Best way save face after HT

Hi Everyone,

Just looking to hear any thoughts on how people have or would try to cover up after getting a hair transplant. I'm considering the option, but I'm thinking about things like I would only be able to get 3 weeks off of work max, and that still leaves you well in the ugly duckling phase. Best advice on concealing it?

Cap or beanie, if your work allows it. 3 weeks off would be great. There are powder (fiber) concealers out there. How much hair do you have to comb and cover up? Ask work if you could wear a hat, if yes, then go styl'n.

Fortunately, I didn't have to shave my head. My doctor worked around my hairs. I was able to comb over the scar and the recipient area.

You could post some pix to show us what you've done or your idea to cover up. We'll give our opinions. :)

Edited by coolhairstyle002

I agree and the more existing native hair there is, the better able to disguise the visible signs of surgery.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On my second HT i knew the best method for me.

Buzz the hair down months before and people will be accustomed to you with short hair.

Day or two before i did grade 2 on top and grade 1 on donor area to which they left it as it was workable, no shaving from them.

Get a Cap adjustable and ensure clothing gos over head as in caught a graft n lost it.

After 12 days the scabs had gone and i used Dermatcn to just help a little.

I never grew my hair out n like it short with a little Dermatch still.

I am 2.5 months out from surgery and just today at lunch the lady that works the counter at a hamburger place I frequent that has not seen me lately said "wow....your hair....you cut it...looks great". She was being nice. It's funny how many people are so polite to tell you how great you look when you are in the middle of the ugly duckling stage. I guess them being polite is better than telling you the truth that you look like shit...lol.

Anyway....I replied "well yeah a haircut and something else". She looked puzzled and said "something else"? I said "yes I got a hair transplant and that's why I look the way I do". She immediately said "oh ok I see where you are going now" and thus for me the issue was addressed honestly and now is over....she knows...I know....the end.

Look I know not everybody can be as open and carefree, but for me "hiding" is much more painful. I'd rather just be confident in that I did the right thing for me....and screw anybody that doesn't approve or understand....because I am on my way back to better hair!

Edited by Shampoo

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

On my second HT i knew the best method for me.

Buzz the hair down months before and people will be accustomed to you with short hair.

Day or two before i did grade 2 on top and grade 1 on donor area to which they left it as it was workable, no shaving from them.

Get a Cap adjustable and ensure clothing gos over head as in caught a graft n lost it.

After 12 days the scabs had gone and i used Dermatcn to just help a little.

I never grew my hair out n like it short with a little Dermatch still.

I like this approach if your having FUE if its FUT well guess you have to keep some length in the back to comb over the stitches, which will proberly make it harder to keep clean until you have your stitches out, which is doable I guess.

I am 2.5 months out from surgery and just today at lunch the lady that works the counter at a hamburger place I frequent that has not seen me lately said "wow....your hair....you cut it...looks great". She was being nice. It's funny how many people are so polite to tell you how great you look when you are in the middle of the ugly duckling stage. I guess them being polite is better than telling you the truth that you look like shit...lol.

Anyway....I replied "well yeah a haircut and something else". She looked puzzled and said "something else"? I said "yes I got a hair transplant and that's why I look the way I do". She immediately said "oh ok I see where you are going now" and thus for me the issue was addressed honestly and now is over....she knows...I know....the end.

Look I know not everybody can be as open and carefree, but for me "hiding" is much more painful. I'd rather just be confident in that I did the right thing for me....and screw anybody that doesn't approve or understand....because I am on my way back to better hair!

I like your style! It's great if you're able to be open about it and certainly makes it less stressful.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

Hi Everyone,

Just looking to hear any thoughts on how people have or would try to cover up after getting a hair transplant. I'm considering the option, but I'm thinking about things like I would only be able to get 3 weeks off of work max, and that still leaves you well in the ugly duckling phase. Best advice on concealing it?

You might be able to get a doctor's note for keeping the head dressing on for a specific period of time after the procedure.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Nothing beats a hat if you can wear it. After 2-3 weeks you can go hatless, but you will likely still look a bit odd.

Also, the ugly duckling phase can last quite a while and, IMHO, is one of the hardest parts of the entire process. You are dealing with healing at the donor and recipient sites, you will likely lose hair due to shock loss (no way around it for most people), and you are dealing with the emotional strain of waiting for the grafts to grow.

Edited by Louisjams