Stopping pre-work out, BCAA's and creatine supplements before surgery?

Guys, what is the advice around taking/stopping sports supplements before surgery? I can't seem to find it in my emails at the moment, but I think I've read in the advice that I should stop vitamins and any meds that thin my blood a week before surgery. But I am not sure about sports supplements like prework, BCAA's, creatine etc?

My prework is Assault and my BCAA is Amino1, both by Muscle Pharm. Pre-workout has stuff like caffeine, beta-alanine, some creatine, etc. I also take a seperate serving of genric creatine monohydrate.

I would keep taking the bcaa. I remember I wasn't allowed to have caffeine the day of my surgery. so maybe skip that. btw, did you know that creatine raises dht? I would stop taking creatine for like 6 months just to give me the best chance of a successful transplant.

Every physician has their own pre-operative and post-operative instructions I don't recall any of my physicians suggesting that I stop taking pre-workout supplements however, I do believe I was told to stop taking multi-vitamins for a time before surgery. The principle here may be the same.

Many of these supplements thin the blood, which is bad for surgery. It makes clotting more difficult and as a result, you will bleed more during surgery. I would speak to your physician about this, but I would take any advice from your physician seriously.

Best wishes,

Bill

Try loading with Vitamin K two weeks before surgery, that will GREATLY reduce bleeding because its a blood clotting vitamin.

Dr. Hasson was very impressed by how little I bled during surgery

Thanks everyone. I totally didn't realise that Creatine raised DHT level, thats very annoying as I almost ordered a D Aspartic Acid supplment last week to boost testosterone but then realised the sides effects can be hairloss and of course didn't. Dutchie, thanks for the tip about Vitamin K, I'll look into that. I will double check with ASMED, but I suspect they won't be able to give a full answer on stuff like pre-workouts as they all differ, probably will just discontinue everything on week before just to be safe.

Dr. Behnam instructs his patients that they must take vit. K before every HT.

I have also noticed natural vitamin K works better than synthetic K:

pre-operative-instructions-hair transplant | Dr. Behnam

ONE WEEK BEFORE THE PROCEDURE

Vitamin K (either 100mcg or 125mcg from wholefoods), 3 tablets, three time a day, starting 4 days before the procedure. This is a total of 3,600 mcg of vitamin K , which is not really a lot. This makes the blood thicker so there is less bleeding. In hospital setting 10,000 mcg is given at once to minimize bleeding, so 3,600 over a 4 day period is not a lot. This prevents bruising. Vitamin K can be purchased from wholefoods or other food stores

Thanks for the link. It sounds like it would be worth while doing but I'll double check with Asmed just to get the official okay from them.

Guys, what is the advice around taking/stopping sports supplements before surgery? I can't seem to find it in my emails at the moment, but I think I've read in the advice that I should stop vitamins and any meds that thin my blood a week before surgery. But I am not sure about sports supplements like prework, BCAA's, creatine etc?

My prework is Assault and my BCAA is Amino1, both by Muscle Pharm. Pre-workout has stuff like caffeine, beta-alanine, some creatine, etc. I also take a seperate serving of genric creatine monohydrate.

Is your doctor aware of the workout supplements you are taking?

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Actually no as I hadn't overly considered the need to tell them as its just general over the counter supplements, however following the Dutchie advice to take Vit K before the op I'm going to email them this week to ask about that and mention the supplements.

I think I cycled off creatine right after my HT, mostly because it suggested not to work out for 10 days.

I never really thought about it. I have been taking creatine and working out as usual since my HT and don't see any issue or reason to stop.

I don't think creatine can increase DHT anyway.

I think I cycled off creatine right after my HT, mostly because it suggested not to work out for 10 days.

I never really thought about it. I have been taking creatine and working out as usual since my HT and don't see any issue or reason to stop.

I don't think creatine can increase DHT anyway.

So I emailed ASMED and they haven't gone into specfic's why, but have advised me to stop taking my supplements 3 weeks before the surgery. I wonder if it would really make a difference to the surgery/outcome but I will of course follow their advice.

I also asked if I could take Vit K and they said the doctor doesn't recommend vitamin k, it can cause trombosite (think that translate into thrombosis) so while it sounded like a good idea (and clearly some docs recommend) I won't as I don't want to go against their advice.