts.

4 euros for the next 1000 grafts

2.5 euros per graft above 2000 grafts (this is also the price per graft in all subsequent procedures).

I cannot think of anyone better than Dr. Lorenzo at FUE. I've met him and he is as passionate as can be. And his pricing structure is lower than most North American FUE practitioners (at least the ones on here).

As far as I know, Dr. Bisanga charges less (per graft) than Dr. Lorenzo. You could always inquire about his pricing structure.

FUE prices are insane in the U.S.. especially considering how the very best are located in Europe (my opinion).

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Dr Bisanga is 5 Euro per for the 1st 1k grafts, then 3 Euro anything after.

I liked Dr Lorenzo as well, but I am not as thrilled with his hairline work as I am with his coverage work. If I were doing midscalp, crown or a mega session with fue I'd lean Lorenzo no question but for hairline I went with Bisanga. Personal preference but both docs are top of the food chain in fue I believe.

Am beginning to really research hair doctors and am realizing that the right answer for the number of grafts is: as many as you can get. Doesn't that make the most sense ? Why would a doctor do less than the most he can do?

For you, you need as many as you can get. I'm sure the doctor will sell you more grafts if he can. I need quite a bit so I expect to be told that I need as much as I can get.