4.5 years post-op update - need input

Have not done anything since HT #3, but re-evaluating & still looking for "filler" solutions. Just wanted to see what's changed, if anything, in the last 3 years since I last posted.

Latest pics attached.

As I mentioned in my past threads, another procedure whether FUT or FUE is not an option since I've already done 3 HTs and my scalp laxity is almost null. Anything other than SMP, BHT? Or should I just wait for Shiseido, RepliCell, etc. to come thru with multiplication/cloning?

5b32ed8e75c4e_HT-4.5YPOST-OP-06-16-1.jpg.3d0417a0d13e9bc0a10c5dec7430b328.jpg

5b32ed8e96755_HT-4.5YPOST-OP-06-16-2.thumb.jpg.fe67c7d99238129f27872d435bb9b0d0.jpg

5b32ed8eca0e7_HT-4.5YPOST-OP-06-16-3.thumb.jpg.72532ee3f3ea7df8cd0c5e2c320887da.jpg

5b32ed8ee3f47_HT-4.5YPOST-OP-06-16-4.thumb.jpg.15025ff4d8772c32fa753e81e3a60118.jpg

i wouldnt hold your hopes on cloning unless you can wait another 10 or 20 yrs.

looks like your front has held on well but the back is kinda thin so it could be worth looking into

face hair as a fuller, that could work.

Have you seen a HT doc lately to take a look if he can grab some FUEs?

Are you any Meds at this time?

Great advice from ontop! Are you certain you have no FUE grafts left in reserve? If not, beard hair is likely your best option at this time. I wouldn't count on cloning or any sort of hair replication to be available for many years to come.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

i wouldnt hold your hopes on cloning unless you can wait another 10 or 20 yrs.

looks like your front has held on well but the back is kinda thin so it could be worth looking into

face hair as a fuller, that could work.

Have you seen a HT doc lately to take a look if he can grab some FUEs?

Are you any Meds at this time?

Beard hair is all white now, so wouldn't match. My doc that did the previous HTs had added FUE soon after my last (3rd) procedure: FUE | Follicular Unit Extraction

His site pretty much spells out the risks of FUE. I trust his expertise more than anyone else's.

He is a coalition member: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/JosephWilliamsMD

Maybe I should re-consult him since it's been over 4 years since my last procedure (I did all 3 HTs with him starting in 2006).

I am on blood pressure and blood thinner meds; would have to stop the thinner for a couple days, but that's no big deal, as I had a surgery 2 years ago and zero problems.

Edited by MCS

Are you certain you have no FUE grafts left in reserve?

No, and now that you and ontop have mentioned it, perhaps it's time for a re-evaluation with my doc. Any thoughts on SMP?

Edited by MCS

I would look deeper into FUE. While your doctor's website is still up to date regarding the cons of FUE, they can be mitigate and the yield is very good now by a good physician and team.

I would be interested in knowing where you started with a pretty open pic and your age. Seems like you have had a nice result that could use a bump, but still stands on its own.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Have a look at mfue by feller & Bloxham and/or Lindsey.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I would look deeper into FUE. While your doctor's website is still up to date regarding the cons of FUE, they can be mitigate and the yield is very good now by a good physician and team.

I would be interested in knowing where you started with a pretty open pic and your age. Seems like you have had a nice result that could use a bump, but still stands on its own.

Here's one of my original threads: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/169274-1-year-post-op.html

I am now 56.

Seem like your Dr is Pro FUT but I know hes done a great job on you over the years & maybe a time to change over your coach so to speak.

I would have several FUE Doctors take a look & see what they say, you never know they may say that they can get 1k 1500 grafts out safely.

Also not sure what you mean about your beard being grey, you can always dye your hair or leave it go grey naturally which would blend in nice with the face hair eventually.

Smp maybe worth a look into not sure if it be effective with your length of hair though plus smp need to be maintained & with your comments regarding concealers that maybe not the

route you wanna go down to especially being in your 50s , I know I wouldnt but each to there own.

I guess your not on any meds right now also right?

Anyways take your time seek advice from several top HT Doctors, I feel there is a happy medium there somewhere for you to live with.

I wish you well.

Seem like your Dr is Pro FUT but I know hes done a great job on you over the years & maybe a time to change over your coach so to speak.

I would have several FUE Doctors take a look & see what they say, you never know they may say that they can get 1k 1500 grafts out safely.

Also not sure what you mean about your beard being grey, you can always dye your hair or leave it go grey naturally which would blend in nice with the face hair eventually.

Smp maybe worth a look into not sure if it be effective with your length of hair though plus smp need to be maintained & with your comments regarding concealers that maybe not the

route you wanna go down to especially being in your 50s , I know I wouldnt but each to there own.

I guess your not on any meds right now also right?

Anyways take your time seek advice from several top HT Doctors, I feel there is a happy medium there somewhere for you to live with.

I wish you well.

Not on any DHT-blocking meds, no.

• Administrators

At 56 I think you have a great head of hair, if I were you I would forget about touching the crown and work on the lateral humps, that is really what's going to make your side profile view look good, not to mention it will take less hair to create density then it would in your crown. It's clear that without transplants you would be a NW6 by now.

Do you mind posting some pictures of your donor?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Per Bill...

MCS,

FYI, Dr. Williams is no longer a member of the Coalition. Due to inactivity on the forum, we felt it was best for both him and this community to go our separate ways. I guess his social profile hasn't been updated however, he no longer has a recommendation or Coalition profile on the Hair Transplant Network or the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center. Since he didn't login and update his social profile, I will go ahead and make that change.

Best wishes,

Bill

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

After yesterday's consultation with my long-standing surgeon and from what I've briefly researched, FUE transection rates vary widely, and are not just reliant on the skill of the surgeon but, as he explained, on the mechanics of harvesting the grafts themselves. Thus, there looks to be a lot of mistruths and outright lies being touted by those who say "oh, FUT is obsolete now, we do nothing but FUE, and our transection rate is only 2%." The reality, he claims, is more like 20-30%. Furthermore, the automated robot machines that some are using for FUE don't get the same yield as what some of the FUE surgeons are charging their patients for and the grafts are shot into a tube and into a glass, further subjecting them to unnecessary stress.

Bottom line is that my doc does FUE, but was very transparent in educating me on the risks. He still feels that the best yield still results from FUT, hands down. I can at least attest to that firsthand, having had three HTs now, with a total of nearly 10K grafts total to my credit, with minimal scarring as a result. I just had more loss than we had donor hair for, and still do.

I have not consulted other docs in my area (Las Vegas), but leave that option open, though my level of trust and comfort have are still with him.

Recommendations to me:

Although my laxity has improved markedly since he last did a post-op follow-up on me 09-12, he still would like to see increased laxity and suggested scalp exercises as a pre-op prep. He now feels we can get a pretty good yield of grafts, somewhere around 2000, using mostly FUT and combining it with FUE, especially in the scar area (which are not visible with my current hair length). This would get as close as possible to achieving the density I desire, especially in the crown. This was just not a possibility 4 years back.

Edited by MCS

Sounds like you're on track to coming up with a solid game plan. Also, I would like to add that all things considered, your hair looks fantastic. I agree with HTsoon who mentioned that focusing on the lateral humps may be a good idea, as you may get more mileage out of the grafts that way. Regardless, I'm happy to hear that you have some options moving forward.

As for that FUE vs. Strip debate, it will never end. :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56