Post op - Shock loss question.

So the post op shock loss blues have well & truly set in. I am back to looking for signs of recovery with the magnifying glass from every angle & lighting possible.

Just wondering, if the hair is shocked out in an area that the surgeon transplanted, should the recipient mark from the needle, slit blade or whatever still be visible? Am I right in thinking that the follicle from a transplant would be quite large & obvious given that only recently it was created by the surgeon?

If the hairs cant be seen, at least the needle mark for the newly implanted follicle should be right?

Mikey,

How many days out are you? The slits or needle holes heal up pretty quickly. So it is possible that you could shed a graft and still wouldn't be able to pick up on the recipient incision only 10 days or so later.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I agree with Blake that the post operative holes shouldn't take long to heal. If you can post some photos that would be helpful. Also I don't know how far along after surgery bar so it's hard to comment that said, try not to become too worried or depressed about shock loss and looking the same or worse than before surgery up to only a couple month out. This is very normal and I had to go through it 4 times.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks Bill.

I possibly wouldn't be so concerned if I hadn't been through such a bad experience a year ago - or if the shock loss was even but given both of those factors I am pretty uptight.

I know I went with a top notch surgeon however, so have confidence there.

Cheers.

Edited by Mikey1970

Here is the photo of my current shock loss.

I feel for you, pal.

My transplant was last month and I am the ugly duckling for now.

Attached pics show my current situation (and the shock loss is shocking :eek:)

Note: I believe the shock loss was because I didn't take propecia immediately after surgery, not heeding the advice of my HT-doc.

5b32edd8c3001_200myPre-op1daypost-op1monthlater(Shockloss).thumb.jpg.b898679e07ec981d8f2261e59c71e035.jpg

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

It truly does suck doesn't it!

That said, I cant be any more certain that my surgeon did a fantastic job! I watched every implant on a TV monitor & saw the quality of the grafts he was using. His attention to detail was amazing.

I think for those of us that have considerable native hair left, shock loss is something that can't really be avoided completely, regardless of how good the surgeon's technique is.

I think that shock loss is one of the hardest things about the whole process, regardless of whether it is your first procedure or a subsequent procedure.

First, there is the stress and anxiety leading up to the procedure, then the procedure itself (which is many ways is relatively easy), then the immediate healing period of a few weeks when you have to deal with donor and recipient area scars/crusting/sutures/staples/what have you.

Then, just as you are getting your footing again, shock loss sets in. It can be a real kick in the teeth! Many people look worse than they did before the transplant for a time. It can be very, very tough to go through this. VERY TOUGH. Sadly, there is really nothing to do except wait at this point. Time heals all wounds, even HT wounds, but I wish sometimes we could make it go faster.

Yes. I have experienced temporary and permanent shock loss before! Interestingly on previous occasions the temporary shock loss hit me 2-3 weeks post op, whereas the permanent shock loss hit me approx. 3 months post op. No idea if this is common or of any relevance.

I suffered what some have PM'd me as the worst shock loss they'd ever seen. I just pulled my cap down further, held on thru months 2-4, and seem to be in the clear now

My progress is in the thread below, with a pic of my shock loss at its worst. It got better...

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

Mikey,

Sorry you're going down the shock loss road again! I still remember reading about your experience the first time. Based on that picture you showed, I wouldn't expect this to be permanent. Just keep in mind that it can take a while for the shock loss to resolve cosmetically. In some cases, the follicle just starts to wake up around the 6 month mark. This means a new hair -- which may be thinner and wispy after the prolonged resting phase -- just starts to grow at this point. Hair only grows around a 1/2 inch per month in healthy follicles, so you could be looking at a few months just to get decent density in the area after the follicle wakes up. Having said that, I do see most quite well resolved by month 6.

Now, I don't write this to scare you. But just to remind you that it does take time in some instances, and I wouldn't be concerned even up until later months. But rest assured that yours looks like a temporary area, and it will likely come back in time without issue.

Keep us updated!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 2 months later...

A happy update regarding my shock loss.

I immediately started back up on Fin + Minox after realizing shock loss was occurring (Day 30 post-op). After about 3 months, I've gotten back into decent shape (see Day 111 post-op).

5b32ef7851fae_layoutupload-Copy.thumb.jpg.e390be11d36fbc6cd454035d4651b278.jpg

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.