Should I Pluck Miniturized Hairs Prior to HT?

This may sound silly, but before I have my hair transplant in a few months should I remove the miniaturized native hairs on my crown area to make room for my new implants?

Some of the native hairs will not grow anymore and will most likely fall out due to shock loss anyway. I am using minoxidil but doesn't seem to help anymore plus Finasteride is out of the question....I like my libido and so does my spouse!

IMHO I feel the short hairs will just be in the way plus it will give my surgeon a clean uncluttered scalp to work with but I need some expert advice...comments please!:D

Edited by Qneedhair

Plucking may damage the hair follicle - and whether it was a miniaturized hair or not, the body is going to react to the trauma that causes. So now you're going to inflict even more trauma by getting a HT - and your body will react to that also - so it's putting extra stress on the healing system. And you may just screw up the entire thing by messing with your head before the HT. You're not going to 'make room' for the new grafts, there's room enough without causing additional disruption prior to the procedure. At least that's what I think.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

No you should not!

When patients have surgery more often they get there head shaved down, some doctors will even leave your hair long if you choose not to, but it is best for the doctor so he/ she can have a clear playing field.

When you had your hair evaluated by your HT doctor, he or she used a special pair of goggles right? Well they can magnify to each & ever hair folical you have. They can see gaps the human eye could not see. So this is the type of tool the doctor will use on you to see what he or she is doing weather there is native hair there or not.

Edited by ontop
edit

Another vote for no.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I guess because you would be plucking filler. Even if it miniaturized, it still helps. It is not going to cause the doc to implant less dense. Trust us...don't do it.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

It is also helpful for the surgeon to see how your FUs are naturally occurring in your scalp. They try and follow the same pattern that was established at birth.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I've plucked out miniaturized hairs before, they just came back thin like they were before. I'm looking forward to hair coming back thicker now that I'm taking Dutasteride.

Can you explain a logical reason why on earth would you do this to yourself?

Simply put, this is a bad idea. While hairs miniaturizing are going to grow back slower, thinner, finer and shorter, I don't see the point in trying to expedite the process. If anything, I would advise you to try Propecia or Rogaine that may actually increase the chance that these Harris will not only survive, but grow back for and thicker. These nonsurgical treatments can reverse the hair loss process. If anything, I would suggest going that route and not trying to make yourself more bald.

The fact that you are even interested in plucking hairs makes me worried that you may be suffering from trichotillomania, hair pulling condition characterized by I'm impulse control disorder. I do hope that is not the case because if it is, hair transplant surgery is not for you because you'll end up pulling all that hair out.

Best wishes,

Bill

Anthony,

I want to add that plucking hairs will not make them grow back any faster. In fact, you could be potentially damaging the roof if you continue to pull hair. Plucking hair every now and then probably won't damage the route, but it is simply not a good idea. Just let dutasteride do its job and don't pluck any hair.

Best wishes,

Bill